Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: HEY CHRIS WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?! WHERE ARE YOU? Finally answe  (Read 34076 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile

I love physical books but I hate owning and storing stuff, so I'm constantly at odds with myself. I try to get things at the library, since I don't have an e-reader, but I'll also buy a book used and then sell it back unless I really think I'll use it again.

I've found that knitting books and cookbooks -- or really anything that contains really useful reference information -- are worth keeping around. But at this point, the only reason I'd ever want to buy physical book that wasn't nonfiction would be either (a) to read in the tub/at the beach or (b) if I loved it so much I wanted a copy to loan out to friends.

I solve (a) by using magazines for that purpose and (b) by not having friends.

I do love magazines. There's a certain impermanence about them that appeals to me. They're a very low-commitment reading experience, which is about all I have time for these days.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

By the way, I don't have an ereader either. I downloaded the Kindle software to my laptop. I am finding it's just as comfortable to read as an actual Kindle.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile

I didn't know you could do that. I have a netbook, that would be very convenient.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

I do love magazines. There's a certain impermanence about them that appeals to me. They're a very low-commitment reading experience, which is about all I have time for these days.

I stopped reading magazines the day I bought a Tivo. I quickly realized I did 99% of my magazine reading while "watching" the shows that were on in between the shows I actually wanted to watch. Like whatever Comedy Central used to put on between the 7pm Daily Show rerun and primetime. Once I got a Tivo and no longer had to watch those shows I no longer had a reason to pick up a magazine. My novel reading did pick-up, though.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

If you decide to listen, note that they don't manage to get started on the topic till about 25 minutes in.

Lazy cocksuckers. Fuck those guys.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

Quote from: wombat
they agree with many of you that think he is a whiner and he should have thanked the readers.  Also a lot of stuff about art and commerce. And the creative process.

Oh man. These guys are such soulless hucksters in the other direction that I WANT to sympathize with Onstad's position more than I do.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

I like books too, but would drop them like a bad habit if I had an ereader.  What I'm learning from this thread though is that they need to make them more water resistant.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

I've got the Kindle software on my phone.  So far I've only used it while I'm riding a stationary bike. I like it.  But I'll never give up books.  Never.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

I don't understand why discussions of ebooks ALWAYS end up being about either/or. I don't think anyone is suggesting paper books are ever going to completely go away.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile

Oh man. These guys are such soulless hucksters in the other direction that I WANT to sympathize with Onstad's position more than I do.

LFM hates everybody!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

Well, it sounds like most people in here are cool with having both except for Paul, who of course is a philistine.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile

I don't understand why discussions of ebooks ALWAYS end up being about either/or. I don't think anyone is suggesting paper books are ever going to completely go away.

I've got an either or mind on this one.  I don't want to appear to support the e-book movement in any way.  It's my alligence with struggling small house booksellers.  I'll be one of the last hold outs for sure.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

I think that actually ebooks are going to make small publishers more viable and this can only be good for the book business in the long run. In fact the last thing I bought was direct from a small publisher I'd never heard of before.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

Burn all books.  Fahrenheit 451 bitches.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

LFM hates everybody!

To be fair, that podcast sucks.  I haven't even gotten to the part about Onstad and I am ready to delete it.  They have absolutely nothing to say.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Up