I like LFM's theory, but I'm guessing it was easier to leave a few things up for sale on MySpace than on the website where it was easier to just take the whole store down.
You know, it is OK with me if he stops writing the comic, but dammit, why not sell stuff? I want a new apron. New people who find the comic will want to buy stuff. People who buy the Dark hoss books will want to buy stuff.
I get what you say, LFM, about Kurtz going too far about the "monetize" thing, but I also sort of see what he's saying. Another thing those guys discuss at length is how crazy it seems, from the point of view of another creator, that someone successful would just walk away from it. I can understand if he is done writing it and wants to do other things creatively, but why not keep selling stuff if only to bring in cash while those new projects aren't making money yet. Lots of creative work keeps making money after it is done. If you're lucky enough to be making royalties off a book that's already published you don't turn them down because you're working on a new book. And aren't they still selling products with Peanuts on them long after the creator is DEAD, for pete's sake?
Of course maybe there are factors I don't understand about how much trouble it is too sell stuff vs how much sales slow down once there aren't new updates. But again - there aren't new updates of Peanuts, right? And couldn't he pack up my apron for shipping while he's watching TV in the evening or something? Does it really have to cut into novel-writing time? Dammit, I want a new apron.