Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I want a new guitar  (Read 7459 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I want a new guitar
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 03:32:30 pm »

I want a lap steel.  I've been playing a friends dobro a fair amount, and I think lap steel would be an interesting way to progress.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: I want a new guitar
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 05:42:02 pm »

I haven't played my electric in a while, but I really like my Godin electric.   It was a good midpoint between my Plywood 80's Kramer with crappy sustain and getting a $1000+ big boy guitar made from some hardwood that only appears in one area of Louisiana Swamp.

Godin makes some nice stuff.   Nabu, if you want to try mine, you're welcome to borrow it and give it a play. 
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I want a new guitar
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 05:49:11 pm »

If all you SG owners/wanters would excuse my frankness, I think the SG is a crappy model.  It was pretty much Les Paul's failed experiment that Gibson never stopped producing.

If you really want a solid, high quality (read: expensive) double-cutaway, you should get a PRS.  If you really want a Gibson, you should get a Les Paul.  Also alot of Les Pauls aren't good, you got to find a good one.  And PRS's are ugly and boring.

It's just that the SG body feels so weak to me.  I'm sure you can find ones with good sustain, but I dunno... I just find the bodies too wafer-ish and small.  But when I play a LP it makes me think, "I could kill a man with this.  And not just by hitting him with it, also by playing the perfect note."

And SGs are red.  red.  red.  red.  I don't dislike it, but when I see a LP with the just the perfect finish...  I feel my soul cum.  Natural sunburst.  Honeyburst.  Heritage cherry sunburst.  White (gold hardware).  Black.  Fuck.  Looking into the finish of a Les Paul > looking into your lover's eyes.



But when it comes down to it, I think all electric guitars should die.  I could go the rest of my life not hearing distorted guitar ever again and be perfectly happy.  Sick of steel strings too, my next guitar is nylon acoustic electric, probably a Yamaha.  Everyone should be playing acoustics, but as soon as the crap you're playing starts sounding like folk music, the guitar should be kicked in and destroyed.

Ideally I would have all guitars destroyed except for fretless basses and lap steels.  Get with the times people.

You know that I love you, RG, but based on many of the things you wrote, I'm going to take your advice with a grain of salt. I've seen SGs in red, black, woodgrain, and other finishes.

I was going to get snarky here about people who've played them (surprise, surprise, I know) but I'll just lay out that Keef and Mick Taylor both played them at times, as did Zappa. Jimmy Page played that doubleneck which wasn't really an SG but kind of was. Carl Perkins. John McLaughlin. George Harrison. Etc. None of this really matters - I started this thread looking for advice, and I've gotten some good stuff. I'm not looking for a fretless bass or a lap steel, so rock on with your bad self, brother! I promise I will never play distorted guitar for you unless you specifically ask me to.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I want a new guitar
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 05:49:43 pm »

I haven't played my electric in a while, but I really like my Godin electric.   It was a good midpoint between my Plywood 80's Kramer with crappy sustain and getting a $1000+ big boy guitar made from some hardwood that only appears in one area of Louisiana Swamp.

Godin makes some nice stuff.   Nabu, if you want to try mine, you're welcome to borrow it and give it a play. 

Really? I will contact you about this.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: I want a new guitar
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 06:41:52 pm »

Really? I will contact you about this.

For certain.


I mentioned else-thread that I had just discovered and was listening to the Beatles.   The vector for this was Beatles: Rock Band, and then the easily accessible catalog on iTunes.   

I'm also discovering that I think I've spent a long time playing the wrong instrument.   I love playing the (fake) drums.   To the point where I think I want to learn to play real drums.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I want a new guitar
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 07:02:53 pm »

I wanted to play drums, but my wife got to choose first.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: I want a new guitar
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 04:14:33 am »

You know that I love you, RG, but based on many of the things you wrote, I'm going to take your advice with a grain of salt. I've seen SGs in red, black, woodgrain, and other finishes.

Yeah, I've seen them but they're pretty rare, not easy to come by besides for black.  Natural finish SG = best SG.

Have you played the SG?  After my entry-level guitar, SG was the first real guitar I wanted until I played it.  I was like, "dis sux."  Now it's all about the lap steel with a synth pickup.  Don't tell anyone, they'll steal my ideas.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I want a new guitar
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 03:38:51 pm »

I have played the SG, but not, like, for six months straight or anything. Maybe I should get this Moog guitar?

My feeling about the SG is that it's a little heavier than I'm used to, and I not really comfortable with how wide the neck is. One friend of mine has one with a narrow neck (pretty rare, but not unheard of). I really like it. He also has a flying V and (I think) a Melody Maker. He's the guy I think I mentioned who has moved to pretty much just playing a Telecaster. He did loan me the Melody Maker for a while, and I really liked it, too. I may get a chance to play the Tele at our party - he's going to be using our kit, but he may bring a guitar or two over.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I want a new guitar
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 03:45:29 pm »

I'm going to toss this auction in here although it'll be broken eventually.

Quote from: some ebay dude
First we have a mid-late 60's non reverse Gibson Firebird with custom emgs....the guitar has an old headstock repair and is stable, when repaired they took the serial off as well....thats why i dont have a 6-8000 dollar tag on it but it is authentic and screams! has gold hardware, schaller tuners, killer bridge with fine tuners, currently has flatwounds on it.comes with hardshell case...Old but not sure if its original or not....The finish has allot of checking in it and man its a great vintage guitar at a price you won't ever find again....it was also used by the band 'the replacements' at one time.....also the lepord print stripe is just a tape and comes rite off.

You don't say. Inev, I think this is in your neck of the woods, roughly? If you buy this for me I'll come visit you and pay you back for it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I want a new guitar
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 06:08:20 pm »

in the world where I had $2000, I would do that for you. Which is probably proof that I need to learn to not trust people on the internet. Or something.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: I want a new guitar
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 08:50:25 pm »

i didnt think of that.  someone might could be looking for a kidney on platinum ebay......
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I want a new guitar
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 08:59:54 pm »

Platinum ebay? Do you have to be a Stonecutter to get in there?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I want a new guitar
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 02:49:32 am »

Platinum ebay? Do you have to be a Stonecutter to get in there?

Yeah, or Ray.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I want a new guitar
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 03:24:23 am »

Yeah, or Ray.
I always forget there was a comic.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I want a new guitar
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2011, 06:28:30 pm »

I don't know what it has to do with a "pawn shop," but this new Mustang looks bad-ass.

Lately I want to swap my Jag's pickups for humbuckers. Somewhere I saw some humbuckers that are specifically made to be the size/shape of single-coils so it would be easy to do this kind of swap.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up