So I might get to see the Yankees play us in Seattle next week, and I'm excited about the prospect of throwing fake money at A-Rod (I'm a decade late but I never got to see any of the Seattle v Texas games after he left Seattle) and, as my friend suggested, chant "Gay-Rod" over and over. And this guy at work, who also hates the Yankees, lectured me about how you can't blame the guy for leaving Seattle because it was a better career move, it's not his fault that baseball is all about money now and that I'm probably just bitter and jealous. And he's right about the bitterness, though I'm not jealous and I still idolize former Mariners like Griffey and Randy Johnson (though for him it's mostly for the 2001 World Series). But for me, sports is in large part about hating the bad guys. Maybe A-Rod's the greatest guy in the world and I could sit down and have a beer with him and talk baseball and Madonna and whatever but when he dons his pinstripes he's a fuck*ng traitor and even though he's on my fantasy roster I hope he fuck*ng chokes. Why A-Rod? Why have I hated him since he left for Texas and not every good player that has left for money or a better shot at real post-season action? I don't know. But it's sports, it's a bit of fun and it's pointless to criticize fans as irrational because that's what makes it fun. Well, at least makes it more fun, for me.
But I do think it sucks that outside of the Yankees and after free agency, it's rare to see a star stick around for all or even most of his career. That's probably why Edgar and Ichiro rank so highly for me, or partly why. They're also fuck*ng tremendous ball players.
But anyway when I watched San Jose defeat the Canucks in San Jose last night, I was thinking, has it ever even snowed in San Jose? Fuck those guys. So I get that sentiment.
Also, LFM, how good was it to see the Mets beat the Yankees in the Bronx?