Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I never...  (Read 16036 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2011, 10:54:14 pm »

This is the difference between you and city kids like me and Cort. To is, sleeping in a tent is sleeping OUTSIDE.

Winnipeg is where I've lived my whole life, and it's city with a population of over 694,000.  If you look at Wikipedia (oh, I know but walk with me here)   Boston, Seattle, Nashville, Denver all have lower populations than my fair city.  Of course my city is a nightmare of horrible urban sprawl, but like many a city, the census for my city doesn't take into account many of the smaller communities outside the city boundaries.

I've never lived anywhere but where my ancestors came from.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2011, 12:43:51 am »

I waterskiied a lot when I was younger, because my best friend's parents had a lake house, and they would let me tag along for weekend trips several times a summer. I never got hurt, but I was under 12, so that probably had something to do with it.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I never...
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2011, 01:26:27 am »

Yeah, I used to waterski a lot, too.

I never dated anyone for more than six months that I didn't subsequently marry.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2011, 01:56:48 am »

Winnipeg is where I've lived my whole life, and it's city with a population of over 694,000.  If you look at Wikipedia (oh, I know but walk with me here)   Boston, Seattle, Nashville, Denver all have lower populations than my fair city.  Of course my city is a nightmare of horrible urban sprawl, but like many a city, the census for my city doesn't take into account many of the smaller communities outside the city boundaries.

I don't believe this. I know for a fact that in your part of Canada, the snowdrifts are up to the eaves eight months of the year and the wolves are howling at your door. Don't ruin it for me.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2011, 02:01:31 am »

Oh, yeah well that's the reason I've never slept outside.  A wolf will nibble your womb right out while you sleep if you don't watch out.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2011, 02:40:13 am »

Sergei Prokofiev, eat your womb out.

Because of Peter and the Wolf, get it? Sorry, that might only be funny inside my head.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I never...
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2011, 02:47:54 am »

I'm so glad glad someone else in TOUAMBIE knows this thing.

Wolves, don't fall for 'em 'cause they'll eat your womb out.

Seems like there's something here about the problem with wolves is that they're not willing to eat your womb out.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2011, 04:12:09 am »

I haven't waterskied or camped since I was a teenager.  Did both a lot back then.

City populations can be very misleading.  You need the SMSA population to make a reasonable comparison.  F'rinstance, the Boston metro area has 7.5 million people, Seattle 4.2 and Denver 3.  NashVegas has about 1.6 and thus is very similar to my own hometown Metro area, Louisville at 1.5.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2011, 04:56:18 am »

In Winnipeg we count the Sasquatches as people.  I'm not sure if that skews things or if they're counted as people in the US too.  The census can be tricky for the Inuit locally too, as they typically count Inuksuit as family members, which can lead can all sorts of problems.  Likewise, census takers don't count the people in homes with snow drifts over four feet blocking the front walks unless the household has empties stacked by the door, or at least a couple drunk up mickies. It's called the drift/hoser goodwill ratio.  Luckily we had a chinook around the time of the 2006 census, so I'm guessing the numbers are more accurate for that year.  Considering most Canucks probably filled out their 2011 census forms at Timmie's over a double-double because Roll Up the Rim was on, I'm thinking the numbers will generally pretty good this time around too.  We're not typically shit disturbers up here, eh?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2011, 08:35:27 am »

Seems like there's something here about the problem with wolves is that they're not willing to eat your womb out.

Wolves are survivors they know they have to nibble through the uterus to get at that rich, life-giving placenta.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2011, 12:44:11 pm »

In Winnipeg we count the Sasquatches as people.  I'm not sure if that skews things or if they're counted as people in the US too.  The census can be tricky for the Inuit locally too, as they typically count Inuksuit as family members, which can lead can all sorts of problems.  Likewise, census takers don't count the people in homes with snow drifts over four feet blocking the front walks unless the household has empties stacked by the door, or at least a couple drunk up mickies. It's called the drift/hoser goodwill ratio.  Luckily we had a chinook around the time of the 2006 census, so I'm guessing the numbers are more accurate for that year.  Considering most Canucks probably filled out their 2011 census forms at Timmie's over a double-double because Roll Up the Rim was on, I'm thinking the numbers will generally pretty good this time around too.  We're not typically shit disturbers up here, eh?

Cann'd for the most beautifully self-deprecating bit of Canadian humor I've ever read, heard or experienced. Smells, you're heck of hilarious.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2011, 04:02:25 pm »

I've never lived anywhere but where my ancestors came from.
Would that fact alone keep you from moving?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2011, 04:05:07 pm »

Inuksuit?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2011, 06:01:43 pm »

There aren't enough cans in the world for that. If Smells doesn't write a book someday, I am going to be very angry.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I never...
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2011, 09:59:19 pm »

Inuksuit?

Plural of Inukshuk.

There aren't enough cans in the world for that. If Smells doesn't write a book someday, I am going to be very angry.

Thanks.  I was looking into Canadianisms and surprised that "shit disturber" isn't a universal term in the English language.

Would that fact alone keep you from moving?

Quite possibly.  Considering I come from a cultural group that is basically based in my province and one province over, with a small scattering in other places in the country...  I dunno.  It's nice to not have to explain myself to people.  I work for a Metis organization right now, and there's something really relaxing about being around a bunch of people who understand my experiences. 

Then again, there is always the temptation to go somewhere completely different.  I like to see a different country every other year or so, so maybe that's the panacea for that?

Edit: link issues.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 03:43:20 am by Nabubrush »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up