Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Some TV show I didn't just see.  (Read 59007 times)

0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2014, 12:59:40 am »

I'm only on like episode 2 (been busy of late), but so far it's been beautifully wacky and unhinged. I only wish I knew japanese because keeping up with the insane pace of dialogue via subs—all while trying to appreciate the insanity that's going on onscreen—can prove difficult.

And now, Doc, I'ma go listen to the FLCL soundtrack and weep for a lost childhood. God damn that show was beautiful.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2014, 04:36:29 am »

My roommate and I tried FLCL yesterday and were not getting it. I will try another ep soon.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2014, 02:38:38 pm »

My roommate and I tried FLCL yesterday and were not getting it. I will try another ep soon.

I like the soundtrack but don't like the show. My understanding is that's kind of a parody but was mostly industry people blowing off steam and has lots of in-jokes that take a real otaku to fully appreciate.
Logged

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2014, 04:11:50 pm »

I always just saw FLCL as a lighter take on the themes Gainax took a sledgehammer to in the EVA series: a buncha weird ***** adventures as a metaphor for adolescence. Then again, my love of that show might be just the result of a right-time right-place kinda thing.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2014, 11:29:15 am »

That last one-take shot in "True Detective"'s last ep. Oohh yeah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_HuFuKiq8U
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2014, 02:00:45 pm »

yeah goddamn, that's an incredible shot on a fantastic show. the wife and i are loving every second of it, and we just sat there agog during that scene.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2014, 09:10:29 pm »

I posted this on my tumblr (hence the op-ed-like tone, you know, like you're talking to no one and everybody at the same time). Since we had mentioned True Detective, here it goes:

Behind all the feminist squawking about “unidimensional female characters” in True Detective, it’s easy to spot the real issue: the show’s protagonists are not females. It is simple as that, after all, Commander Speece is very unidimensional too; so was Reggie Ledoux, detectives Papania and Gilbough, Rev. Tuttle, Ginger and all the rest of the cast, males and females, since, well, they are not the protagonists. Not everybody gets to be on the limelight, fellas (and dames). That something as simple as this can be overlooked only confirms to me that Gender Studies are the bane of critical thinking and artistic appreciation.

In True Detective, a female brothel owner verbally stumps detective Marty Hart re: his views on prostitution; a young female law intern shows agency while simultaneously giving Marty Hart a piece of her mind regarding men (“liars and bullies” is the gist of it as I remember it, and considering Marty’s actions, it wasn’t a far-fetched assessment), and in more than one occasion his wife Maggie shows a level of maturity, intelligence and capacity for empathy that her husband can’t even begin to imagine (her speech about having had to “navigate brute men who thought themselves clever” comes to mind — so much for not even being a protagonist, eh). But of course that is not enough. There’s a scene where Marty Hart barges into the hospital where Maggie works. The scene is played with Hart as a bumbling, sniveling brat caught red-handed and pleading for a second chance, while Maggie, shown fully in control of her environment and her feelings, proceeds to trounce him verbally, her stethoscope dangling angrily for her shoulders (“See? She’s not only a woman and wife: she’s a professional working on a physically and mentally demanding area!”). She is completely in charge, the perfect image of righteous anger. I can only imagine Nic Pizzolatto writing this scene, striking his keyboard excitedly, pumping his fist in the air and celebrating what he thought would be a clear-cut display of even-handedness. Poor bastard. It will never be enough — even if the rumours are confirmed and the detectives for the next season are females, it will not be enough.

The only thing I take from all the rethorical cesspool I’ve seen on tumblr regarding this subject is that perhaps you shouldn’t expect Proust-like depth from your weekly serial entertainment to begin with.

p.s.: It’s hard for me not to cringe and roll eyes at all the T&A going on in this series, but it’s not due to any prefab notions about power dynamics between the sexes: it’s just that I like to think myself above such easy baiting of my lower instincts (the thing is: the last I heard, sex was still selling).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:26:41 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2014, 09:58:43 pm »

the last I heard, sex was still selling

If there are titties involved then sign me up!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2014, 10:11:08 pm »

Do you still remember how many titties there are in this series?

So many titties.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2014, 07:25:45 pm »

Its what got me to watch Game of Thrones.  Come for the titties, stay for the story!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2014, 08:45:57 pm »

Its what got me to watch Game of Thrones.  Come for the titties, stay for the story!

I predicted many years ago that Hollywood would eventually produce a really well made porno. You know, with high production values, a good script, decent budget, artful direction, etc... When I first had the thought I envisioned that it would star Madonna, so it must have been all the way back in the 80s when the thought occurred to me. Game of Thrones is the closest to what I had in mind that I have seen so far.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2014, 01:42:46 pm »

.TRUE DETECTIVE - S P O I L E R S AHEAD
.TRUE DETECTIVE - S P O I L E R S AHEAD
.TRUE DETECTIVE - S P O I L E R S AHEAD
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
What I liked about the True Detective finale was that in the end the show went just human. They took a character that was trying (too hard) to be a brain in a vat, put him through the wringer, got him on the other end with something actually felt. Cohle had a near-death experience and found hope. It happens, bitches. It happens all the time.

It doesn’t matter that the Cohle he was before would have scoffed at the notion of such a paradigm shift. Experiences change people’s wiring and that past Cohle is no more. This is very much in tune with Kierkegaardian notions about the intransferability of personal experience and Wittgensteinian notions about the inexpressability of the innermost levels of perception. No one from the outside can judge faith (like the materialist Cohle did in ep.02, taking potshots at the Christians in the revival tent).

So yeah, pretty cool show overall. Gonna miss those two knuckleheads.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:14:14 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2014, 08:48:00 pm »

Is everybody watching Cosmos? With your kids, if you have 'em?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2014, 09:01:31 pm »

I wasn't that bowled over by Cosmos. All the sciencey people in my Twitter feed were ecstatic, so I guess there is something wrong with me. I love the guy when he is on other shows, but this just didn't do it for me.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2014, 09:09:02 pm »

I won't say I was bowled over by it, because the outer space special effects are old hat by this point (good lord we are soooooooo jaded), and there wasn't a whole lot in it I didn't already know. But my girls enjoyed it, and I want to make it a regular Sunday night thing with them. If it gets some people interested in science, I'd say that's a good thing, and maybe it'll help stem the tide of intentional dumb-assedness in this country.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18   Go Up