Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Some TV show I didn't just see.  (Read 58874 times)

0 Members and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2014, 09:27:54 pm »

I agree with that, and the problem may be that I am not the target audience, you know? Also I have to confess that astronomy is one of my least favorite sciences. Big shiny things far far away that we will never get to see close up, whatever.

I might give it another chance. I figure the first episode might not be representative, because my reaction was "they did the whole history of the universe, so what's left for the rest of the series?" So maybe that episode was more vague and introductory than it will be later?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2014, 10:16:52 pm »

I'm not bowled over by it either. I didn't watch it actually, but I am bowled over by the fact that it's gotten the right wing religious ninnys all in a stir. Good Job, NGT! Here's an actual quote from a Facebook friend "100 billion years ago on March 15th the milky way was born? Nonsense!"
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2014, 02:19:11 pm »

Yes, I think the first episode was rather introductory. I gather the subsequent episodes will go in depth on various topics, like the second one is going to look at cellular biology.

Paul, that is the problem, isn't it, that people who are virulently anti-science are just going to dismiss it out of hand. I'd like to think that if you really went through the process step by step to show how we reached these conclusions, people would understand it all, but at some point, even if they couldn't deny a certain factoid, they'd just say "The Devil put that there to deceive you!"

I took an astronomy class in college and really enjoyed it. What we've been able to figure out based on what little we can get through telescopes is rather astonishing.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2014, 09:40:59 pm »


Paul, that is the problem, isn't it, that people who are virulently anti-science are just going to dismiss it out of hand. I'd like to think that if you really went through the process step by step to show how we reached these conclusions, people would understand it all, but at some point, even if they couldn't deny a certain factoid, they'd just say "The Devil put that there to deceive you!"


People believe what they want to believe.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2014, 10:13:25 pm »

Paul, that is the problem, isn't it, that people who are virulently anti-science are just going to dismiss it out of hand. I'd like to think that if you really went through the process step by step to show how we reached these conclusions, people would understand it all, but at some point, even if they couldn't deny a certain factoid, they'd just say "The Devil put that there to deceive you!"

I think this point of view is losing sway with the American public which is a relief. It's more of an amusing side show rather than a serious threat these days. The right wing is going to have to accept science if they intend to win anymore elections.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2014, 02:10:52 am »

We have been persisting with Cosmos, and it was totally worth it for the whole thing in tonight's episode about Halley and Newton and the book about giraffe that no one wanted to buy.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #156 on: March 25, 2014, 01:25:06 pm »

where in heck were we just talking about archer?

i haven't watched last night's episode yet because reasons - one of which is rick and morty. i don't know how i missed the first few episodes, but i caught last week's in a rerun and was pretty much immediately hooked.

"don'i give it ... don't give it a second thought"
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2014, 11:21:35 pm »

cans for days dude, i couldn't catch who they were beating up when i just straight watched it. that ep was really funny.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2014, 12:29:46 am »

That show rocked really hard! Thanks for turning me on to something new.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2014, 01:49:37 am »

I haven't been watching since the episode with cronenberg Morty, which was pretty goddamn dark to begin with. Better get caught up.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2014, 01:31:06 am »

Legend of Galactic Heroes. Whoaaa. Someone somewhere described this as a grittier Star Wars. Two huge galactic powers fighting epic battles in space. Moral grey area, unwilling warriors, politics, intrigue, kind of bland 80s animation. Right now, 10 or so episodes in, an invading force finds themselves on the verge of letting an occupied planet starve to death because of a supply chain problem. Damn, this show is cool.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #161 on: December 19, 2014, 04:46:43 pm »

Has anyone seen a complete list of everyone who was on Colbert's farewell song last night?
Someone on Twitter said, "If there was a Guinness record for most random celebrities in one place, Colbert just shattered it."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #163 on: December 20, 2014, 12:29:24 am »

I regret not making the time to watch that show more often lately.

Also, I see from the annotated version that Steven Pinker was on it. So now I can also regret that I once turned down the chance to write a dissertation with someone who would become famous enough to be on the Colbert finale.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some TV show I didn't just see.
« Reply #164 on: December 26, 2014, 08:17:48 am »

I love that song by the way. I listen to the original version from time to time. I first came to know about Vera Lynn via Pink Floyd, but it wasn't until many years later and the internet did I find out who she was.

 Johnny Cash among others does a pretty sweet version too.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18   Go Up