Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Coliseum  (Read 11868 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
The Coliseum
« on: June 26, 2011, 06:24:07 pm »

Fight for my amusement!

It's been a while since we had a knock-down, drag-out debate around here. Those were good times. Anybody up for a sparring match? Here's the topic (or propose your own):

Justice is:

(a) an eye for an eye
(b) to turn the other cheek

Discus!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Coliseum
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 06:39:40 pm »

Oh no you don't.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Coliseum
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:46:03 pm »

Fight for my amusement!


I'll be happy to engage and rhetoric and debate for your amusement.  There's just the small matter of my retainer to discuss...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Coliseum
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 08:48:09 pm »

The number of debates took a serious hit when Aloha Dawg left.  And Arachno hasn't been around much to spar with LFM. 

The rest of us are either too old or our opinions are too homogenous to foster a good debate.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Coliseum
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 09:18:27 pm »

But in some cases it is: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Why is it always the women who are responsible for the lamentation?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The Coliseum
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 11:19:00 pm »

are those the only choices?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Coliseum
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 11:53:33 pm »

No! Come up with an alternative and fight for it!

Also, I saw a kid who looked very like what I imagine you looked like as a teen today, GKA. He was heading out of Target as I was going in, it was weird. I thought, "Oh, he looks like someone I know...on the internet...might have looked...fifteen years ago..."

Odd. Oddsfish.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Coliseum
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 12:18:26 am »

Justice is a case by case determination with both sides having adequate representation and playing by the same rules. Some general penalty guidelines if found culpable are acceptable.

NO JUSTICE NO PEACE.

There ain't no such thing as justice in this country.

Fuckin' Man all trying to keep me down . . . grumble grumble . . .
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The Coliseum
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 01:09:25 am »

Also, I saw a kid who looked very like what I imagine you looked like as a teen today, GKA. He was heading out of Target as I was going in, it was weird. I thought, "Oh, he looks like someone I know...on the internet...might have looked...fifteen years ago..."

Odd. Oddsfish.

ugh.  i have a very low opinion of what i looked like as a teen.  hopefully your imagination did a better job.

anyway, the matter at hand:

a) i think "an eye for an eye" is less vengeance-oriented than most people believe.  the only downfall is deciding, as a society, which eye to take and the appropriate way to take it.
b) "turn the other cheek" is equivalent to mercy, which is not justice.
c) i believe our current system, while in need of an overhaul, is the best one out there.


p.s.-

several months ago i took a gen ed english comp course in school that centered on "here are the types of arguments you should avoid while debating topics", persuasive writing, and etc..  we would always take class time to debate hot-button issues and there was always lively discussions.  i got a C because i was lame about turning in homework.  the thing that saved me was getting a B on the final paper.  i wanted to research the topic of "distracted driving" with a concentration on "texting while driving".  i knew it was going to be too easy to find sources to support an argument against it; its common sense.  so i wrote about how making and enforcing an anti-texting-while-driving agenda are useless and ineffective.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: The Coliseum
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 07:56:54 pm »

What does justice even mean, man, y'know?


(Firm if somewhat theoretical advocate of turning the other cheek, but I'm not sure what justice has to do with it.)
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Coliseum
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 10:38:10 pm »

Nothing.  Its about harmony.  Justice is unnecessary if everyone gets along. Turning the other cheek gives the barbarian a chance to mend his ways.

(Firm if somewhat theoretical advocate of turning the other cheek, but I'm not sure what justice has to do with it.)
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Coliseum
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 07:16:59 am »

It's about the almighty dollar, is what it's about. Poor man can't get ju$tice in this broke-ass country.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Coliseum
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 01:49:00 pm »

The poor man can get all the Justice he can get up off his ass and go take.
Whatever, Man.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The Coliseum
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 03:35:04 pm »

just like with love, nice guys dont finish last, weak guys do.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The Coliseum
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 11:00:31 pm »

In my mind I imagine Nabu saying that in the affected sullen tone of a teeager who's really meaning 'fuck you.'

a la mini-smick
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up