Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: googleplus  (Read 14758 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2011, 07:56:05 pm »

You have no idea how annoying Facebook can be when you've worked in the arts, but no longer do.  I've got about 100 friends who use Facebook as their way to bombard their friends with marketing for their shows.  There's a summer theatre festival on right now locally, so I have to sort through so much "see my show" shit to read the few non-advertising posts from my friends.  It's bullshit.

I'm not on Googleplus.  I'm seriously considering that this may be the point where I get off the social media bus.  I don't know.  I'm sick of wasting time on this shit.  Is it worth it to bother with the next thing?  Is it the next thing? 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2011, 08:44:25 pm »

You can't really blame your friends for advertising their shows.  Facebook has been sold as a good tool for that.  I have the same problem with dozens of friends in working bands.  Most of those people have a min. of at least one gig a week.  I think the best thing to do is to just hide those people from your feed.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2011, 08:49:36 pm »

Sorry but yes, you can blame them. Your friends could make a fan page for their bands and their shows and then you can choose to follow that or not. That's what I've done with my book and my blog, soon to be another book. I no longer post stuff about my books or links to my blog in my personal feed.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2011, 09:32:49 pm »

Well that's true, of course Wombat, but if your friend asks you to join their fan page and you don't they might think you are an asshole.  It's easier to join up and then hide yourself.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2011, 09:55:36 pm »

Yeah, and these people are my friends, so hiding them doesn't work because their self-advertising posts are mixed in with their regular socializing posts.  I'll miss BBQ's and beach days and birthday par-tays and reunions and shit if I hide them.  I agree with Wombat - they're not using the technology appropriately and it's annoying as hell.  I've considered quitting Facebook entirely more than once this week due to being totally slammed with promotions, but then there's the few actual nuggets of useful communication that occurred which I would have otherwise missed that keep me from totally giving up.   
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2011, 11:19:38 pm »

Well that's true, of course Wombat, but if your friend asks you to join their fan page and you don't they might think you are an asshole.  It's easier to join up and then hide yourself.

Ha, so you're not really following my blog, then. If you hadn't mentioned it would never have occured to me that someone would go to the trouble of pretending.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2011, 05:49:09 pm »

You know what makes me want to block people though? It's not promoting things. It's endless updates from a fancy vacation. If you really have something to say, fine, but no one wants to hear stuff like "eating croissants and watching the passerby at a cafe in Paris!" half a dozen times a day. You know what? A million people have done that, it's no more interesting than telling me you are eating a bagel in your office, and it just rubs my face in the fact that I am not in Paris on a fancy vacation, so what on earth makes you think it is a good idea?

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2011, 05:51:36 pm »

i want to block people that emphasize words by addinggggg theeee lasttttt letterrrrr wayyyyyyy tooooooooo manyyyyyyyyy timessssssssssssssss

Also, I Blocked A Person Who Capitalized Every Letter Because Reading Her Updates Simply Infuriated Me.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2011, 06:12:17 pm »

So much for my hossback pictures...

No, you know me, anything with an animal gets a pass. I actually don't mind when this person reports the weird breeds she sees at the dog show in France. That's entirely different.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2011, 07:38:43 pm »

I am on the verge of that with a relative who insiSTs on capitalizing certain letters when they appear together in a word because of their devotion to one of them 'rock groups'.

ST? 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: googleplus
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2011, 08:00:16 pm »

Suicidal Tendencies, yeah.

It's damn near a Juggalo kinda thing.

so that means it wouldnt be noble of people to replace letters with numbers in written or typed communications because they love prince?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2011, 11:27:02 pm »

I realize that G+'s circles are a re-branding of Facebook Groups, but it's all SO much easier to manage in G+. And I like that, for now, it's relatively exclusive. I just wish there were a way to mute people in the feed, but I think they'll get to that eventually. There are people (family) who would be irritated with me if I stopped sharing with them, and with whom I do not mind sharing certain stuff, but whose constant political and theological screeds I'd rather not see.

What makes me want to block people are things like this (all errors are sic):

Quote
All day today I've heard NOTHING but bogus opinions and assumptions based on things that clearly these people have no idea of what they speak.... Just makes me wanna pull my hair out!
Followed, the next day, by this:

Quote
You cut tons of trees down ( which surly cost thousands) only to spend money to plant more? I'll never understand

So I posted this in a comment, rather passive-aggressively:

Quote
Maybe the trees were sick? Source: http://www.passiveaggressi​venotes.com/2011/06/07/bad​-luck-you/
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2011, 04:06:26 am »

I hate to start this argument again but... I was just at my part-time job and tried to look at GooglePlus and I couldn't because they hadn't updated the browser on the computer I can use there. It is not my business to update their browser, so I went and looked at Facebook instead.

I don't understand why they can't make the site backward-compatible. There is NO other website I try to use that has this problem. I can't help thinking it is a ruse to get people to switch to their browser.
Related: My wife has a MacBook that I believe was the last generation before they started using Intel chips. She can't upgrade Firefox unless she pays for an OS upgrade and this does mean that she can't get on Google Plus.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2011, 02:41:09 am »

OK, as long as we're going down this road, whatever. Fuck it. Not updating your browser is deeply stupid, other than in Wombat's weird situation.

Did we run young Dan away?  This was his last post on July 12.  That was also the last time he was active on the board. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: googleplus
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2011, 04:38:37 am »

Did we run young Dan away?  This was his last post on July 12.  That was also the last time he was active on the board. 

i think he's visiting chicago.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up