Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: googleplus  (Read 14736 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: googleplus
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2011, 07:40:52 am »

Ok, but what is Songbird's problem?
Up against the wall, motherfucker.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2011, 08:39:03 pm »

Well I hope I don't start another big fight bringing this up again but... I was just forced to "upgrade" to the new version of Firefox. I had to get a new laptop, which has a new operating system. It is possible to download the old Firefox although they say they wish you wouldn't. But it wouldn't let us install AdBlock and since the internet has basically become completely unusuable without AdBlock, I have to use the new Firefox. Which I HATE. They have added a bunch of things I don't need, and in order to include these, have made it harder to get at the things I use ten thousand times a day.

 I don't understand what is wrong with computer programmers. Fuck you for making your product worse in order to add features we don't need, and fuck you for making it impossible to keep using your old product that was slightly less horrible.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2011, 09:38:41 pm »

Ash, PM me the email address you want to use on G+ and I'll invite you.

Wombles, you have my sympathies. I was going to complain here about having a data transfer between my external hard drive and my laptop screwed up by forced reboots two nights in a row. Because one forced update isn't bad enough, they hit me with two in 24 hours because apparently they couldn't get it together the first time.

But I thought better of bringing it up here, because I didn't want to make people argue about it again. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2011, 09:50:55 pm »

That reminds me I forgot to mention the part where we were trying to do all of this and the computer interrupted us by having to download 31 updates. How could a three day old computer need 31 updates already?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: googleplus
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2011, 12:19:47 am »

This time home I put my laptop in the upstairs office with the extra monitor, instead of down in the kitchen where I am always at. Can I tell you how much more pleasant it was having the computer out of the way? I dignified shot and it was fuck*ng special.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2011, 01:29:43 pm »

That reminds me I forgot to mention the part where we were trying to do all of this and the computer interrupted us by having to download 31 updates. How could a three day old computer need 31 updates already?

That's easy.  While the computer was sitting in the box at the store it wasn't getting updated so it was catching up.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2011, 01:50:00 pm »

So it was in the box for what, five years?

Also, if there are FOUR options for what the computer should do when you close the lid, why isn't the default option "the lid closes"?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2011, 02:11:33 pm »

So it was in the box for what, five years?

Nah, that's nothing.  My laptop is actually five years old and I reloaded the operating system recently.  Of course the restore disc is 5 years old as well.  it took literally two solid days of updates to get the machine up to speed. 

The frustrating thing is it won't just give you all of the updates at once.  It's all, here, upload these 20 updates... restart... oh hey, here upload these 35 more updates... restart (rinse, repeat for 2 days).

Also, if there are FOUR options for what the computer should do when you close the lid, why isn't the default option "the lid closes"?

Beats me why computers suck.  Sure ain't my scene.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2011, 02:35:18 pm »

I'm sorry. Really, a lot of things are better. I shouldn't complain about what happens when I close the lid - at least I can move the lid without the screen blacking out. Also, it's great that the battery actually seems to charge every time I plug it in. So it's a big improvement over the old one in some ways.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2011, 11:16:25 am »

What type of laptop did you end up going with, Wombles?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2011, 12:12:50 pm »

I got a Thinkpad but I think a smaller one than yours? The screen is like eleven and a half inches. I am glad I didn't go with something smaller, this really seems like the absolute lower limit for being able to get work done. The keyboard is nice and the screen is not too shiny. I am being driven mad by both the new Windows and the new Firefox but I think most of what is driving me crazy can't be blamed on the computer. Only a couple of the things.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: googleplus
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2011, 04:22:06 pm »

So the latest round of needless facebook changes has me tryin' out the plus.

God, facebook's inability to know how to leave well-enough alone is pathological.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2011, 06:58:05 pm »

It's brilliant, you see.  They change so often that you never get used to it being one way. thus you never get settled into a pattern, therefore you don't complain about how it used to be.  It's just a dizzying succession of constant changes.  I've noticed that nobody gets in an uproar about Facebook anymore, it's more along the lines of, well, that's Facebook for you.  *sigh*  Ha ha.

Is g+ open to the public yet?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: googleplus
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2011, 07:25:28 pm »

The only explanation is that they're purposefully making facebook confusing so that you have to browse longer to find what you want and then they turn around and use that extra viewing time to charge their advertisers more.

I can't think of any other rational reason.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: googleplus
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2011, 07:35:22 pm »

Well, I can think of a few.  When you have the biggest website in the history of websites run by kids, basically and your CEO thinks he has an imperative to change the way people use the internet and you are constantly dealing with new ways to thwart spammers and it's a brave new world and you are trying things that don't always work.  Etc, etc, etc...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up