Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: The Officially Unofficial Pug  (Read 60864 times)

0 Members and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Officially Unofficial Pug
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2011, 06:11:45 am »

I'm hearing material for another book there, Wombles.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Officially Unofficial Pug
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2011, 01:05:00 pm »

Oh, no Wombat.  I know people buy gifts for their pets as well as for other people's pets.  We've done that too.  It's more that I feel a sort of shame about it, and if I were to teach my dog to push a stroller, I would feel that same feeling.  I don't know- it's embarrassing, to me.  I just don't want to embrace being a DINK I guess.  There's something ugly about that side of behavior for me.  For example, when we order take out sushi my husband sometimes insists that we order a piece of sashimi for the cats, and that's something I can't get comfortable with.   
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Officially Unofficial Pug
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2011, 01:50:59 pm »

I don't see what there is to feel ashamed of. Why should you feel shame about buying something that gives another creature pleasure? How could that be ugly? But also, buying a present for our pets is really buying a present for ourselves, because it is enjoyable to watch animals take pleasure in things. Really, that's the whole racket they've got going, being cute so we do stuff for them. Anyway, if that is fun for you, I don't see how that's a worse thing to spend money on than all the other junk people buy themselves.

I also wouldn't feel ashamed to teach my dog to push a stroller. I'm actually kind of jealous I didn't have the idea. Feel silly, yeah, but shame doesn't enter it into it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Officially Unofficial Pug
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2011, 02:59:06 pm »

Speaking of people enjoying animals being indulged, I just came back from the farmers' market where we go every Saturday to buy the pugs a brioche. It is the high point of their week, the 13 year old pug would run all the way there if I let her. And it's a kind of a public spectacle that many people enjoy every time. Sometimes I really do not want to get out of bed so early on a Saturday especially when it's 30 degrees out, but I would hate to deprive the general public of this amusement.

It's not a pug pushing a stroller on the internet, but it is our small contribution.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Officially Unofficial Pug
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2011, 07:44:44 pm »

Oh and in case anyone else wants to feel normal in comparison: The farmers market is closed next week for Christmas Eve, so we bought brioche to freeze so the pugs don't have to be deprived.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Officially Unofficial Pug
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2011, 04:14:02 pm »

Let them eat cake brioche.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Officially Unofficial Pug
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2011, 09:17:25 pm »

Which is, I think, what the original quote was.

Edit: no, wait. Straight dope says I'm an idiot.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:22:06 pm by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Officially Unofficial Pug
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2011, 09:51:37 pm »

The shame comes from knowing having a pet at all is a luxury, I suppose and more so knowing the dog would get just as much pleasure from hiding a treat in a cardboard box rather than the $30 treat puzzle toy we got.  I was once in poverty, and I see the impact of poverty every day, so I always have a hard time with anything self indulgent.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Officially Unofficial Pug
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2011, 11:01:51 pm »

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Officially Unofficial Pug
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2011, 11:56:01 pm »

Yeah pretty much,  only imagine me putting down the items i was going to buy after realizing i don't really need them and walking out of a store.

I'm not a good shopper. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Officially Unofficial Pug
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2011, 12:31:54 am »

I have a hard time seeing pets as self indulgent, they are good for you in so many ways, and compared to a lot of things people indulge in?

Also anyone who buys a $30 puzzle toy for their dog is a really good dog owner and someone I have a huge amount of respect for. Get back to me when you're not keeping your dog busy and then complaining that it tears up the house because it's bored, and we'll talk about feeling ashamed.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The Officially Unofficial Pug
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2011, 12:34:49 am »

The dogs are solving puzzles now? This has gone too far. Lobotomies for all animals now!
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Officially Unofficial Pug
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2011, 01:35:24 pm »

"You cut his brain, you damn dirty animal!"
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Officially Unofficial Pug
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2011, 04:58:59 pm »

Yeah pretty much,  only imagine me putting down the items i was going to buy after realizing i don't really need them and walking out of a store.

I'm not a good shopper. 

You are not propping up the economy like I need you to. This is why my stocks are in the shitter.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The Officially Unofficial Pug
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2011, 06:14:22 pm »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up