Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Election '12  (Read 50961 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Election '12
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2012, 01:34:03 pm »

Hey Michele Bachmann, how come you hate America?

Comment from that page: Makes sense, given that she has so many holes in her brain. No offense to the Swiss.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2012, 06:03:52 pm »

The thing that kills me about this amendment is that it will hurt unmarried straight couples, by sheer numbers, far, far more than it will hurt gay couples. For whom marriage is already illegal by a non-constitutional statute defining marriage. Straight people, especially those who are unmarried for whatever reason but who have kids together, are going to suffer for this one.

I have to wonder if my over-60 neighbor, whose daughter has two kids with a long-time partner with whom she cohabits but is not legally wed, voted for or against? I have to wonder, if she voted for, if her daughter or grandchildren will suffer for it. And I have to wonder if she will put two and two together if they do.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2012, 07:29:46 pm »

well, obama just came out (heh) in favor of gay marriage
nytimes blog about it
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #153 on: May 23, 2012, 10:03:29 pm »

Hey Michele Bachmann, how come you hate America?

It's pretty obvious that Bachmann's husband is as gay as they come, but in that clip for the first time I can see that she is totally a lesbian.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #154 on: June 28, 2012, 06:02:23 pm »

The level of political rhetoric on Facebook has reached beyond ridiculous proportions already and the election is still almost 5 months away.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #155 on: June 28, 2012, 06:10:07 pm »

I'm enjoying the show.  No need to engage if it gets you mad. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Election '12
« Reply #156 on: June 28, 2012, 09:39:11 pm »

Quote from: jaydub
I'm enjoying the show.  No need to engage if it gets you mad.

This is a good rule for 83% of the human experience, not just politics.

The key is to know which seventeen to actually put max effort into.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Election '12
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2012, 12:48:40 am »

I'm enjoying the show.  No need to engage if it gets you mad. 

I made the decision to disengage myself from politics, at least a bit, after 2004 in consideration of my mental health. After 2008 I decided to pretty much view it as theater. Or probably television. There are issues that I care about, but I care more about not freaking the fuck out every time I hear someone in Congress open his or her mouth, or at every other email and facebook status update that I see. And yeah, I had the SCOTUS live blog up and running on my phone right around 9:30 ET this morning and waited for the decision with bated breath, but more just so I could tell my co-workers before they heard from anyone else and witness their reactions. Also, Roberts! No he didn't! I did not see that coming.

Seriously, it's like Mad Men to me.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2012, 02:00:09 pm »

Well, at least now I can say with confidence that the reactions from the liberals after the NC ban on domestic partnerships were much, much tamer and less inflammatory than the responses I'm seeing from conservatives on the health care plan.

One guy actually posted as his status a passage from NC's declaration of secession to protest -- and I quote -- "the unconstitutionality of Obamacare." This guy is a bar-certified lawyer in both NC and SC. (And an ex-boyfriend, eek!)

A cousin of Pedro's posted, "I didn't vote for this shiz." You know what I didn't vote for? Aggressive military action in three countries that dragged on for eight years. Guess which one's gonna cost more? And guess which is gonna save lives instead of spending them?

FFS. Maybe this should go in the "Shit my ____ says" thread, but whatever. I'm trying SO HARD not to engage on FB with these folks, but they are not making it easy.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2012, 05:26:27 pm »

I'm enjoying the show.  No need to engage if it gets you mad. 

I get this and I usually have a good time laughing at the stupid republicans, but now, at least on my wall, the democrats are acting just as stupid and douchy as the repubs. In my experience the dems have always been more even handed and reasonable. This new paradigm is taking some getting used to.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #160 on: July 05, 2012, 09:42:52 pm »

This came to my mind yesterday as I was driving home from the Independence Day fireworks.

"The Boston Tea Party was about taxation without representation. Now we have a new tea party which is about representation without taxation."

Pretty clever, huh... I thought that up myself.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #161 on: July 05, 2012, 10:16:50 pm »

The "Tea Party" has no platform, leader, or planks to stand on. It appears to be a bunch of angry old people who want to yell at clouds and hope for rain.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Election '12
« Reply #162 on: July 05, 2012, 11:28:08 pm »

Angry old people with no cohesive agenda, being whipped into a froth by sickeningly rich people with very very real agendas, no less.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #163 on: July 12, 2012, 01:19:13 am »

I can't be arsed to actually read the articles, but lots of political people on Facebook keep telling me that Congress has symbolically repealed ObamaCare like 30 times or some shit. Is this a real thing?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #164 on: July 12, 2012, 02:16:20 am »

TLDR: The House has tried, yeah. The Senate continues to throw that junk out the window and unapologetically ignores it.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22   Go Up