Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Election '12  (Read 51153 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #210 on: August 15, 2012, 02:16:48 pm »

Until that happens, thanks for sharing your opinion.

Sorry if I was snarky, bro.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #211 on: August 15, 2012, 02:30:16 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #212 on: August 15, 2012, 02:56:21 pm »

OH DEAR GOD NOT THAT WHERE DOES HE GET OFF
(he also has a 24/7 kitchen staff and omg a vegetable garden)
(i bet that jerk even has flies on a private plane when us plebes gotta fly coach)

i have six neighbors that brew beer. it makes for fun times, and apparently it's easy and cheap to do. mrs|choop has an ex that used to brew, so that's off the table for me due to respect for feelings.

seriously asking here: is there some kind of problem with a white house home brew?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #213 on: August 15, 2012, 03:06:49 pm »

What!!! Obama is breathing oxygen now!!!???

The nerve!  How's that hopey-changey thing working out for you libs now, huh?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #214 on: August 15, 2012, 03:21:48 pm »

seriously asking here: is there some kind of problem with a white house home brew?

Some might have a problem with it. I think it's pretty fuck*ng cool.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #215 on: August 15, 2012, 04:25:36 pm »

I think that just beats the piss all out of Billy Beer, f'sure.

Billy Beer was made in Louisville and was essentially Falls City.

Even though I don't drink anymore, I miss local/regional beers and I'm glad they're making a comeback.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #216 on: August 15, 2012, 05:56:19 pm »

I've only heard this from my right-wing friends. One of the statuses yesterday was something like "Paul Ryan is awesome and if you would just read The Fountainhead/Atlas Shrugged you would understand why." If that isn't calling him Randian I don't know what is.

Calling him Randian would be calling him Randian. Saying if you read her books you would have a better understanding of where he is coming from is just that. You see, Rand was clearly against anything like "Randianism" or "Randian". "Randian Hero" might fly because its just a literary description.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Election '12
« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2012, 02:11:50 am »

seriously asking here: is there some kind of problem with a white house home brew?

Who is saying it is a problem? I guess it was called a "startling observation" in the article, but is this seriously getting negative press elsewhere? That's silly. Tell you what though, that brewery just went to the top of Romney's "things to throw out the first day" list, right above Obamacare.

Calling him Randian would be calling him Randian. Saying if you read her books you would have a better understanding of where he is coming from is just that. You see, Rand was clearly against anything like "Randianism" or "Randian". "Randian Hero" might fly because its just a literary description.

I have read that Ryan explicitly rejected Objectivism as a philosophy and said that he basically just liked her novels (here, for example), but there are videos of him going on and on about her.

There does seem to be quite a few religious conservatives who claim Rand as a strong influence, and I think LFM made a good point that it's strange for an observant Christian to strongly identify with a philosophy incompatible with Christianity. You could say that they are cafeteria Objectivists, but the ideas central to Objectivism are the rejection of altruism and the moral superiority of selfishness. The ideas that some tea partiers associate with Rand, like small government and the free market, have older and stronger roots elsewhere.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2012, 03:25:34 am »

My theory is that the Tea Party is a Dada political party.  It's intentionally absurdist, so contradictory beliefs like "the virtue of selgiraffeness" and "love thy neighbor as thyself" are de rigeur.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2012, 04:38:29 am »

I think my initial question about Ryan still remains. Is he well spoken? Is he intelligent? I don't want to take Dennis Miller's word for it and I don't want to have to listen to him speak either. So, you know, what's the truth here?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #220 on: August 16, 2012, 05:43:07 am »

I have read that Ryan explicitly rejected Objectivism as a philosophy and said that he basically just liked her novels

Is that meant to be a point in his favour? I've only read Atlas Shrugged and found the philosophy quite interesting, largely since it was my first exposure to objectivism, but that was not a well written book.


Why yes I do think bad literary taste is worse than nasty political ideologies. Snob 2012!
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #221 on: August 16, 2012, 12:36:51 pm »

I don't want to take Dennis Miller's word for it and I don't want to have to listen to him speak either.

Following up on my earlier point... is it too much to ask that in this great country of ours, a major political party can pick a nominee that doesn't make a person feel this way?  We only have two parties and only need to find a total of four humans beings to fill up the presidential election tickets. It's not that many, it can't be that hard.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #222 on: August 16, 2012, 01:55:55 pm »

wants the job vs. should be trusted with it etc.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #223 on: August 16, 2012, 02:53:31 pm »

I know, I know... but we're just talking about FOUR people in a country of how many million? There really aren't four reasonable, qualified people who could be convinced to run who aren't in it for purely crappy reasons?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Election '12
« Reply #224 on: August 16, 2012, 04:08:04 pm »

There is but they can't muster up the gumption to feed people made up lies and pander to the lies people tell themselves.

You'd think there would be loads of well spoken, intelligent, evil people who are more than up to the task.  I know it's too much to expect our leaders to tell us the truth, but I can't believe it's too much to ask that they at least don't sound like a fuck*ng pinhead while they are lying to us.

We need another Nixon. Man, that guy was good.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22   Go Up