Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Thoughts  (Read 65077 times)

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #285 on: April 05, 2012, 11:02:39 pm »

I really feel for this poor guy. It looks like he cracked under pressure, and that everyone responded appropriately.  The thing is, to come to a point of total psychological breakdown there are so many early warning signs in most cases.  The problem is not mental illness so much as that there's still so much stigma around mental health that people tend to ignore symptoms of illness, even when the person exhibiting these signs is responsible for people's lives.  Just like most other health problems, you don't go from zero to 100 when it comes to a mental illness.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #286 on: April 05, 2012, 11:53:00 pm »

I really feel for this poor guy. It looks like he cracked under pressure, and that everyone responded appropriately.

At first I thought you were talking about the guy who was trying to save Harrisburg.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #287 on: April 06, 2012, 02:54:15 am »

If you saw a dude walking down the street wearing this guy, how cool would you think he is? As cool as I am now, or cooler? Probably cooler, right?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #288 on: April 06, 2012, 04:49:42 am »

Well here's a photo on Urban Spoon of the Arabic Calzone (note: I didn't take this photo).

Looks really good anyway.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #289 on: April 06, 2012, 12:32:17 pm »

At first I thought you were talking about the guy who was trying to save Harrisburg.

what a fuck*ng mess.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #290 on: April 06, 2012, 04:35:45 pm »

what a fuck*ng mess.

No shit.

The state's all, damn Harrisburg, y'all done fucked everything up.  Here, this guy knows his shit, he'll figure out how to guide you out of this situation you've created for yourself.  Dude presents proposal, okay, here's a thoughtfully researched, 200 page plan.  It's gonna be painful, but it will lead the city out of trouble. Harrisburg's all like hell naw, nobody said anything about the pain.  Dude's all, fuck yourself Harrisburg, I'm out of here.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #291 on: April 06, 2012, 07:27:13 pm »

now the whole state is going to be paying for it...
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #292 on: April 06, 2012, 09:28:56 pm »

Actual conversation last night between me and my roommate.

"Hey, do you know who to call to report a streetlight out?"

"That might be a 311 call, but good luck with that."

"What do you mean?"

"Damn, dude, this city is sucking air financially.  We're lucky they're still picking up the trash."

However, they can afford to redo the sidewalks on the eastside, apparently. They're probably getting Federal money for that though.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #293 on: April 09, 2012, 06:16:33 pm »

The Arabic Calzone place stole my debit card info and sent it to Kuala Lumpur, where a fraudulent card was made and used to withdraw $400 from my account on Friday. Being a holiday, everything was closed until today.  Thankfully my bank is going to refund everything.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #294 on: April 09, 2012, 07:58:55 pm »

The bank is taking the fraud to the police and I signed an agreement to go to trial (should it be required) in exchange for the bank reimbursing the funds in full immediately.  Because my work is so directly connected with the legal system I get paid leave to go to court, so even if it does go to trial I'm covered.

I remembered only after going there that the same place had been running child prostitutes out of their "business" on a regular basis,  and at least two of the guys in the joint were acting in a manner that made me think they may be Mad Cowz (local gang).  I'm thinking they're all deeply intrenched in crime there. I wish I'd put two and two together.  Honestly crime is so normal in my neighborhood that it's just part of the landscape.  This place is two blocks from my house. Vehicle break-in infront of my house and fraud all within a week.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:23:41 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #295 on: April 09, 2012, 08:50:19 pm »

The Arabic Calzone place stole my debit card info and sent it to Kuala Lumpur, where a fraudulent card was made and used to withdraw $400 from my account on Friday. Being a holiday, everything was closed until today.  Thankfully my bank is going to refund everything.

Boo to that.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #296 on: April 09, 2012, 10:28:35 pm »

Having been briefly to Kuala Lumpur, I know the average salary is around $24 a month, so you can imagine what a boon $400 is to a Malaysian thief.  No matter how crap my neighbourhood is, at least for me $400 is a drop in the bucket, not a years salary.  Not to say I would spend $400 frivolously at all - I hardly ever spend anything on myself.  Still for most people in my neighbourhood, missing $400 would be devastating, considering most folks are living hand to mouth.  According to an article I was reading in the weekend paper, the average household income in my neighbourhood is $24,000, so even though I'm one of lucky minority members when it comes to income, these thieves are not exactly robin-hooding if they're stealing from my neighbours.   I'd like to think that me whipping out my iPhone while I waited was what inspired their thievery... but who am I kidding?  I know there's no honour among thieves.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #297 on: April 11, 2012, 08:02:56 pm »

There's been a lot of talk about black teenagers in hoodies, and it reminds me of what was going in fifteen years ago when everybody was talking about white teenagers in trenchcoats. It was bullshit then, and it's bullshit now.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #298 on: April 11, 2012, 08:19:10 pm »

There's been a lot of talk about black teenagers in hoodies, and it reminds me of what was going in fifteen years ago when everybody was talking about white teenagers in trenchcoats. It was bullshit then, and it's bullshit now.

[insert rant about dusters vs trench coats]
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #299 on: April 12, 2012, 05:00:33 am »

hey, my friends are famous. I'll bet you guys thought I talked about donuts all the time just 'cuz I like them. In St Louis, donuts are a THING.

Possibly only among (GASP) hipsters, though. When I tell people at work that our city has tons of donut shops, they look at me like I'm all ching chong wing wong.

I think I have literally told over 100 customers to check out my favorite donut place. FINALLY, one came back and told me she went there and loved it. And it was a cute mom with kids, too!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29   Go Up