Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Hallelujah  (Read 7805 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Hallelujah
« on: September 29, 2011, 04:57:55 pm »

My mother posted a link to this on her Facebook wall.  I expected it to be the Hallelujah chorus and not the Lenard Cohen song.

I never thought of this song as being Christian in anyway even though it uses much Christian imagery..  Is this a case of not understanding what they are singing.  Well obviously the little girl doesn't know, but her parents or whoever is pulling her strings is who I am referring to.  Are they simply hearing what they want to hear, some vaguely religious words and a achingly beautiful melody, and ignoring what the song is really about.  Or is it more complex than that? 

I'm trying to be kind and not simply laugh at the dumb Christians getting it wrong again.  On the one hand, who wouldn't love this song, it's one of the most beautiful songs ever written.  On the other hand, I don't think I'd like to see it hijacked by Christians. 

Would you guys care to help me sort out my mixed feelings about this?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Hallelujah
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 05:29:18 pm »

I couldn't get through past the first minute of overwrought eight-year-old-kid-wailing, but I know the song. I think of it as a secular tune, but Christianity has a long tradition of taking secular music and re-purposing it for worship.

The difference between a love song for another human being and a love song for a Deity is small, indeed. One of my favorite contemporary worship songs could easily, with a couple of word changes, be a secular love ballad. And as a Christian, I would not be offended if a popular artist took it and performed it as such -- though I imagine there are some Christians who would be.

Remember the song "Flood?" It was played on our local "alternative" radio station, but Jars of Clay bills themselves as a Christian band (and in fact most of the other tracks on that album are overtly religious). It's all a matter of interpretation, and I'm all for people listening to music in whatever way speaks to them personally, regardless of the original artists' intent.  
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Hallelujah
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 06:15:05 pm »

I would like to make it illegal to record children singing. There are plenty of things you can't do till you are a grownup and I think this should be one of them.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Hallelujah
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 06:23:59 pm »

but...but... it's an eight year old with a speech impediment singing.   It must be about Jesus!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Hallelujah
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 06:30:33 pm »

I'm not about to watch that. But did he sing this verse:

Well there was a time when you let me know
What's really going on below
But now you never show that to me do you?
And remember when I moved in you
And the holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Hallelujah
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 06:37:01 pm »

Two alternate versions of the tune that I really adore:

Instrumental (string trio): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_SZp_L3q4c

And its polar opposite, the all-female a capella version: http://www.myspace.com/takenoteladies

Both stunningly beautiful. Both routinely move me to tears, no matter how many times I hear them. It's kind of frightening.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hallelujah
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 06:39:53 pm »

I would like to make it illegal to record children singing. There are plenty of things you can't do till you are a grownup and I think this should be one of them.

Children singing can be beautiful... when they are singing like children. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Hallelujah
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 09:51:43 pm »

The thing about Leonard Cohen is that much of his work draws correlation between the sacrid and the erotic, and this song does so... I read somewhere that Cohen said that after Rufus Wainright's cover of the song that he felt that it shouldn't be covered anymore because Wainright had done the best cover possible.  Since the K.D. Lang version at the winter Olympics there has been another explosion of cover versions and Cohen is asking that people stop covering it, but no one seems to be listening.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Hallelujah
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 10:22:02 pm »

I would like to make it illegal to record children singing. There are plenty of things you can't do till you are a grownup and I think this should be one of them.

youre like that preacher/dad from 'footloose'.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Hallelujah
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 12:21:11 am »

I'm especially partial to these kids

OK, I will make an exception for children who are trained to sing via beatings.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Hallelujah
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 12:39:16 am »

Hey man, am I hallucinating again or are they putting out a remake of that thing?

i heard that lame news, as well.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Hallelujah
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 12:39:45 am »

Hey man, am I hallucinating again or are they putting out a remake of that thing?

You're not! That's crazy.

I never thought of this song as being Christian in anyway even though it uses much Christian imagery

Seems really odd to me, too. He's Jewish and all of the references are to the Hebrew bible.

But yeah, people give songs their own meanings. Nothing new there.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hallelujah
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 12:43:59 am »

Hey man, am I hallucinating again or are they putting out a remake of that thing?

I've never seen that movie.  I think this is one of those things that you all may remember as cool because you saw it when you were 12.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hallelujah
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 03:17:35 pm »

I don't think anyone remembers it as cool, Paul. But this may be a thing that you would only know if you'd seen it. It also may be that I'm totally wrong.

Fuck that shit, anyway - they remade The Thing. That's wrong.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hallelujah
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 04:26:12 pm »

What's next, Dirty Dancing?

Inevitably, yes.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up