I thought the abortion subplot was brilliant. You've got to understand, that movie was made during the era of Ronald Reagan when the country had taken a hard right turn. This movie, with it's veneer of good old fashioned Christian values appealed to all the little Alex P. Keaton's who had been seduced by Reagan. it showed them what it was like in this country before Roe Vs. Wade.
I get that, and I totally understand how it made a political point in a time when the political pendulum had swung hard right in most places. But first off, that lesson was mostly lost on girls my age, upper elementary aged kids at the time, who obsessed over the movie because they thought Patrick Swayze was Teh Hottness and internalized the message about bad boys being sexy and such.
Secondly, seeing it as an adult, I get how the subplot was brilliantly tied in, and I agree that it is good writing. But I also am the kind of person who can't watch Mad Men for the same reasons I hated Dirty Dancing. I've studied the time period extensively, specifically women's issues (and even more specifically, women's labor issues), and I know that things were actually even worse than they're depicted in such narratives, and I hate how the 50s and 60s are romanticized now. Even if the show is attempting to subtly point out how badly women were treated, the majority of the population is going to miss the subtlety and put Don Draper and his ilk on a pedestal. It makes me queasy just to think about.