Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's Get Meta  (Read 10122 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 07:30:06 am »

most everyone else there thinks asherdan is a complete genitals-head and they wouldnt give this place the time of day.

So we should be able to meet them halfway?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 01:20:05 pm »

What if we gave them an "Assetbar Refugees" forum, with a promise to stay out of their shit? They'd be welcome to post across the rest of the board (if they behave; the need to realize that our last experience with an Assetbar....uh...individual...was not good). But they could appoint one or two of their own to have mod privileges for their forum to run however they wish*. As long as they don't bring Buffy/Fresca/Whatever handle he goes by these days with them.

I, for one, welcome our new Assetbar overlords underlings. We're all getting old and crotchety around here, time for some fresh meat.

*If the admins think this is kosher. I forgot I'm not one any more for a moment.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 02:11:52 pm »

This topic scared me at first. The online community I frequented in ye olden days of the Interwebs (which has since pretty much fallen apart, thanks to losing their magazine-based sponsorship, and due to Facebook) had a forum called "Meta," in which people could argue about other forums and topics, and who was offending who and shit like that. It was pretty much the most tedious thing ever, though at times it had that car-wreck feel to it when there was a really good bitch-fest going.

My favorite was the woman whose modus operandi was basically "I just tell it like it is. YOU are thoughtless and rude."

Anyway, glad to see this isn't that.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 02:13:13 pm »

This topic scared me at first. The online community I frequented in ye olden days of the Interwebs (which has since pretty much fallen apart, thanks to losing their magazine-based sponsorship, and due to Facebook) had a forum called "Meta," in which people could argue about other forums and topics, and who was offending who and shit like that. It was pretty much the most tedious thing ever, though at times it had that car-wreck feel to it when there was a really good bitch-fest going.

My favorite was the woman whose modus operandi was basically "I just tell it like it is. YOU are thoughtless and rude."

Anyway, glad to see this isn't that.

You take that back, you bastard!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 02:53:54 pm »

JL, I'm sure AssetBar pals will be happy to keep their mess in the playpen/pig-pen and stay away from our grownup pug conversations.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 03:05:13 pm »

I support your idea.  However, I don't think it's possible to give someone mod privileges for only one fora. I wouldn't want to make a newbie a mod and have them start fuck*ng shit up in other forums.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 04:09:31 pm »

Yeah, the asset bar folks know we're here and they can come here just like anyone.  I don't see a purpose to making up a dedicated section for a group of folks who haven't really established a need for one.  It could end up just sitting up there all useless like the Daisy Owl forum after all.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 04:17:55 pm »


I don't think we should do anything special for nobody. Let anyone who'd like integrate themselves on in and we'll have a cheeri-o-go from there.

I agree with this.

Was Poophead ever part of the paid site? I don't know if the free Assbar forum even exists anymore.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 04:44:43 pm »

I think putting in a fora especially for people from another thing would do more harm than good. TOUAMB already ready has kind of a clannish reputation with the asset-barbarians and setting up a segregated place would be like patting your little brother on the head while not really listening to him. Not a good place to start from.

I am not trying to be paternalistic about it. As I said, they are welcome to post anywhere and everywhere they like, I just thought the members who are concerned about their community disintegrating might find it welcoming to have their own sandbox to build castles or piss in as they see fit. Clearly they are wary of us, I am trying to consider ways to mitigate that wariness. I think it would have to be pitched carefully to avoid giving them the idea that we're trying to reign them in, but if I were in their shoes I would welcome a place to play and a promise that they could run that space however they want. If they come here, they have to play by our rules, and since we DO have this clannish rep, maybe letting them be their own tribe within our village where they get to participate in our conversations *and* have their own chats without interference would make them more willing to make the jump.

Yeah, the asset bar folks know we're here and they can come here just like anyone.  I don't see a purpose to making up a dedicated section for a group of folks who haven't really established a need for one.  It could end up just sitting up there all useless like the Daisy Owl forum after all.

That's exactly what I hope for -- that they come for the dedicated section for their group and end up liking us so much they abandon it and just become regular regulars. The goal is to get them here in a way that makes them feel welcomed on their own terms. Maybe GKA or some other ambassador (Wombles?) could drop in and let them know they're welcome here, and just ask if there is any consensus over there as to whether a dedicated forum would make them feel more comfortable making the switch? If the answer is a resounding "HELLS NO," then clearly I am way off base and they're probably not going to show up anyway.

I support your idea.  However, I don't think it's possible to give someone mod privileges for only one fora. I wouldn't want to make a newbie a mod and have them start fuck*ng shit up in other forums.

It is possible; that's how it used to be back in the early days here. Unless there's been a software update that changed it, or I'm misremembering. (Equally likely.)

This topic scared me at first. The online community I frequented in ye olden days of the Interwebs (which has since pretty much fallen apart, thanks to losing their magazine-based sponsorship, and due to Facebook) had a forum called "Meta," in which people could argue about other forums and topics, and who was offending who and shit like that. It was pretty much the most tedious thing ever, though at times it had that car-wreck feel to it when there was a really good bitch-fest going.

Kuro5hin?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 04:46:30 pm »

most everyone else there thinks asherdan is a complete genitals-head and they wouldnt give this place the time of day.
So we should be able to meet them halfway?
Wouldn't we actually be on their turf, then?

I say let 'em come just like everyone else did. GKA didn't need a District 9.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 05:07:28 pm »

So we should be able to meet them halfway?

Wouldn't we actually be on their turf, then?

I say let 'em come just like everyone else did. GKA didn't need a District 9.

GKA is special.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 05:10:56 pm »

I should mention that I think it is very generous and sweet that you offered to set them up with their very own ghetto.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 05:15:04 pm »

I should mention that I think it is very generous and sweet that you offered to set them up with their very own ghetto.

I'm starting to think Assetbar is less a ghetto and more a gated community, compared to this place.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 05:48:39 pm »

I did sort of drop in and suggest that we might not be so awful.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 06:39:59 pm »

Kuro5hin?

Nope. It was the Utne Reader's old forums.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up