The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thanks for giving  (Read 2514 times)

Asherdan

• Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 535
  • PUT 'EM UP
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks for giving
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2011, 10:52:35 pm »

I dropped a car in for service a coupla years back, from home to the shop to work is was a one-transfer run that looked easy-peasy.

Two hours to get to work from the shop, two and a half to get from work to the shop that night. Maybe seven miles each way.

ANGRY
Wubba-lubba-dub-dub!

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 392
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2011, 11:03:43 pm »

Also, maybe the bus is different in St Louis but most places I have lived, only poor people take the bus, because it sucks so hard because only people with no alternative ride it.

Yeah, but also some of my friends take it to save money/as an environmental thing. Also, I live along a major bus route that is relatively easy to understand. It goes straight to where my internship is, but due to a major bridge being out it takes about twice as long as it should. It also has a stop along the Metro line, which means I could get to my girlfriend's house, my job, etc. pretty easily. Unfortunately the schedule sucks, the aforementioned bridge is out, and the pricing is inconvenient (buying a monthly pass costs the same as 4 weekly passes, you have to ride the bus ~4 times a day to break even).

The other wrench in the plan is that if my LAZY GIRLFRIEND would have gone down to the college parking office and gotten a free metro pass, I could have been taking the bus everywhere for free.

A positive that may be more relevant to my lifestyle than to some of yours: if I take the bus to a bar, i can drink as much as I want. I can even drink BEFORE I go to the bar. Showing up to a concert already drunk and knowing I don't have to worry about driving home is a major plus.
"And remember, you don't have to be a complete fool in order to succeed. Play the game, but don't believe in it-- that much you owe yourself."

jaydub

• VIP
  • Homosexuals the Gorilla
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1458
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2011, 11:29:46 pm »

A positive that may be more relevant to my lifestyle than to some of yours: if I take the bus to a bar, i can drink as much as I want.
At this point, you'll fit right in with the typical bus user.
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

• Nightlife Mingus
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 447
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2011, 11:47:51 pm »

At this point, you'll fit right in with the typical bus user.

Well, as soon as you piss yourself.
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 566
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2011, 12:12:57 am »

A positive that may be more relevant to my lifestyle than to some of yours: if I take the bus to a bar, i can drink as much as I want. I can even drink BEFORE I go to the bar. Showing up to a concert already drunk and knowing I don't have to worry about driving home is a major plus.

You can do that on a subway too and it doesn't take two hours to go seven miles.
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2011, 12:28:06 am »

true. I want to live somewhere with a subway, or El or whatever, that actually works. The one here is nice (in that it goes to where my grocery store is, where my girlfriend is, and to the airport) but I have to take a bus or drive to get to it.
"And remember, you don't have to be a complete fool in order to succeed. Play the game, but don't believe in it-- that much you owe yourself."

littlefallsmets

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2011, 01:09:34 am »

Alls I know is I've lived in three places big enough for a bus system of any significance: Syracuse, Los Angeles and New York City.

The buses in Syracuse and Los Angeles were disgusting, unsafe, slow as fuck-all and completely unreliable.

The buses in New York City are merely disgusting, unsafe, slow as fuck-all and mostly unreliable.

This might be different in Canada but Canada basically gets every public sector thing better than we do.

Still, even in a Canadian metropolis, if they have trains, the trains are probably still 1000% better than the buses.

The Toronto subway is probably like being in the fuck*ng Jetsons if they have one.
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

• Nightlife Mingus
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2011, 01:17:45 am »

Ha-ha!

/Nelson

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 566
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2011, 01:46:46 am »

The Toronto subway is actually quite mild-mannered.

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

• Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10017
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2011, 04:18:20 pm »

Buses are the kind of horror that either disproves the concept of a higher power or, at least, proves there is a functional evil counterpoint to a higher power.

If I can never ride another bus again in my life, I will count myself as not having failed on that point.

My friend in Seattle posted this as her status last night:

Some dude just got kicked off this bus for smoking crack. Happy Friday, everyone!

I agree, buses suck. I may start taking the light rail to work (the light rail here is pretty good) but it's a pretty long walk to the closest stop. The stop does have a parking lot but some of the lots are notorious for break-ins (I've been a victim) so I might be taking a bus for a bit every morning.

Get yourself a 1982 boom box, blare some Berlin at the world for the day and film it.

This YouTube redesign is throwing me off. It took me too long to figure out which tab I needed to go to to hit replay on that shit!
I was decaying inside from postponed consequences. - Walter Kirn

Nabubrush

• Nightlife Mingus
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2011, 06:01:24 pm »

Buses suck if they don't let you smoke crack on them, that's for sure.

side_show

• Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 497
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2011, 04:08:09 am »

Having ridden all forms of Toronto's public transit, which includes an inter-linking series of subways, streetcars and buses, and having only my lowly home town to really compare to (I've been on other city's public transit, but not in any in depth way) I have to say Toronto's transit system is pretty fuck*ng awesome.  The last time I was on a subway in Toronto, I was on my way to my play's opening, wearing a gown and silver high heels, and I wasn't the only one that well dressed either.  It seemed the subway was full of non scary, non pee-smelling people, so just that makes it totally different from my local transit.    The thing that really pleased me about Toronto's buses is that unlike my local buses, which have two sets of two seaters with a tiny isle, the Toronto buses I've been on have one row of two seaters on one side of one seaters that allow the solo traveler to sit without having a stranger press against them.  And, oh, yeah - you walk up to a stop for a bus/subway car/street car, and during peak hours, one just shows up shortly there after to get  you efficiently where you need to go - no need to check a schedule or anything.  If you tried that in my city, you could end up waiting a half hour or more, or even be standing at a stop that for whatever scheduling reason, the buses skip for no logical reason. 

I guess part of the beauty of how it all runs so well in Toronto is that it's a city designed as a grid, so understanding where you need to go and how the transit system is designed is fairly simple.  After my first week in TO I was giving other people directions.  Seriously, a guy asked me directions and I could tell him where to go without a map.  Unlike my city, which is spread over two major rivers that seem to have caused city planners to go "oh well, fuck it, we'll just put streets wherever, to hell with logic."

When it comes to my local transit, the riders are overwhelmingly of the marginalized set, so things get interesting fairly regularly.
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2011, 06:45:20 am »

St Louis is on a grid, but... all the good roads are not part of the grid. Also, train tracks and highways and a big river distort/destroy the grid.

In the north part of the city, where my internship is, the street grid was planned when that area was several separate towns. So the grid shifts at bizarre angles to follow the shape of the river.

Nabubrush

• Nightlife Mingus
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2011, 03:41:08 pm »

robot_god

• roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2011, 11:19:12 am »

the Toronto buses I've been on have one row of two seaters on one side of one seaters that allow the solo traveler to sit without having a stranger press against them.

NY has the same buses.  Only the lines with the heaviest volume of passengers have 2 x 2's.  The more common 1's + 2's tend to have a hossshoe of seating in the back of the bus behind the back door.  Very useful for communal conversation.  Five seats across the back, three seats along the doorside window, four seats opposite those, then three more opposite the back door which fold up for wheelchair seating.  These are the best seats, because you can put your legs up and lay across several seats.

The danger with the single seat is that if the bus becomes crowded and there are no seats left, the single seat passengers become more likely to have a standing stranger's junk next to their face.

However I too vowed to never take a bus again.  Since I received my license (a month away from ten years now, shit) I've taken one maybe twice.  On numerous instances I've taken a 45 minute plus walk in lieu of taking the bus.
ACHIEVE
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up