Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Merry CHRISTmas!  (Read 17801 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Merry CHRISTmas!
« on: December 06, 2011, 06:05:36 am »

Tis the season.  Let me start off the conversation with this.  Enjoy.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 06:27:48 am »

Hosted on Regretsy.  Made me think you were referencing
 this kerfuffle
somehow.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 06:29:28 am by pmcd9 »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 06:31:04 am »

No, but I did post that over in the thread where we were talking about paypal.

Wait, there's more!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 12:30:59 pm »

Keep humping that chicken, guy. We've been rocking on Christmas and listening to this crap since the 1600's.

http://www.olivercromwell.org/faqs4.htm
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 05:38:02 pm »

This article had a line which reminded me of this perennial battle:

Quote
“the effort of Americans of diverse cultural and moral persuasions to win reassurance that their values are respected by the community at large…Such persons believe that their prestige in the community, even their selef-esteem, depends on having these values honored in public.

I'm always waiting for a customer to get mad at me when I say Happy Holidays.  But so far it seems like people in St Louis are sane, in that one way at least.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 05:49:45 pm »

I say Merry Christmas, because that's what I celebrate. If someone wants to come back at me with "Happy Hanukkah" or "Happy Solstice" or just a non-committal "Happy Holidays" or "Happy New Year," I welcome it. If I know someone to be Jewish or pagan, I will wish them the appropriate greeting for their religion, but in cashier-at-the-supermarket situations, I just say M.C. because that's what feels most  natural to me.

Especially since a lot of atheist and agnostic people celebrate a secular Christmas, which is fine with me. Some Christians get upset about that, but I figure, peace on earth, goodwill and all that jazz, I'm willing to share my holiday with whoever wants a piece of it, whether you believe in the Baby Jeebus or not.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 05:53:35 pm »

Do any of the sects other than catholic actually call their services "mass?" If not then shouldn't we be putting the mass back in christMas?
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 06:16:26 pm »

I think some of the Orthodox churches, the CofE, and maybe the Lutherans?  Old-school Christianity anyway.  Oh, and Satanists, right?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 06:43:30 pm »

I don't celebrate anything during this time of year, so no matter what somebody says to me I tell them to get fucked.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 06:52:05 pm »

I like to flip the script on people and ask them what's with the war on New Years?

I mean, like, originally, Happy Holidays wasn't even about cultural sensitivity, it was just a catchall for Christmas and New Years for people you weren't gonna see again until a while after New Years.

So I start frothing about New Years not getting respected and... occasionally... they even get what I'm actually doing with it.

I'm agnostic but I am damn fine with having big parties because the days are getting longer again and if you wanna call it "Christmas" it's just a word.

It's all just arbitrary markers these people are fighting over, it is as inconsequential to reality as a border is.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 12:00:56 am »

I try not to speak at all to strangers.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 01:03:49 am »

I had a really funny moment where this young girl I work with came around handing out candy canes.  She sort of froze up when trying to explain herself, clearly because she didn't want to say "Christmas" for fear of offending someone, so I helped her out by saying "oh you're handing these out for Decemberween?" and somehow I guess she decided I had given her the perfectly PC thing to say as I heard her moving from cubicle to cubicle saying "Happy Decemberween!"  It was sort of adorable.  I'm fairly certain she had no idea what I was referring to.  This is the same young lady, who all wide eyed and sincere told me she looked forward to being "older" like me because I seemed so secure in my self image.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 01:17:45 am »

What a fun video.  Steampunk fans are rolling in their burnished bronze graves.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 02:40:00 am »

I accidentally referred to someone my mom's age as "old" in a conversation with my mom the other day. That felt pretty bad for everyone.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 05:13:43 am »

I think some of the Orthodox churches, the CofE, and maybe the Lutherans?  Old-school Christianity anyway.  Oh, and Satanists, right?

Orthodox, yes. We Lutherans, no. Not sure about CoE.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up