Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: The Internet: Explain it to Meme?  (Read 27146 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Internet: Explain it to Meme?
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2012, 06:29:39 pm »

At my high school some popular pejoratives (aside from gay) were texan, southern, and canadian.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: The Internet: Explain it to Meme?
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2012, 06:34:58 pm »

Shunning? Well thanks for being all Quaker on us!

Quaker? You're Oat-istic!
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Internet: Explain it to Meme?
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2012, 06:42:19 pm »

At my high school some popular pejoratives (aside from gay) were texan, southern, and canadian.

There was a trend here for a while (long after I was out of high school) where some white kids were using "canadian" as a substitute for the "n-word."

When I was a kid, ours were the usual assortment of gay, fag, queer, dork, retarded, spaz, and turd. We occasionally heard Pollock, that's the closest we got to anything racial, but it was a pretty white town. I actually didn't know what the n-word was until I read Huckleberry Finn in the sixth grade.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: The Internet: Explain it to Meme?
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2012, 06:42:48 pm »

Quaker? You're Oat-istic!


There should be more grain-based insults hinting at autism spectrum disorders. You have grass-pergers.
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Internet: Explain it to Meme?
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2012, 10:28:37 pm »

At my high school some popular pejoratives (aside from gay) were texan, southern, and canadian.

Basically anyone that wasn't you, in other words. Down here it's popular to use Yankee as a pejorative, but that's mostly because all Yankees are assholes.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Internet: Explain it to Meme?
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2012, 11:31:52 pm »

There should be more grain-based insults hinting at autism spectrum disorders. You have grass-pergers.


Your aspergers is graspergers.

Basically anyone that wasn't you, in other words. Down here it's popular to use Yankee as a pejorative, but that's mostly because all Yankees are assholes.

I know you're joking, but when my father-in-law says this, he is not.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Internet: Explain it to Meme?
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2012, 11:40:25 pm »

That is definitely a pejorative and not some jokey thing.  That is cause people in the south are closed minded dicks, in general.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Internet: Explain it to Meme?
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2012, 12:11:48 am »

You know, though?

I can at least wrap my head around Juggaloism.

It's an understandable kind of crazy. It's just a batshit extreme distillation of many people's heavy metal phase or something in high school.

I don't understand the degree but the kernel, I can understand the social shaping forces behind it.

Some of the darkest strains of Bronyism seem like things David Lynch thought about putting in a movie and then threw out because they were too unbelievable for a David Lynch movie.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: The Internet: Explain it to Meme?
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2012, 01:32:27 am »

The Darkest Strains of Bronyism is just the best phrase ever.

Sadly, the Darkest Strains of Bronyism are usually indicative of a extreme psychological disorder. That link is full of NSFW-evil.
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The Internet: Explain it to Meme?
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2012, 03:51:37 am »

That is definitely a pejorative and not some jokey thing.  That is cause people in the south are closed minded dicks, in general.

i think two things of that statement. 1) you haven't met terribly many people in the south; and/or 2) one reaps what one sows
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Internet: Explain it to Meme?
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2012, 06:33:42 am »

Or I am from the South and A) know that to be true and B) am fuck*ng around. 

Over half of the people I went to high school with would probably just straight tell you they are racist, I once lived with a black guy with a pit bull and only because of this our house was under pretty severe and obvious police surveillance (police are racist, close minded pricks everywhere, granted...).  Lowest education levels equals stupidest people equals biggest sheep. 

Look, I've been a freak in the South and I've been a freak in Denver.  I have not spoken to a police officer or been seriously threatened to fight because of the way I look since since coming to Colorado.  That is not the case where I come from.  Look different, do drugs in a somewhat open manner and carry yourself like you don't give a fuck and see what happens to you in the south.  Then do it someplace that is decent and see what happens.  That said, if you see another freak in the South you know that person is a freak too, and not just some hipster fuck, so I kind of liked that part.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:46:54 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Internet: Explain it to Meme?
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2012, 02:59:35 pm »

Oklahoma isn't the South.  Neither is Texas. 

Sigh.  One more time...

There are racists, morons and assholes everywhere.  In my experience, they're in about the same proportion everywhere you go.

You see, the reason racism is wrong is because you're judging people as a group rather than as an individual.  When you make blanket statements about a group of people based on where they come from or what group they belong to, that's exactly what you're doing.

People from Africa are lazy and dishonest = BAD
People from Asia can't drive = BAD
People from the South are ignorant racists = OK?

You know, the further I go the more I dislike any value judgements about any group of people.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Internet: Explain it to Meme?
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2012, 05:17:03 pm »

Yeah, Oklahoma and Texas are like the worst parts of the south, mixed with the worst parts of the Midwest mixed with their own, unique shitty thing, you are right about that.  I'm just saying, I've lived in different parts of the country and at least in one part the racist shitbags feel like they have to hide.  Not true in ok or tx, is all.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Internet: Explain it to Meme?
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2012, 05:19:35 pm »

I've actually always wondered about that asian drivers one. My sense is that driving in Asia is really intense and competitive and fast.  Why do they forget how to drive when they come over here? I have ridden in the car with some stereotypical Asian drivers and... DAMN.

I was reading somewhere that visitors from Asia and Africa are always surprised at the fact that Americans follow traffic laws/signs. Maybe that's part of it?


I am partially with Aug, but I think there comes a point where you can say "the South literally switched political parties because of racial integration efforts, maybe there is some characteristic they have which made this happen."

I agree, there are close-minded assholes in every place. But in some places that manifests in open racism more than others.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Internet: Explain it to Meme?
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2012, 09:26:30 pm »

I've actually always wondered about that asian drivers one. My sense is that driving in Asia is really intense and competitive and fast.  Why do they forget how to drive when they come over here? I have ridden in the car with some stereotypical Asian drivers and... DAMN.

If you are in Asia and you have a car you are pretty well off. That's not your typical immigrant. I suspect most of those who come to America have never driven in their life previously.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up