Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Prescriptive grammar  (Read 38900 times)

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2013, 01:20:05 am »

I think it's called Authoritah
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2013, 01:42:07 pm »

OMG guys I finally got a chance to listen to the Lexicon Valley podcast, which I had never heard of before, and it is so irritating I wanted to throw my computer across the room.

I listen to On the Media and Bob Garfield is OK there, but I guess this is what happens when he doesn't have an editor? And also, how did it take them two whole episodes to explain the New York r-dropping stuff? I feel like even the longest possible explanation I could give of that research would take five minutes.

Maybe it was a mistake to start with a topic that I have known all about for as long as I have known about anything, but I guess I though that with two whole episodes, they must be bringing something new to it. But SO NOT, except for a whole lot of OMG PLEASE DUCT TAPE HIS MOUTH SHUT.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2013, 08:51:20 pm »

So are you going to explain the new york r dropping stuff or just leave me hanging?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2013, 09:00:58 pm »

Go listen to the podcast. I could be wrong, it might be totally fascinating.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2013, 02:01:44 pm »

am i just going to have to get used to people saying "[blank] and I" whenever they should be saying "[blank] and me" or is it just a passing fad to phrase this wrong or is education really failing us that bad. would you say "look at this picture of I" unless you were a rastafarian.

the rule "avoid 'and me' " has been so overtaught people are afraid to use it when it's proper to do so

"jimmy and i went to the lake"
"aunt helen left julie and me the china set in her will"

there's a place for the first person object pronoun and it's being completely abandoned by people years out of school and still afraid of detention
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2013, 02:42:02 pm »

You think that's annoying? I work with someone who doesn't know how to use effect/affect so he finds other constructions. Usually by using the word "impact"
"Powerpoint is a really impactive presentation tool"
"The terrorist attack impacted Boston"
"The consequential impact of coffee is that I poop more"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2013, 02:54:42 pm »

am i just going to have to get used to people saying "[blank] and I" whenever they should be saying "[blank] and me" or is it just a passing fad to phrase this wrong or is education really failing us that bad. would you say "look at this picture of I" unless you were a rastafarian.

the rule "avoid 'and me' " has been so overtaught people are afraid to use it when it's proper to do so

Yeah, you're just going to have to get used to it. I think the thing is that English has too little case-marking left for the pronouns to resist this kind of change.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2013, 03:14:41 pm »

Hell, people don't understand the difference between "your" and "you're," I have no hope that they'll figure out "Fred and I" vs. "me and Fred."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2013, 03:29:50 pm »

You think that's annoying? I work with someone who doesn't know how to use effect/affect so he finds other constructions. Usually by using the word "impact"
"Powerpoint is a really impactive presentation tool"
"The terrorist attack impacted Boston"
"The consequential impact of coffee is that I poop more"

I think if somebody said the word "impactive" in my presence I would be hard pressed to keep myself from laughing.  The eye-roll would be reflexive.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2013, 03:58:02 pm »

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I don't understand what Choop is saying. For your well being would you please try to explain it to me and I'll try to use it properly.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2013, 04:11:34 pm »

Yesterday I commented (in jest) on Pedro ending a sentence with a preposition, and it led to him "correcting" himself by misusing the word "whom." I'm not sure which is worse.

OK, yes I am. "Whom is the owner of this" is much worse than "Who does this belong to?"
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2013, 04:17:35 pm »

paul: these are correct sentences.

Quote
"jimmy and i went to the lake"
"aunt helen left julie and me the china set in her will"

these are incorrect sentences.

Quote
"jimmy and me went to the lake"
"aunt helen left julie and i the china set in her will"

capisce?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2013, 04:40:00 pm »

Yesterday I commented (in jest) on Pedro ending a sentence with a preposition

"Where's the library at, asshole?"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2013, 05:09:13 pm »

Yesterday I commented (in jest) on Pedro ending a sentence with a preposition, and it led to him "correcting" himself by misusing the word "whom." I'm not sure which is worse.

OK, yes I am. "Whom is the owner of this" is much worse than "Who does this belong to?"

If this doesn't convince people to just shut up and let other people talk, I don't know what can.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2013, 05:15:50 pm »

paul: these are correct sentences.
The way to break it down and figure out which one is correct is to eliminate the person objects in the sentence other than yourself.  "Aunt Helen left Julie and me the china set in her will."
I think if somebody said the word "impactive" in my presence I would be hard pressed to keep myself from laughing."
Yeah, it sounds like something that would require a high fiber diet and plenty of alone time to get through.  I used to laugh when I'd hear grownups say they were "excited" by a work project, or hearing a proposal, or meeting someone.  It just seemed like an inappropriate use of the work; more emotional than the circumstance called for.  Now I find myself using it like that.  Part of it is workspeak, and part of it is putting yourself in a positive affective state regarding your professional obligations, I think.  It is still overused though.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 05:22:55 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up