Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Runners (Advice?)  (Read 29634 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2013, 10:48:13 pm »

Welp, I did 4.5k in 45 minutes today, that's a step I guess.

I might have gone 5k but the training program made me stop for knee lifts every 2 minutes five times between sprints, and there was a full 2-minute stretch break that had me not moving at all, so that nerfed my mileage/pace a bit.

Also, I added "Don't Fear the Reaper" to my playlist today, and that is a pretty good one for running from invisible zombies.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 10:54:49 pm »

Seriously.

This app is pretty awesome, it tells a story that makes the training drills make sense. "Oh, we're training you so that you can collect supplies for us, so just take a quick jog around the camp, OH WAIT THERE ARE SHAMBLERS IN THEM THERE HILLS, run, motherfucker! *BAM* OK, we got 'em, you can walk again."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 06:01:31 pm »

Today I squeezed in a run even though Chaos Girl was off school by taking her to a playground and running the trail that circles it, like, twenty times in a row. Thanks to the leaves not yet being on the trees, I could keep her in my sight the whole time.

So that's neat -- I might not have to miss my training the whole time she's out of school in June. Unless, of course, that it's too hot to run on a nearly shadeless trail by then.

This is the only time in my life I've ever thought that it might sort of make sense to have a treadmill t in my house. Can you rent those?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 05:08:27 am »

Best bet is to get one cheap off Craigslist.  No shortage of them.  You will use it 3 times in the first week, once a week for another month, twice in the following 6 months.  Then you will put it on Craigslist.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 01:46:23 pm »

Well, I just want to use it for a month between the time my daughter finishes preschool in June and the time she starts Kindergarten in July, but I would use it 3x/wk during that time. After that if it's too hot or cold to run outside I can go to the gym.

I looked on CL and they range in price from "what's the catch?" to "delusional." I'm not sure I can justify paying $200 for something I know will be obsolete in a month, but I suppose that if I can re-sell it for even half of what I paid for it, it'll be worthwhile.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2013, 04:44:00 pm »

I broke 5K in 52 minutes today for the first time. And I totally got hit with freezing rain halfway through, so I'm double bad-ass today.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 07:21:32 pm »

I haven't run in 2 weeks because of a (knee) problem.

I'm going to run tonight.  Wish my knee luck.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 12:31:50 pm »

I'm on my own '5k a day' plan and stroking hard.

Every day?  7 a week?  Damn!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 01:28:04 pm »

Yeah, I can only manage 3x/week due to scheduling. But I think even if I had time for more I wouldn't be able to get by without my day in between to recover.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2013, 04:11:56 am »

I find that I'm less sore if I only skip one day in between -- not sore at all any more actually -- but I don't do nearly as well on the second day if I go twice in a row. I need the day in between to regain my *mental* energy, if not my physical stamina.

Today I ran 6 minutes straight (no walk break) for the first time ever in my entire life. That is pretty amazing, both in the accomplishment and the fact that it took me 34 years to get there. On Saturday I'm going to go for 7 without a stop, which is the amount of time allowed between stretch breaks in the training program this week. Then on Monday I'm going to try to do it twice in a row with only a 2 minute break in between.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2013, 05:49:44 am »

Okay, so I run a lot.  I smoke like 2 packs a day and rolled my own cigarettes with no filters for 8 years before I started running.  I had never run and literally couldn't run 2 blocks straight 9 months ago.  Now I run about 10 miles a day (I just switched to mornings, so am cutting myself some slack-did 6-8 mi all last week and 10 today (oh, my weeks start on thursday))...anyways, you will work through that sore unable to run thing.  Some days are good and some are bad, but I am generally at like 78-83 minutes for 10 mi no matter how good or shitty I feel that day.  I mean, if you are doing a race, yeah, don't run the day before (i would actually not run two days before, then run much less than usual/the race length the day before), but you can run consistently daily without a weekly break, not to mention a break every other day.  All you have to do is run!  Every fuck*ng day.  And it gets better as you go.  And don't let your mind tell you what your body can do.  That little thing inside you that is all, yo, I am sore, why I am doing this... be all hey me, I am going to run for at least 6 minutes straight and then see how I feel, and then I am going to keep running, because I ran six minutes straight yesterday and I can again today. 

Also, everything you eat is wrong, if you are like most people at least.  Probably the easiest solution would be to have a really big spinach salad with no dressing for breakfast and at least 3-4 more servings of raw fruits or veggies throughout the day.  That will make you feel full and make your body feel amazing, in general and for running purposes.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2013, 05:50:28 am »

Also, I drink 6 liters of water a day and no soda or coffee.  That might be too much, but stay really hydrated.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2013, 12:36:16 pm »

That's pretty fast, Keith!

I have been off for 3 weeks with a sore knee and circumstances.  But I'm back running tomorrow.  Knee is much better -- it was weird and I knew I needed to rest for a while because I had "pain" instead of "soreness" if you know what I mean.

I run four days a week, usually between 4.5 and 5 miles at about 9:30 per.  I also have the vinyasa yoga thing going on at least 5 days a week, generally right before I run.  Tennis season is starting up and we'll usually play 3 - 4 times a week so sometimes I'll sub out some tennis for a run, especially in the high summertime.

I have missed running like hell for the past 3 weeks.  It's like I have all this spare energy that's not getting burned off.  I was afraid I was going to pack on the weight without running, but so far it seems like I haven't.  I eat more when I run.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2013, 01:59:08 pm »

I mean -- in addition to the thing where running daily makes me wear out faster, which I know will improve with time -- there's also this problem I have where I am not a single guy with relatively few responsibilities.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2013, 05:35:40 pm »

I am not a single guy with relatively few responsibilities.

Oh this is so huge. 

I mean, it kind of sucks for your kids to grow up and not be little and sweet and cute and so forth any more.  But it sure is nice when they grow up enough to drive themselves around to their own crap.  So much time for activities!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up