Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Runners (Advice?)  (Read 29666 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2013, 09:25:43 pm »

My sainted wife is struggling with this right now.  In a sense, its her own fault: she encouraged my daughter to try out for the traveling basketball league (on top of her school team and CYO) and get on a swim team.  I think she had thought through the schedule hit for our daughter, but not so much for herself.  I'm coaching for 2 nights a week, plus both weekend days for 3-6 hours at a stretch.  She also has this hangup at the moment where if she can't make the specific class she wants, she just skips exercising that day.  She had been making pretty good progress with Weight Watchers and her exercise program - but now she's back to just trying to control portion size (which is good and all, but probably not enough).  My mantra for her is if there is no time in the schedule, then you have to make time.  Prioritize yourself above some of the other things in the list. 
This didn't use to be so much of an issue (my daughter's schedule) because my niece was generally available to take care of the little guy.  This semester she has all night classes though, so that put us back in the same boat as most other parents of young kids with regard to free time for caring for ourselves.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2013, 12:44:29 am »

I mean -- in addition to the thing where running daily makes me wear out faster, which I know will improve with time -- there's also this problem I have where I am not a single guy with relatively few responsibilities.

Oh, I get that, even if it seemed like I didn't.  What I am saying is whenever your excersize fits into your schedule do not let your head control your body.  Your body is much stronger than your head thinks, at least if you are like me.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2013, 11:02:08 pm »

Ugh, I did NOT manage to run as long at a stretch this time. I did five minutes straight and then burned out. I couldn't sustain a run for more than 2 minutes after that without feeling lightheaded.

I don't know what the deal was -- I ran counter-clockwise on a trail I usually run clockwise and it seemed steeper in that direction, but I also worked 7 hours (with very little sitting) before hitting the trail so maybe my legs were a little fatigued from running around the store all morning. Or maybe I was just having trouble getting enough oxygen in the pollen-so-thick-you-can-see-it haze that has descended upon the Carolinas. Regardless, I don't feel like I had a really good quality run today but I guess you can't hit them out of the park every time.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2013, 01:31:05 am »

I'm just telling you what works for me-ymmv.

So yeah, do not make excuses like you were working or the pollen haze, etc., just think okay, I didn't do as well today, but I will do better tomorrow (next time for you).  When you say things like what you say you are making excuses, which makes it out of your control, but it is very much in your control.  My way you just think, okay, I did my honest best today and will again next time.  Also, it is a really good idea to switch directions every other time you run outside if you have an established course.  Almost mandatory.

My mantra (?) is no personal limitations- just think that when you run and try to get to a place mentally where you are thinking about nothing while running, then you hopefully won't think about how hard it is. 

Also- raw veggies!!!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2013, 05:45:14 pm »

I don't feel like I'm trying to make excuses. I'm trying to figure out whether the fact that I didn't perform as well or better was something over which I have control, or if it was just the way things were.

I mean, obviously if am running a steeper incline I am going to get tired faster. I don't mind my pace getting nerfed if it means I'm still getting a good workout. But I don't really feel like I did -- I felt like my body gave out sooner than usual and I didn't get the most out of my run yesterday. I am wondering if there's a reason for that so that I can avoid that kind of situation in the future. Schedule my run for a time other than "right after work?" Eat a better/lighter/more veg-oriented lunch? Or was it just the air being heavy with pollen making me lightheaded and I wasn't going to get a good outdoor run regardless?

My sinuses are completely fucked up today so I think maybe it was the latter. In which case -- yeah, try try again. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll be able to try that particular trail again tomorrow because my kid has been puking all day and isn't going to be able to go to school. I'll have to do the trail near my house instead, which is flatter and not as pretty.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2013, 05:11:40 pm »

We all have off days but what makes a real difference is that you were sub-optimal AND YOU STILL RAN.

OK, that is a big deal. A lot bigger than falling some small percentage short of your performance goals. You can't fail if you don't perform, risking failure is a mental hurdle on the route to being a Tough Guy (wimmen admitted). Stay committed, chicky-boo-boo.

(hey eggman, the hinge letting you run it out?)

Yeah, pretty much.  Hip problems are back, but I just have to go back to rolling them I think.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2013, 07:43:28 pm »

We all have off days but what makes a real difference is that you were sub-optimal AND YOU STILL RAN.

OK, that is a big deal. A lot bigger than falling some small percentage short of your performance goals. You can't fail if you don't perform, risking failure is a mental hurdle on the route to being a Tough Guy (wimmen admitted). Stay committed, chicky-boo-boo.

(hey eggman, the hinge letting you run it out?)

Yeah, I don't know what the deal was. I did run that same trail again yesterday and felt like I hammered it home, so I'm gonna blame the yellow haze making it hard to breathe and move on with my life. I didn't make it to 7 minutes x 2 reps but I did a 7 and a 5 (along with a couple of 2s and 3s with brisk walking in between) so I'm going to take that as a win.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2013, 05:37:34 pm »

My biggest advice for runners these days is to wear armor. Jeez.
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2013, 05:48:24 pm »

I knew we could count on you Bobby.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2013, 10:04:19 pm »

Well if more runners had bombs then we wouldn't have to worry about bombers.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2013, 10:26:25 pm »

I had another terrible run today, but I know the reason. This might be TMI, but I'm having my Lady Days and it was brutal. Forget what those Tampax commercials show you about spinning on the beach in white dresses, it is hard to keep pounding the pavement when your uterus is trying to kill you from the inside.

Exercise is supposed to help with cramps, but I imagine that's just because if you work out long enough while menstruating you eventually pass out for a few days and consequently don't notice them.

Gah. I'm going to re-run this mission on Saturday and see if I can kick its ass, because today, it kicked mine.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2013, 10:27:12 pm »

Well if more runners had bombs then we wouldn't have to worry about bombers.

That's a 1000 can quote.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2013, 11:51:45 pm »

Gah. I'm going to re-run this mission on Saturday and see if I can kick its ass, because today, it kicked mine.

Some days are just like that.  Tomorrow's a new one.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2013, 01:21:19 am »

Exercise is supposed to help with cramps, but I imagine that's just because if you work out long enough while menstruating you eventually pass out for a few days and consequently don't notice them.

Yeah, in my experience that is total bullshit, like everything else that's supposed to help with cramps other than dangerous quantities of ibuprofen. And menopause.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2013, 11:00:45 pm »

I'm getting slower. Why am I getting slower?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up