Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Runners (Advice?)  (Read 29618 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2013, 12:22:44 pm »

That's great!  It's not slow if it's faster than you were before.  Did you run the whole 2 miles?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2013, 01:35:49 pm »

Not quite. My training program plays a song, then about a minute of story, then another song, repeat etc. I was able to run through each song (I choose longer-than-average songs, 5 - 6 minutes) and only walk during the story bits.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2013, 02:57:46 pm »

Breaking your rhythm like that may be contributing to your problems. Finding your consistent stride, speed, and breathing makes a big difference.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2013, 03:38:27 pm »

You assume that continuing past the six-minute mark won't kill me. Trust me, I *need* the walk breaks to get my breath back at this point.

I used to need them after two minutes, so I'm improving. But I'm not to the point where I can run ten minutes at a stretch yet, and if I try to go too fast I can't even do five.

I'm trying to stretch the amount of time I can do a sustained running pace first, and when I can do half an hour solid I'll start working on improving my speed.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2013, 05:44:52 pm »

Here: http://jog.fm/workout-songs/for/15:00/minute-miles
Bump it up to 17 if you need to, but seriously, a sustainable rhythm is going to save you. Once you're warmed up, the breathing takes care of itself. I use marine cadence mp3s because I have too many friends who send me that kind of stuff, but jog.fm seems to work pretty well for anything else.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2013, 07:26:03 pm »

Oh, yes. I make my own playlists based (partially) on bpm. Also I've been running on a treadmill due to Circumstances. Hard to unintentionally slow down on a 'mill.

Ash, I've been there. I've also had to drive out and pick up Pedro on the side of the road due to similar. One reason I usually run the same few park trails -- I know where all the restrooms are.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2013, 01:22:56 pm »

Oh, yes. I make my own playlists based (partially) on bpm. Also I've been running on a treadmill due to Circumstances. Hard to unintentionally slow down on a 'mill.

Ash, I've been there. I've also had to drive out and pick up Pedro on the side of the road due to similar. One reason I usually run the same few park trails -- I know where all the restrooms are.


Keep your pace up to this instrumental and you'll be good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNv8Neee7ok
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2013, 04:48:09 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2013, 09:28:51 pm »

Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2013, 11:54:29 pm »

On that note, going for a 10 mile run two days after heavy deadlifts and squats ... my IT band is not a happy camper.
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2013, 02:43:42 pm »

http://mdmfundraiser.com/

The 100 pull ups are a deal breaker.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2013, 04:45:27 pm »

This isn't new but I don't recall seeing it here:



Personal record, though I intend to beat it this evening.

Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2013, 04:59:11 pm »

Dude if you can beat it to that, you set a new record.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up