Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Runners (Advice?)  (Read 29681 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2013, 05:06:14 pm »

Dude if you can beat it to that, you set a new record.

I just dead lifted a tiny can for you.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2013, 03:12:48 pm »

I fell off the wagon. I was pretty sick with a stomach thing for four days and then had a three-day migraine. Sandwich that between getting kidnapped and pulling long shifts at work and it's been almost two weeks since my last confession.

I'm gonna start up again on Monday but it's gonna huuuuuurrrrrrt.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2013, 04:29:24 pm »

I'll say the same thing I ask myself and my wife when it comes to resuming exercise: Why wait?  If you can go now, go.  Putting it off until some future time (however definite) assumes your future self will have more willpower than your present self.  Why would that be?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2013, 08:27:01 pm »

That's not really putting it off. Monday is just a couple of days away and maybe she has a busy weekend planned.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2013, 08:27:43 pm »

Pain is penitence.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2013, 10:29:23 pm »

How You Feel is a Lie
That phrase is the Broz mantra. You simply can't listen to your body because it's lying to you. Broz can cite countless examples of athletes setting PR's on days they didn't even want to train, as well as days where the athlete felt like a million bucks but didn't fare so well in the gym.

Fact is, when I visited Broz he explained that the previous week his wrist was so sore that he could barely warm up with the bar during split jerks, but he pushed through it, eventually felt warmed up, and ended up jerking 405 lbs. The following day his wrist pain had vanished.

He describes this phenomenon as "floating pain" – your body has to hurt somewhere. It will simply migrate from one place to the next while you sleep, and when you awaken you'll discover where it landed.
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2013, 11:08:54 pm »

I completely agree with Jay Dub and Bobby- especially bobby.  Somedays I am all, fuck, I do not want to run today- I sit on my porch just chain smoking and wasting time, then I leave really late, which makes me kinda stressed and not want to do it in itself- then I do the best I have ever done/best I've done that week, whatever.  I always thought it was really weird and am kinda glad to know that is a thing.  Also, somedays I feel great and am looking forward to run and...well, I randomly suck.

I have been yelling at my legs to shut up recently.  Fuck those guys.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2013, 05:27:25 am »

That's not really putting it off. Monday is just a couple of days away and maybe she has a busy weekend planned.

Paul has my back here. Yeah, I basically have no days between now and Monday where I have time to run, even on my treadmill, because I'm working extra this weekend and have a billion other things going on. Unless I want to run at 11PM, which, seriously, fuck that noise.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2013, 06:19:16 am »

To be fair, when I wrote that it was Thursday and I thought it was Friday. Ha ha ha....
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2013, 05:35:41 am »

Biking to work, my feeling is "oh god let it end, another hill, whyyy"
biking home I start up a hill and am like LET IT BURN YOU WIMPY ASSHOLE, BURN THOSE SKINNY LITTLE LEGS TO ASH. I go so much faster on the way home. What is the deal. That direction should be a lot harder, since it is uphill away from the river. Hmm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2013, 09:19:43 am »

Probably because you want to go home, but you don't want to go to work.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2013, 05:09:31 pm »

It also helps that night time is less hot, less sunny, and there are fewer cars. I also think I need to stretch before I bike to work... that first hill always feels awful.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2013, 05:19:45 pm »

I didn't run for six weeks 'til today and now I hate myself.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up