Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Poll

What's the best punishment for the thieves?

Hung from the testicles with the highest strings of the stolen Fender Stratocaster
- 5 (31.3%)
Beaten Senseless with the Empty Bottles from the Bar
- 7 (43.8%)
Wrapped and Smothered with the stolen tent
- 4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: January 10, 2004, 01:57:01 am


Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: House Robbery and Opportunity  (Read 25450 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2004, 04:29:33 pm »

Sublime - Sublime
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2004, 04:42:18 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
...I'll mp3 it to you.


That's my first sighting of mp3 as a verb.

Ahem.


Vince Guaraldi, et al: Happy Anniversary, Charlie Brown
The Beatles: Rubber Soul
The Bee-Gees, et al: Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack (laugh all you want, it's great)
Blondie: Best of Blondie
Aerosmith: Pump
Ice T: Cop Killer (or is it Cop Killa?)
Creedence Clearwater Revival: Chronicle
india.arie: Voyage to India (lesser-known, but great later album)
Jacko: Thriller (yes, but even so, you can't have a collection without it)
Esquivel: Space-Age Bachelor Pad Music
Crosby, Stills, Nash (, Young?): So Far

Pretty much everything else has been said.

Oh, and if you're going to get any Jimmy Buffet, get Songs You Know by Heart and skip all the rest.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2004, 04:57:06 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Dawg doesn't need advice on essential records, he knows what rocks.  What he needs is his friends here to burn some disc for him.  I pledge 10 disc.  

~Paul


I agree, and have already pledged him ten of mine.  If we can get another coupla folks to pony up, we could fill the gap by a substantial margin.  Who's game?
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2004, 04:58:29 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Quote from: "Limmo"
...I'll mp3 it to you.


That's my first sighting of mp3 as a verb.

Ahem.


Yeah, I tend to invent new words when I'm sleep-deprivationated.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2004, 05:08:55 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Dawg doesn't need advice on essential records, he knows what rocks.  What he needs is his friends here to burn some disc for him.  I pledge 10 disc.  

~Paul


I agree, and have already pledged him ten of mine.  If we can get another coupla folks to pony up, we could fill the gap by a substantial margin.  Who's game?


Agreed, agreed.  I pledge the albums I mentioned above, except for Closer Than A Kiss, which is scratched and nigh-unplayable.  Instead, I will substitute a mix disk of my own choosing (not the same one everyone else is getting, as there would be substantial overlap).  I think that's 17, if I'm counting correctly.

Edit: How 'bout we get that address, Dawg?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2004, 07:30:48 pm »

I left off of my essential list

Robert Johnson King of the Delta Blues*
Muddy - Hard Again
American Graffiti ST (Killer collection of early RnR)

*if Robert Johnson isn't essential, nothing is.

Dawg, you should make a wishlist.  I've listed my essentials, but what is important is your essentials.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2004, 07:35:17 pm »

I'm in the process of converting my CDs to mp3 - all of them - and selling off the CDs or giving them away.

My 7,500 is now down to only about 300 *essential* discs that I'm not sure I can part with, but if you PM me with your address I'm sure I could find a few to donate to the cause.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2004, 07:43:33 pm »

Quote
P.S. Your categorisation of Philip Glass as "crap" brought a single tear to my eye. Have you seen Koyaanisqaatsi?


I did see it; moving piece of film and the imagery makes the music good.

Koyanniisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, Naqoyqatsi benefit from Philip Glass scoring because of the power of the imagery. Atonal music and imagery presented in that way are kind of symbiotic. Best use of Philip Glass' atonal music in my opinion, Atonal music and non-story driven film. I know several people who think he is awesome but I think it  sounds kind of like noise. One of them is a well respected music professor at Loyola in Chicago so I should let him tell me more about it.

When pretty girls cry everyone around feels pain so I'll withdraw the descriptive "crap" (also because the films are quite good) and leave it at that.

I LOVE this list by the way! It is SO interesting to get a glimpse inside the heads of so many of you through your music preferences. They are all awesome. And it's cool to read t he lists and  nod to yourself and say, "OH yeah, can NOT forget that one".

And the generosity of you guys is overwhelming! Mybe you can each post what you would be sending and I'll send the address to each of you individually (I don't want to post it).

Thanks all!
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2004, 07:52:00 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
And the generosity of you guys is overwhelming! Mybe you can each post what you would be sending and I'll send the address to each of you individually (I don't want to post it).


No, no, no, you must choose the music.  Otherwise you might get 5 copies of Robert Johnson as theres a lot of overlap on these list.  Peruse the list and decide what you want from each of us and drop a PM with the list and the address.

Also post a wishlist.  There's likely some must have items that we possess, but haven't listed.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2004, 08:10:18 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
And the generosity of you guys is overwhelming! Mybe you can each post what you would be sending and I'll send the address to each of you individually (I don't want to post it).


No, no, no, you must choose the music.  Otherwise you might get 5 copies of Robert Johnson as theres a lot of overlap on these list.  Peruse the list and decide what you want from each of us and drop a PM with the list and the address.

Also post a wishlist.  There's likely some must have items that we possess, but haven't listed.

~Paul


What he said.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2004, 08:29:33 pm »

I'd be in for sending copies of any discs off my list that you covet, just PM me the address and the wishlist.
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2004, 09:27:15 pm »

Well, given that all my music is as mp3 I could easily send you upwards of 700 minutes per disc. Depends on how useful mp3's are to you?
But I would be more than happy to send you some tuff as mp3 or CDDA.
Check my list over and send me a list of stuff and your address if you want any Dawg.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2004, 10:09:21 pm »

Oh, yeah -- if you want it, I have it, and nobody else has gotten it, I'll burn and send it no problem. Also, if we're talking about burning CDs, I have another recommendation -- a mix-CD or mp3-CD of Raised By Wolves songs. I will cheerfully make this and send if desired.

Looking through my CD collection, I've pulled out three more candidates:

Cake -- Prolonging the Magic and Comfort Eagle
(Fashion Nugget and Motorcade of Generosity are also recommended but not required.)

Thomas Dolby -- Golden Age of Wireless, Astronauts and Heretics, and Retrospectacle
(If you can only get one, get Retrospectacle, but the other two have essential tracks not on Retro.)
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2004, 10:14:05 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Cake -- Prolonging the Magic and Comfort Eagle


Especially Prolonging the Magic.  Satan is my Motor baby.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2004, 10:17:37 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Cake -- Prolonging the Magic and Comfort Eagle


Especially Prolonging the Magic.  Satan is my Motor baby.

~Paul

Cool Blue Reason. If Cake had never recorded anything beyond "Cool Blue Reason," their careers would have been entirely worthwhile.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up