Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Poll

What's the best punishment for the thieves?

Hung from the testicles with the highest strings of the stolen Fender Stratocaster
- 5 (31.3%)
Beaten Senseless with the Empty Bottles from the Bar
- 7 (43.8%)
Wrapped and Smothered with the stolen tent
- 4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: January 10, 2004, 01:57:01 am


Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: House Robbery and Opportunity  (Read 25459 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2004, 04:43:34 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Robert Johnson and LZ are in the can.  Too tired to burn any tonight.  Has anybody else been burning for AD?  

~Paul


Not yet since I waiting to get more CDR's, but once I do...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2004, 05:29:37 pm »

Aloha, I'd like to send you something that is not music related, but more related to karma that you'll likely enjoy.  I have a feeling that sending something from Canada to HI may be insanely expensive, but I'm looking into it.  If you get an odd size package, I promise it's not a bomb.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2004, 09:22:58 pm »

I've got 4/10 cds burnt... mine might take a while, on account of my exams start next week, but I'll be a trooper and do the best I can, etc.


Just know that you are JEAPORDIZING MY FUTURE.

All of you.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2004, 10:21:45 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I've got 4/10 cds burnt... mine might take a while, on account of my exams start next week, but I'll be a trooper and do the best I can, etc.


Just know that you are JEAPORDIZING MY FUTURE.

All of you.


If I woulda thought I could still be a bad influence on HS girls, I would have NEVER left the mainland. Damn.

I updated my previous address post to include a real name, for mailing purposes.

Take your time, I'm just happy you guys are so cool!

PS I was sort of poking around in the basement and I found this thread , which is really interesting to read in light of the thread we are in now.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2004, 09:51:34 pm »

Your care package is en route.  No album art or jewel boxes, just the CDs and printed playlists.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2004, 01:24:27 am »

You Rock.
You Roll.

You Rule.

So Gents, (and ladies, if you like) send shirt sizes up to XXXXXXXL (no kidding, I really saw one 7XL) and I'll respond to the CD burning fiesta with fine, high-quality hawaiian apparel the likes of which usually grace the painful pink shoulders and torsos of sunburned Japanese and Midwestern Arctic Cold Front refugees. In fact, I'll also burn some Hawaiian music for you because some of it is OK (although most of it makes me want to roll around on the ground like the little old man in 8 Crazy Nights).

Thanks again!
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2004, 11:04:06 pm »

Hiya! I'm EXTREMELY happy with the two care packages of discs (and some things my daughter really likes) that came and thank you both so much! I won't embarass you by outing you here, but it means a lot to us to have something to listen to. I will be sending back some Hawaiiana to thank you but what would be helpful would be what size of authentic Hawaiian shirt I can send you (they grow on trees here) and also if you have any specific food allergies I should avoid if I put together some kind of little package for you.

For the rest of you sending disks: I'll be asking you the same sort of question. And I do have a plan for people who don't answer...


IN OTHER NEWS: A key arrest has been made. More info including the now foregone conclusion that the housesitter is an Ice addict. One more major arrest needs to be made and the case should break; best news of all: the police have a line on the person who may have the guitar at the moment. Which would be AWESOME.

In other other news: I'm thinking about picking up Bass. Without spending tons, what's a good model to learn on? And is an acoustic Bass worth buying to learn on?

For Limmo, Slink and other musicians out there: What do you think of this?
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2004, 12:39:30 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

In other other news: I'm thinking about picking up Bass. Without spending tons, what's a good model to learn on? And is an acoustic Bass worth buying to learn on?

For Limmo, Slink and other musicians out there: What do you think of this?


You might want to slog through the disscussion of this here.  I don't know if we reached any concensus before the whole thing devolved into "f-hole" jokes, but the advice I solicited might be helpful to you.

For what it's worth, I bought a really cheap Grand acoustic bass.  It's probably crap, but as a tone-deaf starving grad student, it's good enough for me.

But then I can't play worth a damn.  Good luck, AlohaDawg
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2004, 12:41:27 am »

The 3-string bass stick looks like a fun toy, but it seems to be designed for non-traditional tunings, so you can play along with slack key music, where the guitars are tuned to an open C6 chord.  I'd also be leery of any bass where you need an EQ pedal.

By acoustic bass, do you mean a regular stand-up bass, or an acoustic bass guitar?  Two wholly different things.  

If you're interested in playing anything other than trad Hawaiian music, you'll probably want an electric bass.  I blathered about this general subject here. It's hard to go wrong with a Fender Precision.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2004, 01:16:57 am »

I was browsing Fender's Stratocaster 50th anniversary catalog (with a cool story about Stevie Ray Vaughan's "number one" and it was NOT buried with him as so many of us thought...)and I thought the acoustic bass guitars looked kind of cool.

Picked up the catalog so Elinor could pick out a guitar to replace her Strat...if everything works out OK, she gets her actual one back and maybe I get a bass.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2004, 06:10:10 pm »

I reckon acoustic basses are much maligned. And lovely.
All you need do to understand their beauty is listen to something like Please Do Not Go off Violent Femmes eponymous album.
If I learned any bass it would chiefly be acoustic, although I'd want to pick up a fretless too.

Oh, and it may be the same with bass, but acoustic guitars are far better to learn on than electric.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2004, 06:22:01 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Oh, and it may be the same with bass, but acoustic guitars are far better to learn on than electric.


Um, would you care to elaborate on this theory of yours?
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2004, 06:30:02 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"

Um, would you care to elaborate on this theory of yours?


It's not just my theory.
Part of it is that the sound yuo get back from it is in no way altered by ampage, which people will tend to overdrive even a little bit.
Also acoustics will tend to have slightly firmer string action, which means you are learning on a guitar that involves slightly more effort to play. This means when you switch to an electric you are suddenly overwhelmed at how easy it is.
Plus, with the kinds of money most people will spend to learn you won't be getting a 100watt amp, which is the first point at which amping my guitar sounded good as opposed to OK, so you wouldn't be getting a true sound.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2004, 09:37:07 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Part of it is that the sound yuo get back from it is in no way altered by ampage, which people will tend to overdrive even a little bit.


I don't even know what that means.  

Quote from: "slink"
Also acoustics will tend to have slightly firmer string action, which means you are learning on a guitar that involves slightly more effort to play. This means when you switch to an electric you are suddenly overwhelmed at how easy it is.


While I completely agree with the donut-on-a-baseball-bat theory of string action, I think it's more important for a beginner to have a guitar that won't actively discourage them from playing.  And electrics tend to be easier to play ( lighter strings and lower action ) than most acoustics.  Your statement also implies that the student will be switching to an electric in the future anyway, so....

Quote from: "slink"
Plus, with the kinds of money most people will spend to learn you won't be getting a 100watt amp, which is the first point at which amping my guitar sounded good as opposed to OK, so you wouldn't be getting a true sound.


Come on, Slink, there is an entire universe of good-sounding amps out there under 100 watts, and the smaller an amp is, the easier it is to overdrive at a volume level that won't annihilate an entire city block.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
House Robbery and Opportunity
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2004, 10:19:19 pm »

Acoustic basses became popular in the '90's, but I don't recall any really good bands using one.

The guitar players have had their say so now you can hear from an actual bass player.  Go for the solid body bass.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up