So, we're getting fresh local produce from a co-op on Wednesdays, because apparently we're locavore treehugging hipsters now or something. Which is cool, a lot of the food we're getting is stuff I'd be buying at the grocery store anyway, and I'm eating the hell out of the carrots, lettuce, strawberries, and such. But occasionally I get something that I just have no idea what to do with.
There's an option to swap anything in the box for a different veggie, but I'm taking it as a challenge -- I decided at the beginning of the year I was going to put some effort into trying new foods and cooking methods this year, and what better way?
Maybe some of you are in the same boat. I thought we could use a thread where we could ask each other for advice in the best cooking methods for various ingredients, and maybe get some new recipes for when our old favorites are getting tired. So here you go.
This week's challenge: beets, bacon grease, and cabbage.
I have never eaten a beet, but I have half a dozen (with the greens attached) in this week's produce box. Mark Bittman's cookbook (with the same title as this thread) has a fascinating-looking recipe for beet patties with rosemary (which I have in my garden) that I am dying to try. But I don't want to toss the greens, which I understand can be used in any recipe that calls for chard. Who has a good chard recipe for me?
Also, I have some leftover bacon grease from the good-ass bacon-mozzerella-spinach-tomato sandwiches I made tonight. I've strained it and put it in the fridge; I am thinking of frying some chicken in it this weekend. Any tips on that?
Finally, cabbage. I have a ton of it, and I don't care for coleslaw. I used some in a stir-fry and I plan on chopping some up and making vegetable egg rolls tomorrow, but that will only take care of about half of it, at most. What can I do with half a pound of cabbage that my daughter will actually eat?