Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Cook Everything  (Read 34234 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 11:05:08 pm »

Any good uses for Leeks? I made a badass leek and potato soup in the winter, but now it's spring and the leeks are twice as big and it's too warm for that soup.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 11:13:03 pm »

We make a recipe for pork chops smothered in a shitload of leeks that's really good.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 12:57:12 am »

when you fry the leeks, how do you cut them up? Long strips? Like onion rings?

That sounds good. damn, maybe I'll just make that leek and potato soup and drink a cold beer with it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 01:53:41 am »

Make vichyssoise. My mother used to make vichyssoise every summer.  It was so good.

Also, fresh beets are wonderful baked, with maybe a little olive oil.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 02:58:10 am »

Hey, I bought beets today as a matter of fact.  I'm planning on roasting them.  You can't go wrong with roasting root vegetables. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 04:18:30 am »

also, you can pickle them with eggs.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 02:37:28 pm »

also, you can pickle them with eggs.

There's a south central Pennsylvania guy. The bar we hung out most in college had a big jar of red beet eggs behind the bar. I'm not a fan, but for some people it was a thing you did every time.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 03:19:45 pm »

im a guy from SCPA, but i dont care for beet eggs.  nor do i dont care for beets.  i'll tear some muhfuckin pierogies up, though.

(at least i didnt bring up halupkies or haluski.)
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 05:24:02 pm »

Beet-pickled eggs are the worst part of Easter. I'd say ham, but it does stink like beet-pickled eggs do. Plus the storage container my mom kept them in growing up had an ill-fitting lid so every thing in the fridge ended up tasting like them.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 08:29:20 pm »

Oh man, I am so tired today.   You know what I don't want to do?  Go home and deal with cooking beets.  Fuck beets.  They can wait in the crisper drawer for some other day when I am enthusiastic about cooking. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 10:35:10 pm »

I juice the crap out of beets, greens and all.

Also a nice borscht with sour cream is good.   (Though I make "Sour Cream" out of raw cashews, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice.)
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 11:05:22 pm »

(Though I make "Sour Cream" out of raw cashews, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice.)

i would call that bitter.....
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 01:54:32 am »

How do you make crème fraiche?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2012, 02:01:25 am »

My best leek thing is also a soup, but it is not super heavy and I often serve it in the spring & summer alongside a green salad. (In the winter I serve it with crusty bread.) It is also vegan, which is handy at times.

I will also throw leeks into any old stir-fry, though. You can sub them in most anyplace you'd use onions. I cut them into rings.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 12:13:11 am »

I'm drunk and on vacation so I'll be honest: I'm not reading all of this right now. However, we used to get the organic groceries box and we had to give it up because we kept having to throw shit out we didn't use. However, anything we did use was delicious.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up