Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Cook Everything  (Read 34350 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2012, 08:04:59 pm »

I decided to dig around for some springier/summerier recipes, since it's getting warmer 'round these parts and I'm not feelin' the heavier fall-and-winter food that's been making up my rotation lately. Found a recipe for chicken breaded in shredded coconut. Which is great, because I have all this shredded coconut left over from another recipe I made once and didn't care for.

I will post it if it's good.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2012, 12:33:17 am »

Coconut shrimp is fantastic - I would posit that this would likewise be so.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2012, 01:32:44 am »

Never had coconut shrimp -- shellgiraffe allergy -- but I think it will be a big hit with Chaos Girl. It's the kind of thing she can help with, and it comes with dipping sauce. Those are absolutely her two favorite things.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2012, 03:09:27 am »

Grits is such a staple around here that I don't have a recipe.  I cook like my Grandmother.  I put enough of the right ingredients in and most of the time it turns out good.

I usually do some variation of this:

Boil water w/ a country ham scrap or two, ham bone or teaspoon or so of bacon grease. 

Add to the water:
teaspoon worcestershire sauce
teaspoon garlic powder, maybe supplemented with a crushed clove or two of fresh garlic
some hot sauce, usually tabasco, but what have you.
salt

When it boils, stir the grits in.  After they cook for a minute or two and start to thicken, stir in 1 to 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, the sharper the better.

Eat.

 If I have half a block of cream cheese that needs to be used, I might stir that in.  This is also good to do with mashed potatoes.  Good in the sense of tasty, not healthy.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2012, 05:50:44 am »

props to ya. basically my recipe up there subs some spices in for hot sauce and uses bacon chunks instead of boiled pigfat, and adds a tomato and basil; otherwise pretty much the same. most people eat grits on the side, but when i eat grits i just eat grits. i don't need pancakes with my oatmeal knameen? just gimme that and a spoon.

i make mashed potatoes with half sour cream, half plain yogurt. adds some tang, cuts down on the sourness, and they're super creamy without being super duper terrible for you.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2012, 12:41:09 pm »

I have lived in the South for 19 years but I still cannot abide grits. Oatmeal with brown sugar and cinnamon, please.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2012, 02:39:35 pm »

I am doing a steel-cut oats w/blueberries thing. My healthy buddy tells me to go paleo and not eat grains or dairy, but I think that is just the newest iteration of random diet lunacy (see: Atkins et al). I do wish there was more bacon and cheese in my morning bowl, though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2012, 06:26:55 pm »

I am doing a steel-cut oats w/blueberries thing.

I find the very concept of breakfast revolting but when I do have to eat it I go with overnight-oatmeal. 10 minutes of effort the night before means a bowl of hot steel-cut oats is ready to go in the morning. I'm sure it would be even easier if I owned a slow-cooker.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2012, 07:12:35 pm »

I find the very concept of breakfast revolting but when I do have to eat it I go with overnight-oatmeal. 10 minutes of effort the night before means a bowl of hot steel-cut oats is ready to go in the morning. I'm sure it would be even easier if I owned a slow-cooker.

My problem with the crock pot steel cut oats is that, to my taste, it overcooks them.  The firmer texture and "pop" when you bite them are very appealing to me and you don't get that with the overnight method. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2012, 09:05:26 pm »

You can cook them?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2012, 11:07:37 pm »

when my brothers and i were kids my mom would sometimes make us cream of wheat with raisins for breakfast.  add sugar and milk, and engage.  i havent had it in years, though.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2012, 12:31:38 am »

when my brothers and i were kids my mom would sometimes make us cream of wheat with raisins for breakfast.  add sugar and milk, and engage.  i havent had it in years, though.

Wow.  Cream of Wheat.  I used to looove that stuff.  With white sugar, cinnamon and butter.  Damn.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2012, 01:30:02 am »

Quote from: Nabubrush
But you have Poutine!

That's what Jawas yell when they die.

POU-TIN-E!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2012, 04:03:59 pm »

That noodle thing is wacky Ash.  Never heard of that one and it sound straight up gross to me, but I don't like hot dogs at all.  I guess maybe it's a sacrid meal of the worshipers of the Spaghetti monster?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2012, 04:20:44 pm »

That noodle thing is wacky Ash.  Never heard of that one and it sound straight up gross to me, but I don't like hot dogs at all.  I guess maybe it's a sacrid meal of the worshipers of the Spaghetti monster?

I'm not a fan of hot dogs either (unless, as we've discussed before, they have hot dog sauce) but the thing from Wigu sounds temping. A hot dog in a taco shell with mac & cheese on top.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up