Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Cook Everything  (Read 34182 times)

0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2012, 04:29:32 pm »

I'm not a fan of hot dogs either (unless, as we've discussed before, they have hot dog sauce) but the thing from Wigu sounds temping. A hot dog in a taco shell with mac & cheese on top.

oh jesus
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2012, 04:36:34 pm »

the thing from Wigu sounds temping. A hot dog in a taco shell with mac & cheese on top.
yup

hot dog sauce
the fuck is that
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2012, 04:41:35 pm »

hot dog sauce
the fuck is that

I should've known better than to bring up hot dog sauce again. Think beanless chili. Popular in western PA and Coney Island.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2012, 05:03:02 pm »

Think beanless chili.

Oh no you di'int. Now we're going to get "all true chili is beanless" and all that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2012, 05:07:34 pm »

Oh no you di'int. Now we're going to get "all true chili is beanless" and all that.

While we're at it let just bring up pubes, removal of
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2012, 05:26:10 pm »

Take you some Hebrew Nationals (specific brand not required) e

Love me some Hebrew Nationals.  If I'm gonna splurge and eat hot dogs, it's damn sure gonna be the good ones.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2012, 05:27:44 pm »

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2012, 06:36:30 pm »

I'm liking the Paleo-Discussion, seriously. But I have to interrupt to report that the oldest boy made spaghetti hot dogs last night for dinner.

Take you some Hebrew Nationals (specific brand not required) and some whole wheat spaghettini, cut the dogs in 1.5" chunks and start driving spaghetti noodle through the chunks until they look like a sea urchin or caltrops or some such. Boil and sauce as usual and you wind up with the spaghetti cooked through the dog chunks and kinda all hanging together.

Anybody ever heard of this scene? It was good 'kid food' but it seemed like a lot of effort for the payoff.

I keep meaning to try this for Chaos Girl sometime, noodles and hot dogs are pretty much her two favorite things ever. (Well, that and blueberries.) Never gotten round to it yet, tho.

I'm not a fan of hot dogs either (unless, as we've discussed before, they have hot dog sauce) but the thing from Wigu sounds temping. A hot dog in a taco shell with mac & cheese on top.

New mission in life: gruffle that mess.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2012, 06:39:23 pm »

THIS. This is how I will be referring to this meal going forward unto eternity.

If you do, please, in your mind, spell sacred correctly okay?  Damn, I am so used to using Firefox that I don't even check spelling anymore.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2012, 05:07:57 am »

I should've known better than to bring up hot dog sauce again. Think beanless chili. Popular in western PA and Coney Island.

Is it like what they put on hot dogs and spaghetti in Cincinnati? Not only beanless but pretty soupy too?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2012, 08:25:23 pm »

Skyline Cincinnati Chili is pretty awesome. I take mine no less than a 5-Way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, onions, and beans + oyster crackers. I don't know why its retail availability is limited to a small area of the midwest. Like those special White Castle sauces that are only in certain cities.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2012, 08:43:42 pm »

Yeah, Skyline is good. Didn't know what to expect and I wouldn't eat it very often if I lived there, but it's good. Good enough that I go there every time I'm in Cincy.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2012, 10:24:39 pm »

Tonight: fresh PEI Mussels in Coconut Curry sauce.  Fuck yeah.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2012, 12:50:50 am »

Well that turned out well!  After two weeks in a row of purchasing meat from my local mega-grocer only to discover the chops rotten the next day when I went to prepare them, I decided to give up on the whole "buy all food in one place" method I've been using for years, so last week it was the butcher for the first legit time, and today it was the giraffe monger for the first time in ages. 

Cooking fresh, live mussels for the first time taught me a couple things:  1) restaurants rip me off totally to hell when it comes to mussels and 2) knowing I have just killed a bunch of creatures in order to eat really ups the value and savor factors for me. 

The Recipe:

Coconut-Curry Mussels

    Prep Time 25 minutes (20 mins to scrub mussels, 5 mins to cook)
    Total Time 25 minutes

Ingredients

    1 tablespoon butter
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger (from a 1 1/2-inch piece)
    1 can (13 1/2 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
    1 1/2 tablespoons green or yellow Thai curry paste
    2 to 3 pounds mussels, rinsed and scrubbed (discard any that do not close tight when rinsed and scrubbed)
    fresh lime juice to taste

Directions
1.   In a large pot with a lid, melt butter over medium-high. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Whisk in coconut milk and curry paste and bring to a simmer over high. Add mussels and stir to combine. Cover and reduce heat to medium-high. Cook until mussels open, 5 minutes, stirring once. (Discard unopened mussels). Remove pot from heat and stir in lime juice

Serve over rice.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2012, 01:43:47 am »

2) knowing I have just killed a bunch of creatures in order to eat really ups the value and savor factors for me. 
Explore, Chase, and Embrace this feeling. Massacring oysters one by one provides the satisfying use of cutlery, cracking sound, and the element of surprise.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up