Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Cook Everything  (Read 34269 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2012, 02:31:43 am »

Skyline is pretty much a local chain -- they're all over Louisville and Lexington.  Also a few GoldStar Chilis, which also offers Cincinnati style chili.  We go to Skyline fairly regularly.  It's good stuff and reasonably priced.  Personally I go for cheese coneys with mustard and onion.

Cincy chili is weird, the founders of both of those chains were Greek immigrants, and I think you can taste it in the spice mix they use.  It has more cinnamon than cumin in it. Whatever you call it, it tastes good.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2012, 05:28:32 am »

i grew up with skyline as a regular treat. my dad called it "skih-LEE-nay" because that's what dads do. chili cheese dog and a three-way, that's my order.

still, that chili dog doesn't compare to the best in the world at what used to be called "Dirty John's" or "John the Hot's" and is now known as "New Way Lunch" in my dad's hometown of Glens Falls, NY. it's about an hour north of albany and seriously JAYZUS FUCK those dogs are fanTAStic and everybody in the world needs to get there once to know what they've been missing their entire lives.

Mike, stop there next time you leave the city for upstate and prove me wrong. I DARE YOU.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2012, 09:39:18 am »

Well, I mean, I'm exiled by lack of funds again upstate right now but...

I used to go to the Glens Falls area once a summer to Great Escape Theme Park as a kid so I'm familiar with the area but...

I never heard of that one. Hafta try it out next time I'm up there.

I used to think of Glens Falls as mostly the hometown of Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Rachel Ray.

But now it is the hometown of Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Rachel Ray and Choop's dad.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2012, 04:09:58 pm »

In Northwest Ohio, we had Tony Packo's Hungarian-style chili dogs. (One of Toledo's two claims to fame; the other being Jamie Farr, whose character on M*A*S*H* occasionally got wistful for a Packo's dog.) For a while, my dad was running a little imports ring, bringing down jars of sweet hot pickles to the other teachers down here. One of the ladies confessed to being so addicted to the pickles that she was eating them for breakfast.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2012, 01:57:55 pm »

I had a Ben's Chili Bowl half-smoke with everything at the Nats game yesterday. Not something I do often, but every once in a while, one does what one has to do.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2012, 11:19:16 pm »

In Northwest Ohio, we had Tony Packo's Hungarian-style chili dogs.

I got halfway through that sentence before my brain went "oh, the place that Klinger loves and they had the cast of MASH come in and sign buns.

I've only had Cinci-style chili at Hard Times but based on that a Cinci 4-way with jalapenos is my favorite chili there is.

Mayor, despite living here since 1989 I still haven't been to Ben's.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2012, 11:38:30 pm »

I only finally made it to Ben's a couple years ago because I was assigned to write a newspaper story. And for the life of me I can't remember if I ate anything.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2012, 01:25:38 am »

I learned something amazing this morning.
PAM spray works a million times better than olive oil.
For years I have suffered with the splatter and inferior quality of olive oil as a lubricant for my pans. It was like a whole new world opened up to me. The eggs, they just slid around like they were floating on clouds. The clean up took seconds. No longer do I come home to a disgusting stove and oil splattered floors. Suddenly every pan is a teflon pan. Watching the eggs glide out of the pan onto my toast, my face was that of a new father watching a child be born. "This is fuck*ng amazing."

A bachelor takes another step out of the cradle...
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2012, 01:31:03 am »

 And olive oil has a low smoke point too.  Olive oil is for dressing/dipping
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2012, 01:39:23 am »

And olive oil has a low smoke point too.  Olive oil is for dressing/dipping
Yeah thanks for the advice Mr.Johnny Come Lately. I could have used that knowledge about 12 years ago.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2012, 01:59:20 am »

But do those eggs actually taste better with Pam than with olive oil?

Some things are worth suffering a little for, in my opinion.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2012, 02:18:27 am »

But do those eggs actually taste better with Pam than with olive oil?


Eggs cooked in butter taste even better. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2012, 03:03:09 am »

eggs cooked in bacon grease taste the best
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2012, 03:14:26 am »

Bacon grease is reserved for hiking trips where it is dripped on braided pepperoni bread.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2012, 04:23:25 am »

My old neighbor Walter liked to put bacon grease in his coffee in lieu of milk.

He lived well into his eighties despite drinking probably 15 Utica Club beers a day.

Good guy.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up