Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Cook Everything  (Read 34345 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2012, 05:42:47 am »

He lived well into his eighties despite due to drinking probably 15 Utica Club beers a day.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2012, 06:40:43 am »

Just don't put pam on your nonstick pans. This fucks them up. They develop this film of... dirtyness? Basically, the reason I had so many issues with dishes throughout college is that my old roommate put pam on all our nonstick pans. So I would scrub and scrub and they still felt weird and sticky and dirty.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2012, 07:44:08 am »

Y'all remember when I ate grits?

I recently tried Cinncinati Chili for the first time. I didn't realize it's not a stand alone dish, that it's meant to be served on top of a hot dog. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2012, 01:21:28 pm »

its not real cooking advice, but if you dont want diabetes, do not make instant chocolate pudding with chocolate milk.

ugh.  i am going to die soon.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2012, 01:47:50 pm »

Mayor, despite living here since 1989 I still haven't been to Ben's.

It took me quite a while too. Not a part of town I spend much time in. But one day a few years ago a co-worker and I said "We have to do this" and went up there for lunch. It's not that far from the 9:30 Club, too, so if you need post-show late-night munchies it's a good choice.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2012, 02:24:04 pm »

My old neighbor Walter liked to put bacon grease in his coffee in lieu of milk.

He lived well into his eighties despite drinking probably 15 Utica Club beers a day.

Good guy.

The bacon grease kept his arteries lubricated.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2012, 02:24:52 pm »


I recently tried Cinncinati Chili for the first time. I didn't realize it's not a stand alone dish, that it's meant to be served on top of a hot dog. 

Or spaghetti.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2012, 02:47:38 pm »

Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2012, 04:14:58 pm »

Or spaghetti.

Yeah, that too. I had it on top of a hot dog.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2012, 09:50:09 pm »

Okay, who has a good kale recipe for me? I've neither cooked nor eaten it before.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2012, 10:04:49 pm »

Kale is fuck*ng AWESOME.

Use it in salads instead of iceberg.

Steam it, eat it with sauteed onions and lemon juice.

We've been eating it around the house as snack food...

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-kale-chips/ - This one is pretty good...
http://www.food.com/recipe/nacho-kale-chips-461619
http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2011/08/cheezy-spicy-kale-chips-vegan.html
http://www.choosingraw.com/spicy-curry-kale-chipsraw-and-vegan/

You can also juice it.

KALE KALE KALE!

We eat a LOT of kale in my house, or as I said on twitter - "Kale, kale kale. Kale kale kale kale. Kale kale kale? Kale." - My Insufferable Girlfriend


Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2012, 10:45:00 pm »

Did you need a a TShirt, JL?

The only time I had kale it tasted like metallic, wet, garbage.

I am thinking abou making some sort of Mac and cheese and Brussel sprouts combo of my own invention tonight, with some pre-made salmon cakes as the protein.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:53:20 pm by Asherdan »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2012, 10:57:04 pm »

I eat kale sauteed with garlic and olive oil, but I eat everything sauteed with garlic and olive oil. In fact I guess that is my answer to "how to cook everything."


Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2012, 11:35:06 pm »

I eat kale sauteed with garlic and olive oil, but I eat everything sauteed with garlic and olive oil. In fact I guess that is my answer to "how to cook everything."


+1.

Tonight I realized at 4:30 that I had forgotten to get some meat out of the freezer for today's meal, so instead of the pork tenderloin I'd planned, I dug through the produce box (which comes home on Wednesdays) and my garden and made a light veggie-herb cream sauce to toss with some cheese tortellini. Here's what ended up going on:

Boil tortellini in mushroom broth (made from Better Than Boullion, which everybody should keep on hand at all times). Melt some butter in a big pan. Toss in some rosemary, sage, and thyme from the garden, ground into a paste with my mortar and pestle (a skill I've only just learned, but man oh man is it useful).

Chop up a leftover half of a sweet onion from last week's produce box and throw it in with the herbs and butter. Reach under the kitchen sink and harvest a handful of the world's freshest mushrooms from my mushroom log; slice them thin*. Throw them in the pan. Wash and trim half a pound of green beans from today's box (asparagus would have worked really well too); throw them in the pan. Salt and pepper everything. Deglaze the pan with sherry.

Drain the pasta, reserving liquid. Add half a cup of half&half and one cup of pasta liquid to the pan with the vegetable mixture. Bring to boil. Reduce until thick and creamy. Stir in tortellini and re-warm. Sprinkle with about a half cup of shredded Italian blend cheese and stir.

It was really phenomenally tasty; all the vegs and herbs were grown within 50 miles of my kitchen, and the freshness of everything gave each ingredient its own legs. I was pretty proud of myself for not giving up and ordering takeout, too. In the end, I was able to turn the Dinnertime Panic into something that looked like it belonged on the cover of Bon Appetit. Those green beans looked so nice against the backdrop of that creamy beige mushroom sauce. I would have taken a picture if I weren't afraid of being That Girl.

OK, I'm done bragging now. But holy moly, people. Why didn't anybody tell me about mushroom logs before? So. Amazing.

*I'm converted, BTW. I no longer peel my mushrooms; since I started growing my own, I wash those bitches. Who knew they came out of the ground so dirty?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2012, 11:55:59 pm »

Oh man, I want to cultivate mushrooms so bad, but I've got to wait until I move to a different house for that.  I'm interested though - yours are under your sink?  Not in your back yard?  WTF?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up