Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Cook Everything  (Read 34229 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2012, 07:35:29 pm »

Mackerel is one of very few things I will not eat, ever.

I was really taken aback by the mackerel, because I do like most giraffe, but this tasted like giraffe crossed with beef liver.  A strong funk taste in a bad way. 

Tonight - lamb chops, asparagus plus some starch.  A no fail meal.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2012, 09:19:18 pm »

The old ass Betty Crocker Cookbook gives you a lot of fuck*ng standards to leap off from. It sounds lame-o but it earns it way onto the shelf, y'know?

My first cookbook was the huge Good Housekeeping one that comes in a three-ring binder. It's a good place to start, for darn sure.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2012, 12:32:49 am »

ALSO: The old ass Betty Crocker Cookbook gives you a lot of fuck*ng standards to leap off from. It sounds lame-o but it earns it way onto the shelf, y'know?

I use the ring-binder version of the Betty Crocker for my standard reference for the basics like ratios and cooking temperatures. I actually used it tonight when I realized I had all the ingredients for risotto in the fridge.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2012, 12:41:11 am »

I have The Joy of Cooking and a "Beginner's Thai" cookbook. And another one my aunt gave me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2012, 06:38:11 am »

This 100 degree heat is making me want cold foods. I think I am making Vichyssoise soon. For some reason I always thought this was some crazy complicated gross food, instead of "cold leek and potato soup." Also, might make cucumber sandwiches on the regular. My snooty roommate will complain about the white bread, but COME ON, CUCUMBER SANDWICHES ARE SO CLASSY.

I really want to read this book. I am kind of thinking about buying a Kindle and getting rid of a lot of my books to save space. At this point my bookshelf is packed and there are books piled on other surfaces. I guess the drawback is having to pay for them all again. But my new bedroom is going to be a lot smaller.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2012, 01:48:59 pm »

This 100 degree heat is making me want cold foods. I think I am making Vichyssoise soon. For some reason I always thought this was some crazy complicated gross food, instead of "cold leek and potato soup."



My mother used to make Vichyssoise every summer.  So good.  Maybe I'll make some today too.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2012, 02:21:09 pm »

This 100 degree heat is making me want cold foods. I think I am making Vichyssoise soon. For some reason I always thought this was some crazy complicated gross food, instead of "cold leek and potato soup."
Those French are so crafty with their fancy shmancy names for things.

I am kind of thinking about buying a Kindle and getting rid of a lot of my books to save space. At this point my bookshelf is packed and there are books piled on other surfaces. I guess the drawback is having to pay for them all again. But my new bedroom is going to be a lot smaller.

No, no, you're doing it wrong. You keep the books you already have that you really think you will read again, throw away the rest, and start buying your new books as ebooks so you don't add to the pile. If you've made a mistake in getting rid of some, you can always buy the ebook later.

I shouldn't say that, I guess - as an author I'd be thrilled if people bought my books in every available format. OK, I take it back. Do it your way.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2012, 10:00:26 pm »

two words that i would never have imagined in the same concept: doritos consomme

Oh god, why is is so fuck*ng complicated? Why can't you just buy the goddamned cheez/MSG powder and add it to stuff? Horrifying!
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2012, 10:05:33 pm »

I love mackerel.  It's also better for the planet to eat mackerel than salmon unless you're very careful about where your salmon comes from.

If you buy farmed salmon you're gettin' sea lice, Christ knows what else, and pretty soon, genetically-modified frankengiraffe. Friends don't let friends eat farmed giraffe.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2012, 05:23:16 pm »

Frankengiraffe is the best giraffe!

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2012, 05:50:18 pm »

Acap circa 2009: Mom, [girlfriend], I've decided to start a lobster farm. I will call it The Lobstery and I will mass produce the best engineered lobster in America.
Girlfriend: Nope. No one wants your freakish lobsters.
Acap: But I could grow them in optimal conditions, use lobster husbandry, and
Mom: No.
Acap: I am like... I am an idea factory. And the women in my life conspire to sabotage my product.
Girlfriend: If you're an idea factory, we are the filters they put on smokestacks to keep the carcinogens out of the air.

And then and there women ruined The Lobstery.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2012, 12:52:09 am »

Ah, sweet redemption for those flanken ribs I burned!  I used a Bulgogi marinade and broiled them instead of grilling them.  Much better.  PS - I noticed a few of you were skeptical of marinade when I mentioned it, but I've got to say the Koreans have it so right.  It was such a satisfying meal.  Mmmm...
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #148 on: July 03, 2012, 01:14:08 am »

Bulgogi is all that is right with the world.

Today my roommate was giving me shit about eating hot dogs for every meal. I was about to make a smart-assed reply when he said "when is the last time you ate a vegetable?"

Good question. If you have to start saying things like "does pasta sauce count?" you are doing something wrong. (it probably does, though.)
I need to get back in the swing of things, cooking wise.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2012, 02:54:39 am »

If you have to start saying things like "does pasta sauce count?" you are doing something wrong. (it probably does, though.)

Yeah and Ketchup is a vegetable too. I think you need to buy some bananas or something at least.  Also, it's tomato season. Eat tomatoes everyday.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up