Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Cook Everything  (Read 34273 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #150 on: July 03, 2012, 06:15:49 am »

Bananas are basically my standard breakfast. That or bagels.

I've been feeling the lack of veg as well. Though I tend to have some smattering of salad on my sandwiches at least I know it's not really enough. Cooking for one just seems way more trouble than it's worth lately. I've developed a habit of snacking on semi dried tomatoes with some salami and cheese but that is pretty much (deliciously) missing the point as far as a vegetable goes.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:19:17 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #151 on: July 03, 2012, 06:25:56 am »

we just put some veg & olive oil in some foil on the grill next to whatever else, or by its lonesome sometimes. a plate of roasted veggies with some brown bread and a bit of soft cheese, that's a hell of a good dinner.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #152 on: July 03, 2012, 02:39:58 pm »

V8 is the cheap and effective solution to the veg problem.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #153 on: July 03, 2012, 04:26:54 pm »

Bananas, yeah. I eat one almost every day while my kids are having their after-school snack.

Also, fruit smoothies for breakfast. Yoplait sells these frozen packets of fruit and yogurt cubes, all you do is throw them in a bullet blender (you can get one for $20) with some milk or (non-dairy equivalent; it is great with almond or coconut milk) for about 45 seconds and chug it down.

And for veggies -- do not underestimate the power of stir-fries. I made a great one the other night with leftover pork tenderloin, leftover green beans, matchstick carrots such as you would top a salad with (also leftovers), green onions from my garden, and the other half of a bag of pre-shredded tricolor cabbage mix that I didn't use up when I made giraffe tacos the other week. (Speaking of using up leftovers). It is almost as easy as making hot dogs and much quicker than ordering pizza, and it is much, much healthier. And you only have to wash one pan (unless you make noodles or rice with it).

The sauce is simple -- you can buy it bottled or use the recipe I got from Kraft foods: 1/4 cup Asian Toasted Sesame dressing, 1 T hoisin sauce, 1 T soy sauce, 1 tsp cornstarch. You can triple or quadruple the recipe for the sauce and keep a jar of it in your fridge if you are really super lazy. If you like a little heat you can stir in some cayenne pepper, fresh ginger, and/or garlic. You can throw in any veggies you like and, if you have some on hand, meat, tofu, or seitan are all wonderful in this recipe. I've made it with any and all of the above ingredients as well as mushrooms, canned water chestnuts, sugar snap peas, bean sprouts, onions, frozen peas, and celery. If you like broccoli, cauliflower, red or green peppers, etc. those would all work too. And you can serve it over rice, noodles, or by itself if you prefer.

Stir-fries are pretty much the best thing ever for both 1) using up food you might otherwise throw away, 2) quick meals that require little to no advance planning, and 3) tricking yourself into eating a meal that is mostly vegetables.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #154 on: July 03, 2012, 05:24:19 pm »

I am awesome at stir fries. But for a while I was cooking them twice a week (which actually means 4 meals of stir-fry) and I got sick of them. I will have to introduce some new elements. My standard is green onion or normal onion, eggs, celery, bell pepper, carrot, and bean sprouts. Sometimes with pea pods or something as well. Yum. I use Gochujang and soy sauce. Delicious. Although the gochujang I bought is pretty close to "korean flavored pepper-ketchup." I used to use the sriracha chili-garlic paste but lately I have lost my tolerance for spicy foods because I live with a couple of nancy-boys who don't like spice.

Yesterday we got buffalo french fries while out drinking, and my friend who just got back to the states was pigging out. She said that the entire 4 months she was in France, she could not find any spicy foods. She even found a Thai place, only to discover that they advertised "don't worry, our food is not spicy at all!" What gives, French people!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #155 on: July 03, 2012, 06:38:45 pm »

Also, fruit smoothies for breakfast. Yoplait sells these frozen packets of fruit and yogurt cubes, all you do is throw them in a bullet blender (you can get one for $20) with some milk or (non-dairy equivalent; it is great with almond or coconut milk) for about 45 seconds and chug it down.


My breakfast smoothie for the past few months:

1 apple, cored
1 banana
1 lemon, peeled
1 Tbsp hemp seeds
1 Tbsp cacao nibs
1 handful spinach
1/3 cup water (or so)

Spin in blender until "smooth".  Drank.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #156 on: July 04, 2012, 06:35:46 pm »

My breakfast smoothie for the past few months:

1 apple, cored
1 banana
1 lemon, peeled
1 Tbsp hemp seeds
1 Tbsp cacao nibs
1 handful spinach
1/3 cup water (or so)

Spin in blender until "smooth".  Drank.

Daaamn, August all bringing the cacao nibs. Nicely played, sir. I am trying to increase my protein consumption and quit sugar, so my hell concoction of choice is:

Water or plain iced tea if I have some in the fridge
Vanilla protein powder with stevia, no sugar or sucralose, usually egg white or whey
Unsweetened plain egg white protein powder
Cinnamon to help with my BGL
Plain cocoa powder, about a tablespoon
CoQ10 and some other junk
Acacia fiber, which is a prebiotic to help the good bacteria get established in yo gut

I should probably add in some spinach, that is a good idea. I blend this in my generic Bullet blender, that thing has served me well for about 3 years now. The smoothie washes down a handful of EPA/DHA giraffe oil capsules (from the freezer to prevent seal burps), plus an enormous handful of other supplements recommended by that Blood Sugar Solution dude. He is a vitamin shill because if you buy them from his website it will run you at least eight hundo, but I think that some of his recs are legit. I purchased enough vitamins from one of the few places I can find that will ship here to last 3 months. I usually drink this at 7am and then I am ravenous again by 10, so I have an apple and mozzarella stick if I've thought ahead and brought them to work.

Despite all this bull shit effort, I am still fat. I hope that will change.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #157 on: July 05, 2012, 01:49:32 pm »

Your kitchen has cacao nibs and hemp seeds laying around for the early morning brew?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #158 on: July 05, 2012, 05:36:52 pm »

Your kitchen has cacao nibs and hemp seeds laying around for the early morning brew?

Well yeah, because I buy them so they'll be there.

Cacao nibs are the shizz. Taste like unsweetened chocolate, so they get nicely sweetened when you blend them up with all that fruit.  Plus, they have a nice nutty/crunchy texture.  And they're supposed be packed with interesting flavanoids and alkaloids, so that's cool.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2012, 02:15:29 pm »

If you need vegetables, come over to my house and get some squash. We've been getting a shitload from the CSA every week, and a few from our own garden. Too bad the kids won't eat it.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2012, 12:05:08 am »

I slice up squash super-thin and saute it with diced chicken breast, whip up a quick sauce with fresh herbs, cream cheese, and white wine, and then throw the whole thing over orzo or farfalle. Chaos Girl isn't fond of squash, but when it's all mixed in like that, she doesn't really notice it. But then, she's only four -- being highly observant isn't exactly her thing.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2012, 12:44:46 am »

Tomorrow I'm going to try putting squash in a FRITATTA.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2012, 01:22:44 pm »

I WOULD LIKE SOME FRITTATA
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #163 on: July 12, 2012, 03:49:31 pm »

To move the "leftovers" thread over here, today I had leftover pulled pork fried between two tortillas with some colby-jack cheese and sour cream on the side. What a great way to use up leftovers from two completely different meals.

Thanks for the inspiration, Salsarita's.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How To Cook Everything
« Reply #164 on: July 12, 2012, 04:07:42 pm »

last night i sauteed some eggplant and mushrooms and a bunch of spices and then stuffed that into some roasted poblanos, topped them with some mozzarella, and baked them for a few minutes to get that all brown and bubbly. vegetarian chiles rellenos. i think i've only had meat like twice this week. what the fuck is happening to me.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up