Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.  (Read 10607 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 08:21:44 pm »


But don't go see Oingo Boingo because if wombat can't neither can you.

But I saw them heaps of times.......whoops, sorry Wombat.

I also saw Sublime, inadvertently as it happens.  It was one of these package shows radio stations do and I went to see Chris Isaak and Elastica.  They didn't want to play Date Rape (which was their only radio tune at that time) because 'you could just turn on the radio to hear that'.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 10:23:05 pm »

I fell in with a bad crowd at an impressionable age!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 08:02:02 pm »

I know I'm late as hell (as always) but my excuse is that the internet is always a year late in Alaska.

Did everyone see Fight For Your Right (Revisited)?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2012, 12:26:38 am »

I know I'm late as hell (as always) but my excuse is that the internet is always a year late in Alaska.

Did everyone see Fight For Your Right (Revisited)?

They e-mailed me a copy with the last album but I haven't yet to actually watch it. I always see the half-hour run-time and decide to do something else instead.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 01:04:25 am »

I believe MCA directed it. It's really worth watching, I think. Hell, how much time do you spend here in a week?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 03:50:21 am »

Man, I could have gone to see P-Funk for free last week, but I couldn't get anybody to go with me and I wimped out because I was "tired".  Stupid me.

I skipped them when I was in Seattle couple months ago because I was "sick." I've already seen them twice. Although it absolutely won't be the same without Gary Shidder. But I'll see them again if I get the opportunity.

In fact, you know what I would kill for maybe more than any concert? A Funkadelic show from the early 70s. This one, for example. I'm not sure if the album contains the entire setlist, but the only thing missing is Can You Get to That. Add that and it's a perfect show. Holy shit, to see Eddie Hazel.

I take issue with Ash including G n R and No Doubt - they have to make other people jealous, not embarrassed for you.

If he saw G n R on the club circuit in like '86, or even when they were touring behind Appetite for Destruction, I say it counts.

i saw nirvana. halloween '93, the meat puppets opened and the first act was a japanese chick-rock band that was not named shonen knife. fuck*ng incredible.

Oh my god. This one so far makes me the most jealous. Replace the japanese chick-rock band with a very young Built to Spill, throw in Mudhoney and Pavement, and you have the ultimate early 90s concert.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2012, 02:23:11 pm »

Ooh, I thought of another good one. I saw Jeff Buckley. Not once, but twice.

I may have told this story already, but what the hell. The first time I saw him (both shows were at the old 9:30 Club in DC), he hadn't blown up on local alternative radio yet, but people who knew good music knew him, so the club was pretty crowded. He did "Hallelujah" by himself, voice and guitar, let the rest of the band have a break. And during one pause in the song, that club was dead freaking silent. No idle chatter, no clinking of glasses, just every single person there utterly riveted. It's perhaps the most amazing moment of any concert I've ever been to. It just took my breath away.

I saw him again six months later after he'd become more popular. That same moment was marred by idiots going "WHOOOOOOOO!"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2012, 04:43:24 pm »

You didn't actually watch the Great White portion, did you? (I guess if you had, you wouldn't be here now.)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2012, 05:31:41 pm »

when mrs. worked at a theater in clearwater, we saw willie nelson and (separately) stephen wright. both great shows, hard to say which was better
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2012, 05:50:08 pm »

I blame living in Alaska for my shocking lack of awesome concert experiences.



My first concert was the Scorpions, and we were happy to have them!

/Grandpa Simpson
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2012, 06:22:33 pm »

I hung out with Willie Nelson once outside his tour bus after a show while dude sat on a stool and visited and signed for fans until everyone of them was gone.

Dude didn't need to sit in a parking lot for an hour doing that, but he did as a regular thing.

Kenny Rogers, on the other hand, jumped in the limo and was driven through scads of fans, shoving them to the side of the road, he was in such a hurry to get out. He didn't pop a window or wave or nothing, either.

Maybe he was in a hurry to go get some yardbird.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2012, 07:09:23 pm »

You gotta know when to walk away, know when to run.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2012, 08:08:21 pm »

I have only been to a handful of concerts ever, but I did see George Thorogood open for the Steve Miller Band back in '98 or '99, somewhere around there. They're both still touring but it was pretty awesome to see them together.

I've also seen Rush twice, but that's one of those "love 'em or hate 'em bands" so who knows what that's worth. And of course the recent shows have been nerdcore, TMBG, and Weird Al. What a great performer Al is -- that's going to be one that people ought to be jealous of in 30 years or so, whether they actually are or not.

I saw Alanis Morisette back in the day because a friend broke up with his girlfriend a few weeks before the show, so he gave the tix to us instead. I'm not proud of that one.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2012, 08:17:24 pm »

i saw nirvana. halloween '93, the meat puppets opened and the first act was a japanese chick-rock band that was not named shonen knife. fuck*ng incredible.

found it: boredoms
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: MCA, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died.
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2012, 09:51:54 pm »

I certainly know that I've discussed this before (and I will again and again) but I've played with Sam Henry.

Also, I saw George Thorogood a couple of years after Bad to the Bone came out. I didn't know until today that Ian Stewart appeared on that record. He certainly wasn't at the show I saw.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up