Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Yo mama's so crass and low, she puts chocolate pieces into her mouth while she is still chewing up the previous chocolate pieces.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixdisc 2012  (Read 10630 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Mixdisc 2012
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 03:32:40 pm »

Wombat's pugs rock out on their purloined Shuffles when no one is home.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:41:15 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Mixdisc 2012
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 03:18:19 am »

August, Wombat, did you receive your disc?

Got 'em today!  They look great!  Give me a chance to listen and I'll post feedback.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mixdisc 2012
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2012, 08:50:44 pm »

This has me committing ethical and moral heiniosities.

Holy crap, we've needed something like that for a long time.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mixdisc 2012
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2012, 11:26:01 pm »

Got 'em today!  They look great!  Give me a chance to listen and I'll post feedback.

Along with vol. 5 and 11 I also included vol. 12 because they are a trilogy of sorts. Vol. 5 is good songs that I listened to as a child. My mother has very good taste in music. Vol. 11 is a playlist of songs that I dug when I was a teenager, hence the name. It's a bit of a red herring because there's no Steely Dan on there. You'll find the Dan on Vol. 12, which is songs that I liked when I was a tween. even though we didn't have such as tweens when I was that age.

That mix, vol. 12 was inspired by a remembrance from that time period.  I spent most Friday nights at Little York Lanes, a bowling alley. That's where I developed my love of pinball by the way, which is poignant because as soon as I finish this post I am going to leave for the Annual pinball expo. My folks bowled in a league on Fridays and we kids ran wild in and out of the alleys. For awhile there was a heavy equipment storage yard next door to the alley. Once or twice a friend and I would go snooping around over there. We climbed inside the machinery and pretended to be soldiers (I hadn't discovered super heroes yet).

One night we climbed inside of a huge front end loader/shovel machine and discovered the key was in it. I turned the key on and nothing happened. Then I discovered the starter button. I pushed it and the machine fired right up. We were smart enough, or lucky enough that we didn't push it into gear because we surely would not have known how to push it out of gear and would have crashed. But we did move the shovel up and down.

That memory has nothing to do with music, but one memory led me to another. Right across the street from the bowling alley was a Globe Department Store and that's where I bought my first records. I don't remember which one was the very first, but among them was Rikki Don't Lose That Number by Steely Dan, Keep on Smiling by Wet Willie, Brother Louie by Stories... So when I put together the mix I decided to Focus on songs from that period for the most part.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:29:44 pm by pmcd9 »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
An Hegelian Analysis of the Three Mixdiscs Paul Sent Me.
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 07:58:11 pm »

By Your Pal August

Hegel said Thesis + Antithesis = Synthesis, right?  That's what we have here.

I'm not sure which is thesis and which is antithesis, but the first two mixes represent the two opposing sides of Paul's musical heritage.  They combine to produce his mature musical taste as represented in the third mix.

Mix #5, Songs my Mama Taught me to Love, is pretty.  Mostly softer, fluffier songs with lovely vocal harmonies.  Perhaps a little overly sweet, as you can only expect from Mama music.  There's a little bit of comedy in there, but it's light-hearted, kid friendly parody.  Overall, nice to listen to, but not an edge to be found throughout.

Mix #11, Hey Nineteen, on the the other hand, is all edges.  Metal.  Stadium Rock.  Lust, anger and testosterone.  Even the comedy bits are hard-edged and sexually charged.  Mama don't allow no mixdiscs like this 'round here.

Finally, the synthesis of the two extremes, Mix #12, A Squonk's Tears, represents the best of both worlds.  There's some sweet music, but there's a spine underneath.  There's some stuff that rocks, but the overblown swagger is replaced with knowing musical maturity.  There's solo songs from all four Beatles!  Utopia!  All kinds of great stuff.

Verrrry Nice, Paul.  Very Nice.

Printed out my liner notes today, will be dropping discs in the mail tomorrow.  Please PM me an up to date address if it's changed.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mixdisc 2012
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 04:05:20 am »

Thanks August, that was a sweet review. If there's one thing my Mother loves it's good singing. I would have included Queen in that mix because she loves Freddy Mercury, but I turned her on to Queen, not the other way around.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Mixdisc 2012
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 09:03:44 pm »

At long last, I have completed the 2012 bigfool.com year-end mix CD, "Destructo-Wagon."

1. Divine Fits “Would That Not Be Nice”
2. Tennis ”Origins”
3. Freelance Whales “Spitting Image”
4. Fly Moon Royalty “The Birthday Song”
5. Hot Chip “Let Me Be Him”
6. The Roots, "Lighthouse"
7. JD McPherson “North Side Gal”
8. Father John Misty “Only Son of the Ladies Man”
9. Cold Specks, “Winter Solstice”
10. Pinback “Proceed to Memory”
11. Line & Circle “Roman Ruins”
12. The Gaslight Anthem, “Desire”
13. The Decemberists “This is Why We Fight”
14. Avett Brothers “February Seven”
15. The Head and the Heart “Down in the Valley”
16. Elliott Brood “If I Get Old”
17. Band of hosss “Electric Music”
18. Silversun Pickups “Mean Spirits”
19. Japandroids “Continuous Thunder”

Spotify playlist: http://t.co/hI4Izkzi

Download (complete with cover art):
ftp.bigfool.com
user name: bigfoo_guest
password: R0X0rz!

Want to swap one of your discs for a physical copy? Lemmee know.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Mixdisc 2012
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 02:11:51 am »

Thanks Mayor, I always like these.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mixdisc 2012
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 03:48:58 am »

Damn and hell yes!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mixdisc 2012
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2012, 08:43:03 am »

At long last, I have completed the 2012 bigfool.com year-end mix CD, "Destructo-Wagon."

1. Divine Fits “Would That Not Be Nice”
2. Tennis ”Origins”
3. Freelance Whales “Spitting Image”
4. Fly Moon Royalty “The Birthday Song”
5. Hot Chip “Let Me Be Him”
6. The Roots, "Lighthouse"
7. JD McPherson “North Side Gal”
8. Father John Misty “Only Son of the Ladies Man”
9. Cold Specks, “Winter Solstice”
10. Pinback “Proceed to Memory”
11. Line & Circle “Roman Ruins”
12. The Gaslight Anthem, “Desire”
13. The Decemberists “This is Why We Fight”
14. Avett Brothers “February Seven”
15. The Head and the Heart “Down in the Valley”
16. Elliott Brood “If I Get Old”
17. Band of hosss “Electric Music”
18. Silversun Pickups “Mean Spirits”
19. Japandroids “Continuous Thunder”

Heck of a fine mix!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mixdisc 2012
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 03:11:55 am »

It's taken more than 120 days for Side Show to gestate a kick ass mixdisc! She drew a picture of a beaver on the disc. Classy. Sure had a hard time figuring out your hand writing. In almost every case I had to check against google, but I got it.

Thanks for the mix. It's really cool!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up