Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Goals and Resolutions 2013  (Read 17581 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Goals and Resolutions 2013
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2013, 09:34:32 pm »

I mean my remark about that being a great idea for a thread.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Goals and Resolutions 2013
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2013, 10:00:09 pm »

I'm deaf and need a respirator to sleep at night.  At least I'm better looking than Ash.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Goals and Resolutions 2013
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2013, 09:29:13 pm »

I still haven't gotten to the part where I throw out all my stuff. Anybody got any motivation they aren't using, which I could borrow for a bit just until I have a clean apartment and a trashbag full of goodwill clothing?
Logged
[expletive deleted]

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Goals and Resolutions 2013
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2013, 09:36:54 pm »

Just ask yourself what does this contribute to my life. When the answer comes back nothing, toss it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Goals and Resolutions 2013
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2013, 11:35:01 pm »

Problem is I can think of reasons not to throw out a ton of stuff based on it's 'art project' potential, or usefulness in 'seasonal actiivities'. I have pretty strong seasons in New England, so my summer stuff and winter stuff are pretty discreet. I have stuff I haven't used in years, but still keep around for emergencies and what.

Okay that paragraph was all excuses and bullshit, I'm getting on this this weekend. Fuck superbowls, I'm cleaning house!
Logged
[expletive deleted]

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Goals and Resolutions 2013
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2013, 01:07:58 am »

This one works on me:

Am I realistically likely to use this in the *near* future? If I think so, I look at my calendar and set aside a day to do the project.

If I can't find the time, I ask, "Could someone else gain benefit from this item?" If so, it's selgiraffe of me to hoard it & keep it from someone who will put it to good use.

If not...it's trash. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Goals and Resolutions 2013
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2013, 02:51:54 am »

Sort of a short term goal met today:

MILES RUN IN ONE MONTH

Previous record: November 2012 -- 56.4

New record: January 2013 -- 80.3

Blew that mother away by almost 50%.


I also have been thinking about longer term, annual/life goals lately.  As usual I'm running a little bit late.  I need to decide on some new habits to cultivate.  Should be developments soon -- I hope they're interesting and productive.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Goals and Resolutions 2013
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2013, 07:38:54 pm »

Nice job!

I've been sticking with my increased mileage and am starting to dig it.

Good luck with the cruft removal Doomies.

Do you use any kind of run tracker?  Cause it's a motivator, plus it's a cool high-tech GPS space radar thingy, so it's got that going for it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Goals and Resolutions 2013
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2013, 03:04:28 pm »

For the last several months I've swapped between an elliptical machine and a treadmill so I haven't used any of the phone apps. If I go back to the trails, I'd take a shot at the one you use, the feature set seems pretty cool, what with the mapping and the reporting aspects.

I do push myself with distance/speed/heart rate goals, with the modern machinery it's all right there on the display in front of me with no where to hide.

The constant numbers on the machines are motivating, but nothing beats a big impressive map of YOU DID THIS.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Goals and Resolutions 2013
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2013, 03:26:05 pm »

The constant numbers on the machines are motivating, but nothing beats a big impressive map of YOU DID THIS.

Yes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Goals and Resolutions 2013
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2013, 03:56:04 pm »

Agreed re: maps. I also usually run the same set of trails, and I enjoy watching the time it takes me to run X trail drop incrementally. Going from the 1-mile loop in 30 minutes to the 1.4 mile loop in the same amount of time (at the same park; they overlap) and then, eventually, being able to go back to the 1-mile and do it twice -- that is pretty cool.

I'm almost there -- I can do a 17-minute mile (that's mostly walking with sprint drills in the middle), but the training program I'm on has me doing heel lifts between sprints so that's nerfing my mileage a bit.

Soon: the 1.4 mile loop, twice in under half an hour. That'll put me right around a 15-minute mile on average, those sprints are going to get longer and the walk period in between is going to get shorter. Ultimately I'll want to do the 1-mile loop 3x in half an hour, while will have me on track to do a full 5K without walking.

Dangit. This should go in the running thread, shouldn't it?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Goals and Resolutions 2013
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2013, 04:46:14 pm »


Ultimately I'll want to do the 1-mile loop 3x in half an hour, while will have me on track to do a full 5K without walking.


That would be three 10 minute miles, or about a 31 minute 5K.  Keep it up and you'll get there no problem.  I would suggest working on running one full loop, then gradually ramping up to increase the distance you run -- i.e, after you can run one loop without walking, try running a loop and a quarter for a week.  Then a loop and a half, et cetera, et cetera. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Goals and Resolutions 2013
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2013, 06:44:04 pm »

Dangit. This should go in the running thread, shouldn't it?

Yes, and could you make sure you keep that thread on topic so I don't have to check it?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Goals and Resolutions 2013
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2013, 05:24:07 am »

Yes, and could you make sure you keep that thread on topic so I don't have to check it?

I think some kind of on/off topic meter for each thread would be really useful.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Goals and Resolutions 2013
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2013, 02:36:38 pm »

Today I dropped my 19th pound since Jan. 5th.

Yay, congratulations! Your steady success is encouraging.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up