Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle  (Read 12547 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« on: January 04, 2013, 09:06:21 pm »

My roommates' band is described as "from the food deserts of McRee Town, South St. Louis" on the site selling their tape.
We do not live in that neighborhood, and that whole statement makes me feel a little gross. They say they don't know why they are described that way.

I guess "a bunch of washU grads from the lush gardens of Shaw" doesn't sound very rock and roll.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 11:12:31 pm »

Wait. Are they really selling a tape?

I've got a great Wilco bootleg where Tweety says "Our new album is only going to be released as sheet music."
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 12:24:20 am »

You know Beck just actually did that.

The remark is cute, actually doing it is unbearably pretentious.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 01:00:29 am »

Yeah, their basement-recorded EP is available as a tape or online for free. "Real" album will be on something normal. Probably cd and vinyl.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 01:45:05 pm »

Yeah, their basement-recorded EP is available as a tape or online for free. "Real" album will be on something normal. Probably cd and vinyl.

Do they get offended when people call them insufferably pretentious?  Or is there a non-pretentious reason to release music on a cassette that I'm missing?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 03:20:02 pm »

Oh, I guess you could do a cassette release not for reasons of pretense so much as...

Uhm...

Uhm...

A whimsical way to get a few more bucks out of a fan who is a completist collector?

That is the furthest I could get from pretense and it is still a little cynical.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 04:27:23 pm »

It is still better than releasing your album as sheet music. Did no one read my last post?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 05:41:09 pm »

I do not really get what is "pretentious" about releasing their album on a cassette. Silly? Yes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 06:41:46 pm »

It is like "only a TRUE ENTHUSIAST who owns ANTIQUATED FORMAT PLAYERS for things only released on that format can LISTEN TO THIS", Dan.

That is the apprentice of pretense.

Down that road lay releasing on wax cylinder.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 07:23:24 pm »

actually, no. Because it is available for free online. And most cars have a tape player.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 09:18:14 pm »

I'm pretty sure cars aren't sold with tape players anymore. I think when I bought my car ten years ago was about the last time they came with a tape player instead of a CD player.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 09:50:20 pm »

I have a tape player in my car and have a tape w rem murmer and another w the black lips 200 million thousand.  They are awesome and releasing shit on tape is something of a tradition.  I guess if lfm doesn't get it it is only for hipsters, but like, the world is a big place with lots of shit happening.  Also, the people listening to underground punk bands I'm sure have a lot more in common with wombat and lfm than inev and I.  They are also the demographic with the newest cars!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 10:16:50 pm »

Ahhhhhh, I'm actually just playing Devil's Advocate to razz the 'Nev on this one.

I have friends who've done the cassette release as a limited run alongside a more conventional release, as a laugh.

I mean, hell, if I ever self-published a comic book that wasn't just a Kinko-copied mini, I'd look into having friends record a themesong and then print up flexidiscs as a throw-in.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 02:59:32 am »

Both our cars have both tape and CD players. We use the tape players to plug in our iPhones; it's more reliable than those FM transmitter thingies.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 06:35:49 pm »

Why is it pretentious?    It's a pointless thing to do which is done solely for ironic effect.

Is the sound quality better on a cassette?  No.
Are cassettes more convenient, cheaper, or safer to use?  No.
Do the vast majority of potential listeners use cassettes on a regular basis, or even have the facilities to?  No.

There is utterly no practical reason to release new music on a cassette.  It's a way of saying "Hey, I'm hip, I'm in on the joke."  Pretense.

Fine, Keith and Inev, you get and appreciate the little inside joke.  But it's still just a little inside joke, isn't it?

Beside, all the really cool bands are releasing their music on wax cylinders these days.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up