Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle  (Read 12522 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 06:46:49 pm »

you need to learn how to have fun. I feel like you are taking this a lot more seriously than the people who made this thing are.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 11:33:43 pm »

Man, we were on such a long streak of not having this argument. Come on guys.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 12:12:25 am »

is it also available on cd? because if so argument nullified. i think purchasing on tape is more pretentious than releasing on tape, if a cd is also available, but releasing only on tape would be more pretentious than purchasing said tape. considering it's also available digitally, they probably aren't looking to sell too many tapes. that's my guess.

the other night at best buy, the dude in front of us in line bought like six CDs. i couldn't believe a dude had gone to a store to buy CDs. i mean, download the singles you like, or the album you're looking for, or at least order that shit on amazon - there's almost zero reason to buy music on CD at an actual store any more.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 01:01:05 am »

I seriously don't get where this pretentious bullshit is coming from.  I think no one here has any fuck*ng clue about what they are talking about.

Ahhhhhh, I'm actually just playing Devil's Advocate to razz the 'Nev on this one.

I have friends who've done the cassette release as a limited run alongside a more conventional release, as a laugh.

I mean, hell, if I ever self-published a comic book that wasn't just a Kinko-copied mini, I'd look into having friends record a themesong and then print up flexidiscs as a throw-in.

I don't know why, but this is one of the most angering thing I have ever read??  My only response is to try unsuccessfully to find that scene of the Simpsons where Homer is talking about not understanding what was happening at the record store he went to.  It's from Homerpalooza.

Homer: I was in a record store, and they were playing all these bands I'd never heard of. It was like the store had gone crazy.
Marge: Record stores have always seemed crazy to me. Music is none of my business.
Homer: That's all well and good for you, but I used to rock and roll all night and party every day. Then it was every other day... now I'm lucky to find half an hour a week in which to get funky. I've got to get out of this rut and back into the groove.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 01:55:55 am »

I think you guys are trying to give me practice not caring what people think. I don't know if I've quite gotten it yet, because I keep starting to type responses to your thoughts. Regardless, it is appreciated.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 02:47:26 am »

Marge: Record stores have always seemed crazy to me. Music is none of my business.
Homer: That's all well and good for you, but I used to rock and roll all night and party every day. Then it was every other day... now I'm lucky to find half an hour a week in which to get funky.

As the kids today say, LOL.

Ash is right, you know. Someday they'll be beaming the music directly into our brains and Inev will be all, the indie bands are so pretentious releasing their music as mp3 downloads. It's gonna happen. It's the circle of life.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 02:59:53 am »

I seriously don't get where this pretentious bullshit is coming from.  I think no one here has any fuck*ng clue about what they are talking about.


So why don't you explain it in nice short words. What non-ironic purpose is there for releasing music on cassette in this day and age? 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 03:05:08 am »

i love how ash and auggie have leveled up so far that they've just gone ahead and evolved into old fogeys
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 03:23:28 am »

It is the cheapest way to get a properly packaged item to sell at your shows.

Shows full of people who probably have access to cassette players and who will probably download your shit for free if they don't have something to buy.  Honestly, if I buy a cd at a show it is generally just to support the band, not because I actually want the cd.  It is far far easier for me to download a copy of that.  I prefer to buy vinyls or tapes at shows for that reason.  I will only buy the cd if there is nothing else and I REALLY like the band.  This has happened once.  I have bought a cassette once.  I have bought vinyls 50 ish times.  I literally never opened the cd.  I played the vinyls probably 2-10 times each.  I play the shit out of that black lips tape.

I have access to exactly one cd player- in my computer.  I would only use this to rip a really hard to find cd.  I have access to 3 cassette players (that I also barely use, to be fair-except in car to run mp3 tape thing).  I am the target market, not you old fucks.  For various reasons (mp3 players mainly, mixed with the fact you can use those with any audio system with an aux jack and a lot of old, absolutely fine audio systems with cassette players and aux jacks available cheaply cause you old people gave that shit away to get cd players as you were fuck*ng up the economy for my generation.) cassette players are easier to find than cd players among people in their mid 20s who care about music. 


Now please stop saying the cheapest, easiest way to do things is pretentious.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 03:33:50 am »

It is the cheapest way to get a properly packaged item to sell at your shows.


Bull. 

Shit.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 03:37:59 am »

I don't know man, I am pretty sure that is true.  I know exactly one band who has released something on tape, I can't remember what she said.  Maybe it is more expensive than cds?  It is definitely cheaper than vinyls though.  So, whether or not that is true, which, yeah, I am pretty sure it is, it is the cheapest way to produce something their target market will buy, so

fuck

off.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 03:40:35 am »

Oh, and then they got more fans/made more money and released a vinyl because they could afford to and that is another thing that people in their demographic will buy.  I saw a properly bought cd that was being used for the first time in years within the last few weeks.  It was a Rhinna cd that a girl who doesn't give a shit about the bands that inev and I might like had.  I also have a shit load of friends who are really into music.  Those are the people I spend most of my time with and don't see use cds.  Like literally ever.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 03:50:43 am »

Okay, so it is cheaper to produce yourself than cds for sure and I haven't been able to find whether or not cheaper to have someone else produce.


Also, seriously, no one/very few are building up tape collections, but, at least from my perspective (as, again, pretty close to the exact demographic they are trying to reach) I would rather have that than a cd, by like 200 million thousand fuck*ng percent.  I would rather have the mp3 and add the vinyl if I really like it, but like, make money selling mp3s at yer shows.  Go ahead and do it.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 04:02:30 am »

Keith, I can only assume you are correct about the target market, but you have to understand that this is flabbergasting to people who had no choice but to buy vinyl records and cassettes because that's all that existed, and couldn't have been more thrilled to give them up for less sucky formats that don't take up so much space, are less easily damaged, have better sound quality, etc. Even thinking about cassettes is like a bad flashback - there isn't even random access.  I am also surprised about the availabliity of old cassette players that us old fucks gave away, because every cassette player I have ever owned broke long before I could give it away to anyone, another reason why the format sucked. It completely boggles my mind that anyone would use cassettes on purpose now that there is an equally portable alternative. This is why you are encountering such disbelief.

I should say I don't buy CDs anymore either, except when I come across a Japanese band that doesn't have any downloads to buy and am stuck with it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 04:06:12 am »

Okay, so it is cheaper to produce yourself than cds for sure and I haven't been able to find whether or not cheaper to have someone else produce.

Curious about what you're counting as "produce it yourself" for cassettes. As I recall it, copying cassettes is a painfully tedious process compared to copying CDs. So it maybe depends what your time is worth to you.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up