Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle  (Read 12517 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2013, 10:18:23 pm »

I can get my Amazon stuff onto any device that can get on the internet. I don't know how that differs from how iTunes does it though, I don't have any Apple stuff.

I have to say I sort of miss the printed CD inserts. But I don't miss not being able to find the CD I want among the dozens (or hundreds if I include the Tech Staff's stuff) that are all over the house.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2013, 10:25:27 pm »

Can't you have Itunes import a stand-alone mp3?  I thought I had done this a while back, but maybe it was something else.

Yes, but AFAIK you can't store it in the cloud once you've imported it, so you have to transfer it manually.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2013, 11:03:23 pm »

i care so little about purchasing music that i only listen to pandora and grooveshark.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2013, 12:50:44 am »

I think iTunes was pretty heinous about DRM back in the day and were also super expensive. I use Amazon and have had no troubles so far.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2013, 01:06:47 am »

Their cloud, their rules I guess.  Its just another opportunity for Google to eat their lunch though.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2013, 02:26:27 am »

soulseek for piracy.  amazon for legit purchasing if its not available to steal.  i am a music-stealing prick.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2013, 04:35:22 am »

I try my damnedest to only pirate things that there are no legitimate ways to easily obtain.

If it's something that's out of print and 300 dollars on the secondary market or if it's just so obscure that there's no way to get it or, y'know, it's a bootleg live thing or a demo or something that's leaked that there is no "legal" version of, I'll pirate that stuff.

If I can get it at a price that isn't inflated by the collectors market and without having to make a day job of obtaining it, I pay for it.

There's probably been a few times when I played fast and loose with the "easy to obtain" part but later I'd buy it legit in those cases.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2013, 05:15:03 am »

I just sit at my desk and listen to music on YouTube all day.  Or watch Gomer Pyle.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2013, 08:30:48 am »

I thought a lot about what makes something "pretentious" while my boss at work lectured me about how I need to work on my latte art, because that is a huge part of the "coffee shop experience."

My drinks are fuck*ng delicious, but I can't even make a little rippley wave design on top. I am having a hard time caring. Today I learned that I am not included on the manager's mostly-secret list of the "most promotable" employees, and I would like to imagine it is because of my lack of latte art.

(it is probably actually because when I haven't had a customer in 15 minutes I read Moby Dick, instead of polishing the counter for the 20th time. Little do they know, coffee jerks who read books at work are an important part of the "coffee shop experience.")
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:44:14 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2013, 04:03:35 pm »

I've been an eMusic member since 1999 and I'm happy with it. I'm actually a little sad they they have all the major labels now because their sales charts used to be a really good way to discover new-to-me artists. Now it's all Taylor Swift etc. I refuse to buy proprietary files from iTunes so Amazon is my back up.

For whoever was complaining about a harddrive in a dead desktop like 3 pages ago, have you tried putting the drive in an external enclosure? http://www.newegg.com/External-Enclosures/SubCategory/ID-92
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2013, 04:05:05 pm »

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2013, 04:34:34 pm »

I was beginning to wonder what was wrong with us that this thread was on topic for six pages.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2013, 04:42:17 pm »

And just today there's this: http://consumerist.com/2013/01/10/ever-bought-a-cd-from-amazon-it-might-be-eligible-for-free-mp3-conversion/

(Amazon will provide a free mp3 copy of most CDs you purchase or have purchased since 1998)
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2013, 05:57:35 pm »

Whoa. I just went and they did that thing, automatically. I am a happy customer.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Mad Raging Music Media Battle
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2013, 06:22:05 pm »

Too bad I've already done that. When I got my first iPod I ripped about 2 thousand cds to mp3.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up