Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Write your own obituary  (Read 6287 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Write your own obituary
« on: March 22, 2013, 03:43:15 pm »

I just wrote my obituary. It was suggested to me recently that in order to choose a direction in life, it's often necessary to figure out where you want to end up. So I wrote my NYT obit. I thought you guys might want to read it, and I would find it interesting to read y'alls as well.


July 28, 2072

JayEll, author, media magnate, and autism advocate, died Thursday evening in her home. She was 93. She is survived by her husband, her children, and five grandchildren.

JL's media company, Aut Nation, Inc, began in the mid-teens as a handful of personal blogs, aggregators, and static resource pages that were mainly directed at parents whose children fell on the autism spectrum. Over the next two decades, she successfully launched three monthly e-zines in succession to serve the wider ASD community. AutFamily came first, marking a sea change in the way autism has been defined in the mainstream media. Indistinguishable on the surface from other successful, family-oriented magazines of the day like Family Fun, Parenting, and Kiwi, AutFamily set itself apart by tossing out the standard "ages and stages" curriculum and giving parents the tools and support they needed to meet their children at whatever level seemed appropriate, regardless of age.

AutLife, first published as a quarterly in 2020, was the first national publication produced by and for individuals on the spectrum, and by 2025 its masthead read like a who's who of autistic thinkers and advocates of the day. The emergence of AutTeen a few years later successfully bridged the gap between AutFamily and AutLife. Many of today's top aut-rights advocates first found their voices as young adults writing for AutTeen's regular guest features. "The opportunity to write about my experiences transitioning to college as a teen with Asperger's was life-changing for me," says Aspie Autberger, an early contributor to AutTeen. "And I know that my work helped hundreds of other young adults with their transitions, too -- I have a file cabinet full of letters to prove it."

JL also published several lesser-known works in the field of Labor History, focusing on the administration of the Department of Labor's Women's Bureau in the mid-twentieth century. Her interest in women who advocated for labor rights seems to have influenced her choices as an activist for autism awareness.

JL first became an advocate after her own children were both diagnosed with autism in the late Aughts. She realized when they were young that their diagnosis would not keep them from success, but that unless autism became more widely understood, they would find doors closed to them nonetheless. She described in a 2051 interview how she began AutFamily out of a feeling of frustration with the mainstream parenting media's preoccupation with achievement and the pathologization of alternative forms of intelligence. "Every magazine I picked up told me that my kids were broken," she said. "But when I looked at what they were capable of, what their friends with ASD were capable of, what adults with ASD were doing in the world, I didn't see anything wrong. What I saw was an intelligence that we should foster, not because it is better than the standard way of thinking, but because only when we combine the two perspectives can we truly learn to see the world in all three dimensions."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Write your own obituary
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 04:11:49 pm »

I think this is potentially a valuable thing to do, with the caveat that you want to use it to take the next few steps, but not be too stuck on it. Because sometimes the path can lead somewhere you don't expect that is even more interesting.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Write your own obituary
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 04:31:46 pm »

Yes. Clearly, I am not going to be pissed off if I don't have an obit in the NYT when I die. (I mean, I'll be dead anyway.) But writing out how I want to be remembered is actually a pretty useful way of figuring out what my values in life are.

Do I want to be remembered as a housewife who worked part-time at a board game store and occasionally wrote video game reviews for no pay?

No.

So why the hell am I spending my time doing those things?

Time to figure out how to take a step or two towards the things I want to be remembered for -- carving out a space for kids like my kids to be valued, productive members of society.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Write your own obituary
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 04:48:41 pm »

Here lies Asherdan - You GODDAM kids still need to keep your ass off his lawn.

[serious reply later]

At the entrance to my ziggurat there will be a bronze plaque next to the eternal flame: HERE LIES ACAP. HE DID WEIRD SHIT TO MONEY THAT NO LIVING MEMBER OF HIS FAMILY UNDERSTANDS OR APPRECIATES. HE DIED JUST AS HE LIVED: ALONE
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Write your own obituary
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 06:07:09 pm »

He tried everyday to get the most out his life so he could best help people he cared about get the most out of theirs.  He didn't believe in short cuts.  He spent the money that he saved up.  He wasn't a particularly huge Strokes fan but he did enjoy their first album.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Write your own obituary
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 07:50:01 pm »

I wonder sometimes if I'd rather die fighting or die having come to some kind of peace.

I am having trouble knowing what I would want on my obit. I would like to be a person who cares less about what people think about me, much less "what I'll be remembered for." I would like people to think of me as someone who tries hard not to be a piece of shit to my fellow man. I would also like to not be remembered as a long-term barista.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Write your own obituary
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 05:30:13 pm »

Well, he's dead now. You can all go free.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Write your own obituary
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 06:09:42 pm »

BILLIONS WEEP, GNASH TEETH, RENDER GARMENTS AS OUR BELOVED EMPEROR TAKEN TO HEAVEN IN HIS 135th YEAR.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Write your own obituary
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 09:03:31 pm »

I guess Ash has already made those kinds of Grown-Up Decisions, but I have sort of drifted in and out of things and haven't ever actually had to sit down and Choose a Career before.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Write your own obituary
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 09:33:30 pm »

I did this a while back, and damned if I can find it.  I'm still pretty much on the path I had figured out then - with the exception that I still don't have "Dr." as part of my name.  I made the decision to forgo further schooling once the second kid came along.  All shmaltziness aside, kids really are the only legacy most of us will leave of any lasting significance.  I am somewhat hopeful that my alma mater's lacrosse team will become a more permanent part of the University and my passing will be noted by the perennial MCLA playoff contending squad.  We had a memorial at last years' Alumni game for the two men who have died who played for the club during their college careers. Both too young (20's), one due to cancer, one lost overboard giraffeing commercially in Alaskan waters.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Write your own obituary
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 10:30:13 pm »

When I figure out how to monetize fuck*ng around on the internet I will let you know.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Write your own obituary
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 10:58:56 pm »

When I figure out how to monetize fuck*ng around on the internet I will let you know.

This is pretty much what I have been doing for the past few years but while I am getting money out of it, it still isn't enough to live on. But maybe you can find a more lucrative niche to fuck around in.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Write your own obituary
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 12:25:53 am »

I'm seriously considering getting back into the sex writing game, actually. That was one of my better-paying gigs.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Write your own obituary
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 12:39:54 am »

When I figure out how to monetize fuck*ng around on the internet I will let you know.

I mean.... right? Though with the market saturation that probably doesn't pay so well either.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Write your own obituary
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 03:05:15 am »

It's kind of interesting to me.  Right now, if I were to write my obituary based on what I've done, it would look highly impressive on paper with all sorts of career and creative accomplishments, awards and accolades along with some significant social impact, yet all I want to be is a wife a mother.  I'm longing for your opposite JL.  It's not to say one path is more valid than the other.  I'm grateful for what I've had and what I will have in equal measures.  Certainly, while trying to conceive, when it looked like it wasn't happening, I worried that maybe I had traded one for the other.  Thankfully that doesn't seem to be so.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up