Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Watching the Weight  (Read 28127 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2004, 02:00:24 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"

Which begs the question: why is there not an Iron Chef RPG


I was just thinking I'd rather have a board game - and discovered that they already sell one at the Food Network site.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2004, 02:26:53 am »

I took meds in the 90s and not only was I depressed but the fuck*ng things made me so G-d'ed horny it was unbelievable.

All better now, though.

Glad you're feeling better too, Mite.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Watching the Weight
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2004, 03:01:30 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"

Which begs the question: why is there not an Iron Chef RPG


Firstly, welcome back Mite! Good to see you're back, and well.

Secondly, you could have an RPG of this - Cooking Master Boy
It's a fantastic show!

And I could be tempted by a Taru dragoon. Though my main character has become my Hume and thus I can't really be bothered trying to lvl another character.
Although I could give up on the human and work on a Taru Ninja!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Watching the Weight
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2004, 03:40:41 am »

Quote from: "Mite"
No! It doesn't beg the question! It RAISES the question. Begging the question is a specific kind of logical fallacy in which the conclusion is one of the premises!


One thing I love about this board - one of the intangibles that give it the graham cracker crust that keeps me coming back - is that I can pretty much always count on any given thread coming around to semantics and / or alcohol.

Two of my favorite things.

Oh, and I looked it up, and goddammit, you're right - you have no idea how it aggrieves me to get caught out in matters of language - and I can only offer in my defense the excellent, hysterical use of the phrase (albeit in the second, less appropriate sense) in Shellac's "Il Porno Star". Well played.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2004, 04:01:05 am »

Congrats JL on your decision to join Weight Watchers.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Watching the Weight
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2004, 05:36:11 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"

One thing I love about this board - one of the intangibles that give it the graham cracker crust that keeps me coming back - is that I can pretty much always count on any given thread coming around to semantics and / or alcohol.

Preach on, brother. And yes, this may be the happiest thing.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Watching the Weight
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2004, 03:28:57 pm »

Y'know, there's a pretty cool Weight Watchers app for Palm OS.  WW themselves put the kibosh on it, because it's not licensed, but it's still floating around out there.  I may be able to send someone a copy if they want it.

Signed,
thinks about Weight Watchers, but continues to be a fat bastard instead of actually doing it
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2004, 02:09:01 am »

I've broken down and am trying Atkins.  Today was my first day.

This is some kinda weird shit, I'm telling you.  All I can eat is meat, meat, meat.  Also eggs and cheese.  Seriously.

Here's what I've eaten today:  4 hard-boiled eggs, 1 can of sardines, 1 can of tuna, a hunk of swiss cheese, two chicken breasts, two cups of lettuce and one cup of spinach.

Can't have any caffeine, sugar or alcohol.  Harsh.

I'm not hungry, really, but I'm craving carbs.  The book says the cravings will go away as soon as I burn all my stored carbs and start burning fat and protein.  I guess I'll just go eat a pork chop and wait till that happens.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2004, 02:21:33 am »

Can you drink milk? Because the guy at the supermarket was just today saying they used to throw away almost all of the whole milk and now they've started running out of it.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2004, 03:50:13 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I've broken down and am trying Atkins.  Today was my first day.


Weight Watchers is the way to go.  You should give them a try.  Atkins only delivers short term results.  I've been doing WW for a year and it's really working for me.  You'll never stop craving carbs because you love them and your body needs them.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Watching the Weight
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2004, 03:56:11 am »

Weight Watchers tends to be geared toward women, and counting *anything* isn't very practical in the long term.

I mean, you have to ask yourself: Can I do this for the REST OF MY LIFE and be happy? Because that's pretty much what it takes if you want to keep the weight off.  Or so I've heard, as I've found that as soon as I stop doing whatever it is that I changed I tend to just go right back up the scale again.

For what it's worth, I know some people who have lost a lot of weight on the Atkins, but be prepared for HELLA constipation.  Eating all of that meat will do wonky things to your intestines.

I did Atkins until I started to get pains in my heart about a week in.  Most doctors will tell you that a restrictive diet of anything but total calories is pretty bad for you in one way or another.  There's a reason they have that pyramid.

My problem is that I tend to be on the go a lot and eat whatever I can scrounge up quickly while I'm out, or make quickly when I'm home.  That, and of course I am drawn inexorably to the Chinese food buffets.  So much General Tso's Chicken, so little time...

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2004, 05:22:14 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I've broken down and am trying Atkins.  Today was my first day.

This is some kinda weird shit, I'm telling you.  All I can eat is meat, meat, meat.  Also eggs and cheese.  Seriously.

Here's what I've eaten today:  4 hard-boiled eggs, 1 can of sardines, 1 can of tuna, a hunk of swiss cheese, two chicken breasts, two cups of lettuce and one cup of spinach.

Can't have any caffeine, sugar or alcohol.  Harsh.

I'm not hungry, really, but I'm craving carbs.  The book says the cravings will go away as soon as I burn all my stored carbs and start burning fat and protein.  I guess I'll just go eat a pork chop and wait till that happens.



Atkins works.  Stick with it and you should do OK, but be conscious of your body...and the alcohol can come back after induction is over, and then once you are on maintenance, it's what your body can handle....good luck!

I think that moderation is the key to almost all diets out there right now, and some people need to count to help them know or rediscover where moderation is.  So I have no problem with Weight Watchers or  other diets that 'count' things. Although I do have a problem with programs that require you to buy all your food from them. I just think there is a point where people MUST take responsibility for what they eat or else you create dependency, and I don't think that is a good or positive way to go.

Support from peers and family is incredibly important, though and programs with that built in have an important component covered.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Watching the Weight
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2004, 06:24:47 am »

I found it also helps to have a buddy to exercise with, maybe even someone else who's trying to shed some pounds so that the two of you can be each other's support system.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2004, 04:37:00 pm »

Well, the first week is over, and the results are in:

Starting weight: 160 lbs.
Yesterday's weight: 153 lbs.  

Net loss:  7 lbs.*

So, yeah.  Seeing as how I stopped being hungry between meals after the first 3 days, and haven't had to give up ice cream, I think I'll be stickin' with this one.  

Pedro has lost a similar amount of weight, as well.  

*Results not typical
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Watching the Weight
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2004, 04:51:57 pm »

That's a lot to lose in one week.  You'll lose a lot of fluid the first couple of weeks, and if you're not exercising like CRAZY, a lot of your early weight loss will be due to losing lean muscle mass (the engine that burns fat) and not fat, since your body will go into preservation and starvation mode.

But congrats. Sounds like a good start.  Just don't be disappointed if you don't lose 7 pounds every week.  It probably took years to put it on, it will take awhile to pull it back off again.  So chin up.

I know a guy who has lost over 90 pounds since last January on WW, and he's still on the programme and doing well.  He's even talking about running a marathon!

So I'm considering joining.  Maybe just to get their stuff.  I really have no interest in sitting in on weekly meetings with a groupful of middle aged fat chicks.  No offense to any MAFCs out there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up