Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Watching the Weight  (Read 28066 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2004, 06:41:18 pm »

OK, now Burger King has "whopper platters" where there's no bun. This Atkins thing has gone too far.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Watching the Weight
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2004, 06:57:41 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
OK, now Burger King has "whopper platters" where there's no bun. This Atkins thing has gone too far.

I think I was troubled when I saw my first billboard for low-carb beer. Especially low-carb skanky beer. How precisely did this happen?!
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2004, 07:28:48 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "CortJstr"

OK, now Burger King has "whopper platters" where there's no bun. This Atkins thing has gone too far.


I think I was troubled when I saw my first billboard for low-carb beer. Especially low-carb skanky beer. How precisely did this happen?!



It'll pass. Diet "Fads" always do. Just eat healthily and in moderation, increase your activity level and keep a healthy eye on the six dimensions of your overall wellness and you will become healthier and lose unwanted or extra weight. There is debate about it, but the six dimensions I learned are:

Physical, Emotional, Intellectual, Occupational, Social and Spiritual.

Balance these aspects of your overall wellness and, generally speaking, you should be in pretty good shape all around.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2004, 05:48:58 am »

Weighed myself at the gym tonight, on the scale I've decided will be my standard.  After one week of Atkins, I've lost either 3 or 4 pounds.  I forgot exactly where I started, but I know it's one of two numbers.

Anyhow.  The all meat thing is getting a little easier and I'm finding ways to get some variety included, lest I go mad.  I am beginning to notice some of the promised effects.  My appetite in general is reduced.  I don't seem to be hungry all the time, or at least not so much.  This is a big thing for me -- I like to eat and I have a low resistance to hunger.  My energy level seems to be increasing, but it's hard to tell with that.

I don't think I could handle eating this few carbs long-term.  When you move on to the next stages, you ramp up little by little.  With some more veggies and the occasional fruit on the menu, I could probably do this for a long while.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Watching the Weight
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2004, 06:18:31 am »

I finally bit the bullet on Friday and started working on a healthier living plan.  I'm not on a diet, exactly (since diets have these rules and you have to punish yourself and all - not exactly my scene) but I've been reading up on degenerative cell replicative failure (that which causes aging) and people that eat low calorie but SUPER high nutrition foods tend to live longer.  

So I've been reading up on how to be healthy - and the three meal a day counting "points" wasn't really my cup o' tea (although I did buy the Weight Watchers At Home kit for recipes and tips and stuff) and whereas before I'd eat two meals a day that were high in both carbs and fat, but breaking down my meals into four times a day chunks and eating less food with fewer calories but that's really high in a balanced nutrition (sometimes it's hard to find foods that are high in certain vitamins so I have supplements to swallow when I'm feeling lazy and don't feel like making dark green leafy vegetable dishes).

Anyway, I'm down 8 1/2 pounds since Friday (four days) which sounds impressive but you have to keep in mind that I can take a leak and lose 5 pounds.

I'm not feeling like I'm torturing myself, and chicken is really low in calories (not that it's all that high in nutrition, though) and hot sauce is practically zero calories so as long as I can whip myself up some veggies and chicken and add some furious burning heat to it I'm all set, I think.

I'd exercise more if it weren't for the snow, although all that shoveling I did today made my heart hurt.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2004, 02:37:59 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

Anyway, I'm down 8 1/2 pounds since Friday (four days)


Just bite me, Nnn-kay.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Watching the Weight
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2004, 03:47:51 pm »

It's all good, chief.  I can take a crap and lose 10 pounds.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2004, 04:50:22 pm »

Is that cause you're full of it?  Heh.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2004, 07:02:39 pm »

Well, while we're sharing...

I'm down a grand total of 7.5 lbs in 2 weeks.  Pedro (I hope he doesn't mind me sharing for him) is down 12.5 lbs, and I couldn't be prouder of him.  We definitely both feel better and we're starting to settle in to our new eating patterns.  I haven't even had to give up ice cream after supper, which I must say is an absolute requirement for me.  (Ice cream is my biggest weakness, foodwise.)  I think I'm at a small plateau already, which they say is normal, so if I don't lose by my next weigh-in day (next Monday) I might have to try to kick-start my weight loss with -- heaven forbid! -- excercise.  But I'm really trying to avoid that, if possible.   :lol:
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2004, 07:39:34 pm »

I lost 1.2 pounds this week.  Hella WW style.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2004, 07:52:26 pm »

Hey August - I was looking back at your post about what you ate...I'm curious - are you working from Atkins' books directly? Also, there is an atkins support webboard which is interesting although it is mainly populated by people with clinical obesity, which is not a frame of reference useful to my wife and I....but gives good diet tips and good explanations about some of the food choices.

Get some Flaxseed flour and I'll send you the recipe for flaxseed pancakes. They are pretty good and very Atkins Friendly. Also a favorite Atkins breakfast here is, you buy lox (and you can buy the cheap kind that is sort of like lox scraps!) and put a dollop of sour cream and some capers (if you want/can) and roll them up. Bite sized, tasty and totally in the diet zone.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2004, 08:28:41 pm »

Yep, working from the book directly.

Lox and anything is a favorite breakfast of mine, Atkins or no Atkins.  Kinda pricey, though.  The hardboiled egg thing is working out well for breakfast because it's portable and I generally eat breakfast in the car on the way to work.

I will definitely try the flaxseed thing.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Watching the Weight
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2004, 08:48:05 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
on the way to work.


You know, AW, I've been meaning to ask you this for awhile now.

I know you're a lawyer, although I don't know if that's your actual job job or just a side business - but you tend to post here a lot during the day, and so I'm wondering:

a) Do you actually do work while at work?

and

b) Do you bill message board time to one single client, or spread it out evenly among several?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2004, 08:57:34 pm »

Beware: the Atkins support messageboard

Don't say I didn't warn you.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2004, 10:00:12 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
on the way to work.


You know, AW, I've been meaning to ask you this for awhile now.

I know you're a lawyer, although I don't know if that's your actual job job or just a side business - but you tend to post here a lot during the day, and so I'm wondering:

a) Do you actually do work while at work?

and

b) Do you bill message board time to one single client, or spread it out evenly among several?


I work for the government.

a) Yes, and plenty of it.  I'm just highly talented at multi-tasking.  Right now I'm talking on the phone AND sending someone to death row.

b)see above re: government.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up