Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Watching the Weight  (Read 28112 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2004, 11:47:10 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Beware: the Atkins support messageboard

Don't say I didn't warn you.


That is actually a different one - the one we were looking it looked like this one except all the avatars were before and afters of people who were very overweight and are now somewhat overweight. Occasionally the posts are hopelessly pathetic but most of the people have their heads on pretty straight and the rest is mildly humorous in a heartrending sort of way.

this is the Atkins Board
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Watching the Weight
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2004, 12:04:53 am »

"I'm hungry all the time and all I do is eat."

"It sounds like you're not eating enough fat."

 -- an exchange from the above board

Meanwhile, Dr. Atkins himself died from complications due to high cholesterol.

Any diet that suggests eating more bacon (being careful not to drain too much fat off) just HAS to raise some red flags in you.

I was on the Atkins for a couple of weeks because I know a few people who lost a lot of weight on it (although they mostly lost muscle mass, and one of them was later in the hospital for three weeks due to malnutrition) until my doctor suggested that I would die within three months if I stayed on that diet.

And I LOVES me some bacon.  I just don't eat it more than once every two months, and only a few strips when I do.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2004, 01:25:40 am »

I can't find any reference to an autopsy on Dr Atkins, although there was much controversy over his death in New York, where he suffered head injuries after falling on a footpath in the winter. The widow and Mayor Bloomberg had a much publicized war of words after the Mayor made some somewhat inappropriate comments about Dr Atkins' health and weight. I imagine it may have been partially a response to a lawsuit filed by the family over the walkway being inadequately cleaned / de-iced.

I don't think it's proven that his head injuries were due to his diet.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2004, 03:00:16 am »

Well, personally I prefer giraffe and poultry to red meat.  That's what I've been concentrating by choice, so I'm hoping cholesterol won't be much of an issue.  Of course, I loves me some pork, too.  But hey, everything in moderation.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2004, 04:45:33 pm »

The diet I've been working on:
1) Move to a city, far away from home.
2) Walk everywhere.
3) Become very, very poor.

When I moved up to New York, I was around 175. Then, I didn't mount a scale for six months. In January, as a lark (and also because I've had to start punching new holes in my belts) I hopped on the scale. I've lost 25 pounds. Not a MASSIVE loss, considering the length of time, but I'm pleased.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Watching the Weight
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2004, 05:57:26 pm »

Quote from: "jough"


"It sounds like you're not eating enough fat."

Although interestingly research has shown that people who eat more fat will not feel as full as quickly.
It's the protein that makes you feel full.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2004, 07:22:49 pm »

Heroin and crack have been shown to dramatically cause weight loss too. Hepatitis, AIDS and tuberculosis are also helpful.

New York is a great place to find any and all of these. Best of luck!
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2004, 10:21:31 pm »

Weekly update:

Weight loss since last Monday: 3 lbs.  

Total weight lost since 12 Jan: 10.5 lbs.  

Oh, yeah.  I'm well on the way to my pre-wedding weight.  The bad news: I've dipped below 150, so I get 2 fewer points a day now.  That puts me at 20 points a day, while Pedro still gets 26.  For those extra 6 points, I could have two scoops of ice cream after supper.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2004, 03:57:10 am »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Weekly update:

Weight loss since last Monday: 3 lbs.  

Total weight lost since 12 Jan: 10.5 lbs.  

Oh, yeah.  I'm well on the way to my pre-wedding weight.  The bad news: I've dipped below 150, so I get 2 fewer points a day now.  That puts me at 20 points a day, while Pedro still gets 26.  For those extra 6 points, I could have two scoops of ice cream after supper.


That is awesome, you are awesome.  Keep up the good work.  Rah Rah Rah.  (Everybody needs encouragement).  If you exercise you can have those points back.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2004, 04:50:48 am »

Thanks, and congrats to you on losing 1.5 this week.  I'm totally terrified I'm going to hit a plateau soon.  

Exercise is a last resort...I know it's awful, but I'm the laziest bum around.  Although I suspect my recent success has been the result of countless hours of home improvements.  It's certainly more activity than sitting at a desk answering phones 8 hours a day.  Wait 'til I get back to my regularly scheduled slack-assitude.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2004, 06:20:28 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"

That is awesome, you are awesome.  Keep up the good work.  Rah Rah Rah.  (Everybody needs encouragement).  If you exercise you can have those points back.


You...are...rad!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Watching the Weight
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2004, 08:20:50 am »

But J! COWBOYS!
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2004, 11:11:27 am »

Well hey, I'll update my weightage, too.

End of college (may 2003)- 146 lbs.
Now - 131 lbs.

I'm on the "have a really stressful job where I have to exercise a lot to maintain my sanity and I don't buy snack food" diet. I'm within spitting distance of that 130 mark, and I think I've got about 6 pounds to go before I'd be comfortable with my ass in a bikini this summer. Yeehaw!

Congrats to everybody else! And somebody help me stay away from eating loads of really good bread and even better cheese...
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2004, 03:44:11 pm »

Woah, mite, I'd be thrilled to be at 131.  My ultimate goal is 130, actually -- that's what I weighed when Pedro proposed in November 2001.  Ah, yes -- marriage.  Makes ya fat and happy.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2004, 05:07:19 pm »

Since it seems like the thing to do today:  8 pounds after two weeks on Atkins.  Probably more, since I last weighed on Saturday.

My two weeks on induction are finished today, but I probably will stay on it until I get back from California on Friday.  I'm jonesin' for some peanuts, though.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up