Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Watching the Weight  (Read 28186 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2004, 08:55:48 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
[I think teenage boys should be advised of this image. Perhaps we could print up a pamphlet: "Things Which, If You Say Them To Your Date, Will Make You Sound Like An Evil Prince of Mars." I could chip in a couple, personally.


This made me laugh out loud harder than anything else I've heard, seen, or thought of today.  

And I dreamed about screwing Steve Martin, so that's saying something.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

V-Adore

  • Guest
Watching the Weight
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2004, 08:57:56 pm »

What the hell -- I'll start a thread.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2004, 03:25:08 am »

No one's been mentioning their diet which I know is not a good indicator of sucess.  As for myself, i've been on a plateau for two full months now, but this week I am not losing the same pound again and have finally broken through to new weight loss.  It's only .6 tenths of a pound, but every little bit matters.  This is a hard fought battle, but I am commited to seeing it through.

~Paul

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2004, 03:48:12 am »

I'm currently hovering and trying to get back on track after Easter dinner and a few other lapses.  Still, I've lost 24 pounds since January and I work out regularly.  I'm in the best shape I've been in my adult life.  And I still need to lose another 20 pounds.  But I'm taking it slow and easy now.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Watching the Weight
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2004, 03:57:51 am »

Many congratulations to Paul and August!
Logged
goose means greedy

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2004, 04:36:27 am »

Congrats to all!  I haven't mentioned my weight loss lately because I figured nobody was that interested...but I've lost a total of 19 lbs despite going slightly off-track the week of our DC trip and again at Easter.  Pedro has lost 20 - 25, depending what day it is -- his weight fluctuates like crazy.  I'm pretty pleased with my loss so far -- I've dropped two dress sizes and had to buy new jeans.  Just seven pounds to go before I'm at a post-college low.  (I weighed 135 at graduation.)  My original goal was 130 but I'm thinking I might go for an additional 5 lbs. after that, since I've done so well so far.  It all depends on how I feel when I get there.  

Anybody else?  C'mon, let's get some success stories up in this piece!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2004, 04:48:48 am »

The best diet is not overeating at holiday feasts. Seriously.

I haven't lost any weight in any recent lapses of time; back a few years ago I lost ten pounds on my honeymoon - walking around Rome will do that to you, no matter how much you eat. I wish I could contribute positively through this thread, though I swear to Highest-Power-Of-Choice that the above advice is golden.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2004, 07:56:06 am »

I'm hovering around 200 pounds. But, I can go 40 straight minutes on the cardio machine now (at HR=144 or higher), which I guarantee you would have resulted in vomiting 6 months ago.  And, I've increased the machine's level since I started. (Tues, for example, I did 540 calories in 40 minutes)

I'm starting to wonder about the tradeoff. I have been eating, to some degree healthier and I think I'm in better physical shape. But I'm the same shape, so to speak, and about the same weight.

I know that muscle weighs more than fat but I don't think I'm putting on muscle doing these CV workouts.  And my gut ain't going nowhere. So what is the actual effect of these workouts?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2004, 03:23:13 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I know that muscle weighs more than fat but I don't think I'm putting on muscle doing these CV workouts.  And my gut ain't going nowhere. So what is the actual effect of these workouts?


Do you feel better?  Do you notice a difference in your overall energy level?  Can you physically do more than you could before?  Then it's working.  

That said, you might consider swapping weight training for your CV workouts twice a week.  Some combination of the two is the best strategy for losing fat and improving cardio health while building muscle tone.  The more muscle mass you have, the more calories per minute you burn doing CV, so they compliment each other quite well.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2004, 04:23:58 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I know that muscle weighs more than fat but I don't think I'm putting on muscle doing these CV workouts.  And my gut ain't going nowhere. So what is the actual effect of these workouts?


You're not going to put on any muscle doing cardio.  You have to start lifting weights.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2004, 06:07:49 pm »

I workout roughly every other day.  30 minutes cardio on the elliptical machine (which I love because it doesn't hurt my knees at all) followed by 45 - 60 minutes of weightlifting.  I alternate arms/chest with legs but do abs and back every time.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2004, 08:58:26 pm »

I know the cardio I'm doing is building some musclemass - it's an elliptical machine with serious resistance (progammable for hill courses, etc.) and it makes me work the whole machine using just my arms for about 8 minutes total (out of 40)which is a <bitch> the third and fourth time it comes around.

The suggestion to do large-muscle work prior to the CV makes really good sense, though, in terms of a 'cleansing' effect - I will try that.

As for my general feeling of wellbeing - I have a couple things going which are improving, having to with a theory we (Doc and I) are working that I hypersecrete adrenalin. This would explain a lot of things in my life starting with a probably incorrect diagnosis of hyperactivity in grade school and some minor behavior problems throughout my younger life.

So cutting caffeine and other stimulants helps and CV exercise helps. The adrenalin constantly in the system with no fighting or running away becomes pure stress, so the exercise helps a lot with general stress, and also ameliorates the other symptomatic problem which is chronic GI problems. So primarily, it's therapeutic but also I would love to be rid of this gut. I may try a yoga-pilates class they have here that may be good for both.

I also should watch what I eat better and workout more, but I don't want to become obsessive about it. Although I do want to get a swim coach and complete a triathlon before I leave here.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2004, 04:36:27 pm »

Today, I lost my twenty-first pound, bringing me down to 139 lbs and within sight of my goal.  

::Takes a bow::

No autographs, please.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2004, 12:12:29 am »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Today, I lost my twenty-first pound, bringing me down to 139 lbs and within sight of my goal.  

::Takes a bow::

No autographs, please.


Pictures!!!!!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2004, 05:28:15 am »

I'm just going to gloat for a while about being young and having a (relatively) fast-ass metabolism.
HOWEVER.
Working in a diner and getting 2 free, bacon-heavy meals a day is starting to take a toll; I haven't actually gotten heavier, but I feel more slothful. I think a switch to salads (at work, as opposed to giant heaps of home fries drizzled in cheese, with hossradish sour cream) and water for a while should help me get back that old loving feeling. However, I'm a lot stronger for all of the moving tables and stuff; I can now lift and carry a small add-on table above my head for the length of the restaurant.
Congrats to everyone, for all of your progress. Fitter days for all!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up