Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Watching the Weight  (Read 28213 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2004, 09:35:11 pm »

Weight Watcher's Log Stardate 21463: It's still happening.  Every Monday and Tuesday, I log my food intake studiously.  Every Wednesday or Thursday, something comes up that keeps me awake overnight.  Every Thursday and Friday I binge like a mad cow.  Every day, I have to re-adjust my belt four times at least.  I'm hovering at 193 pounds.  This appears to be directly between two belt holes.  If it's too loose, my ##### sag.  If it's too tight, I get gas.  I can only hope that someday I will get a full week's sleep and be able to break this terrible cycle.


Weight Watcher's Log, Supplimental: A curious thing.  My wife joined Weight Watchers Online and I've tagged along with a spreadsheet for a points log.  I've noticed it makes me feel less like a man.  It's not a manly eggs and bacon diet, oh no!  It's the kind for which there are meetings.  Meetings where people discuss their bodies and possibly their shoes.  I don't go, but it's still immasculating.  This effect is offset only by the fact that my wife is getting hotter by the hour, and totally let's me bang her.


Mad cows binge on the brains of other cows.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2004, 02:08:43 am »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
immasculating


Yes.  In the same way as the immasculate conception must have been.  

Just because you're my husband doesn't mean I won't pick on you when I see an opportunity.  In fact, more so.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2004, 03:24:30 am »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Just because you're my husband doesn't mean I won't pick on you when I see an opportunity.  In fact, more so.


Damn, you wives are all alike!

I've kind of plateaued on the Atkins thing.  I've still cut waaay back on sugars/breads/starches but not quite so extreme.  I'm continuing to gradually lose weight.  Hard to tell the past week or so, because my workouts have been limited.  I tore a ligament lifting weights and took a week off.  Been getting PT and taking naproxen.  Still have some pain, but gradually getting better, and I can do most of my workouts.

Anyhow, in mid-January when I started this thing I was at 264 or so.  In February when Jeopardy was filmed I had lost 10 pounds.  Lately I weigh in at 239.  I've also lowered by Body Fat percentage from 33% to 30%.

So, this injury sucks.  Not just because of the pain (which is annoying but not insurmountable).  I don't want to lose my momentum.  I've gotten into the exercise habit and I don't want that to (ever) change.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2004, 06:33:16 pm »

The elliptical trainer is still your friend. Grind out extra time on there and when you're ready, hit the weights again.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2004, 07:10:14 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
immasculating


Yes.  In the same way as the immasculate conception must have been.  

Just because you're my husband doesn't mean I won't pick on you when I see an opportunity.  In fact, more so.


emasculate
     adj : having unsuitable feminine qualities (syn: effeminate, epicene,
            cissy, sissified, sissyish, sissy)

immaculate
     adj 1: completely neat and clean; "the apartment was immaculate";
            "in her immaculate white uniform"; "JL immaculately tore Pedro's spelling and cognitive abilities an new one.  How emasculating."
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2004, 07:58:21 pm »

She's setting you up for some sweet, sweet grudge-sex.

Of course, a good grudge-**** is better if you don't like the other person all that much, but have fun with it anyhow.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2004, 05:42:30 pm »

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/

One of the founders of AutoDesk and AutoCAD began a diet program called "The Hacker's Diet". It treats weight loss and maintenance from an engineering and management perspective.

I really like it because it's geared towards engineers and geeks like me. The basic premise is that you can gain control of any system if you understand how it works. Hence the "hacker" label.

Exercise is super-important for health. I have asthma, and I control it through exercise. I work out five days a week. I do one mile on the treadmill (I run a nine-minute mile, which is actually jogging, I guess) and then I run 3 additional miles on the elliptical machine. Calorie counting for the rest of my life is the only way that I'm ever going to get back to 109 (I'm 5'5") and REMAIN there. So that is what I am doing.

Plus I plan to start weightlifting once my body fat percentage is below 20%. That way it will make sure that my bones stay strong despite being lighter. My ultimate goal is to run a half-marathon, which is 13 miles.

I have had awesome success with the common-sense approach: picking healthy and nutrient-dense foods, counting calories, and working out. I have lost 27 pounds since February 1, 2004. Weight loss of one to two pounds per week is sustainable.

The other cool thing about Walker's program is that he has all these Excel tools that he developed for monitoring your weight and progress. Heh.. kind of reminds me of Beef's program for milk and eggs.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Watching the Weight
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2004, 05:55:14 pm »

My first instance of looking at this thread. Everyone probably knows that I quit smoking. Helpful to me in this endeavor was finally hitting the gym again. I was working out fairly regularly last year when I quit smoking, and I was at 165 lbs, and wanted to bulk up to 175 - 180 lbs. The first time I went to the gym after quitting this time - you guessed it - 178 lbs. Success! Also, I looked as fat as a tick on the back of a hog. However, I'm still not smoking, and I'm working out for roughly an hour a day (1/2 elliptical CV and 1/2 weights) and between the two I feel about 1600% better. And I don't really care how fat I am because the sex is of much longer duration, and I can taste my food.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2004, 05:55:46 pm »

It's odd.  I find it much harder to control my diet and stay on track controling my eating than I do to maintain my exercise program.  It's a struggle (sometimes) to eat the way I should.  But after a year of regular exercise, if I don't workout I miss it.  I'm also amazed by the effect exercise has on my emotional state.

Linnea, I don't understand why you're waiting to start weightlifting.  I'm certainly no expert, but I would think that weightlifting would help lower your body fat percentage.  That's how I perceive it has affected me.  If you're building muscle, that's tissue that isn't fat.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Watching the Weight
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2004, 06:07:17 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
And I don't really care how fat I am because the sex is of much longer duration, and I can taste my food.

I confess that I find these noble words and will endeavor to live by them. (Optionally, I'm just a lazy fatass, but hey.)
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2004, 03:35:35 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"

Linnea, I don't understand why you're waiting to start weightlifting.  I'm certainly no expert, but I would think that weightlifting would help lower your body fat percentage.  That's how I perceive it has affected me.  If you're building muscle, that's tissue that isn't fat.


You're certainly right about that. However, I had some bad luck in college with weightlifting. I was pretty chunky when I started doing cardio and weightlifting, and the weights just made me chunkier.

Looking back, I probably didn't restrict my caloric intake enough. A lot of people experience an increase in appetite when they start exercising, and I was probably packing on even more calorie-wise than I was expending. However...Running and the elliptical machine are still load-bearing exercise, although you are correct--they arent' as effective as maintaining lean tissue quite as well as weight training does.

I've read all over the place that women don't need to worry about bulking since we lack testosterone to really do much bulking. However, I want to be really lean and toned, so I'm going to stick with the Hacker's Diet and straight cardio before I start weightlifting again.

But again, you are correct. Weight training is extremely important for maintaining lean body mass and good bone density.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2004, 04:59:31 pm »

Linnea, thanks for the link to the Hacker's diet. I know he's just re-presenting information I already knew, but goddamnit he just puts it so well for me to understand it anew. I'm going to try it -- including the exercise plan -- as soon as I get through this twelver of Bass that's chilling in the fridge.

Once I quit drinking on weeknights, I'm sure like ten pounds will just fly off my body like mosquitos deserting a dead antelope after filling themselves in the serengeti. (This happens after the vultures get their fill.)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2004, 06:25:40 pm »

choop, I completely agree.

Walker doesn't really give any new information, but his manner of delivery just gelled with me, unlike any other book of similar subject manner. Most diet books that I have read are geared to Neanderthals or something.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2004, 07:50:14 pm »

Quote from: "linnea"
http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/


Thank you Linnea.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Watching the Weight
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2004, 07:46:02 pm »

I jumped rope the other day for the first time probably since I was in grade school. I was just out in the garage with the music basting, just a-tearin' it up. The next day, I could not walk due to extreme pain in my calves. The jumping of the rope uses muscles that people may not be accustomed to using, as at least for me, I do not find myself making little hops like that over and over in my daily existence.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up