Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Watching the Weight  (Read 28167 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2004, 10:21:14 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

Seriously, dude, I don't think I've ever broken the 9th commandment before. ;)


Doubt it. Have to doubt it. Every man has whether knowingly or not.

I agree with Cort; before/after pics should have similar parameters to facilitate comparison. Nude against a black background would be sufficient, I guess. With the same hairstyle and pose.

Failing that, Jamie, you're cute either way so if you feel better about yourself, that's probably the most important part. Good going.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2004, 12:56:13 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Okay, I'll bite (excuse the pun):

What is the "Hacker's Diet"?

Don't hackers drink regular Coke and eat pizza and Chinoise take-away six nights a week?


Jough, check it out: http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/hackdiet.html.

The Hacker's Diet was written by a guy called John Walker, one of the founders of AutoDesk. Since I'm a CADD monkey by trade, I was immediately interested when a friend mentioned it to me.

This is a really basic rundown, and it's from memory, so I'm  hoping it's accurate. The reason why  he uses the term, "Hacker's Diet", is because you can hack or manipulate any system, if you have an in-depth understanding of the system and how it works.

I like it because it's presented in a manner geared towards engineers and computer nerds, unlike 99.9% of all the retarded diet books out there.

Learning to count calories and do daily weigh ins takes a bit of getting used to, but I have found that it's been SO COMPLETELY WORTHWHILE. Like I said, I've lost 36 pounds thus far, and I now have the tools and motivation to keep them off for life.

Exercise is important to stay healthy, but you don't have to become a runner or an athlete to slim down. I really enjoy Walker's writing style, and that's why I recommend his approach.

Just my $0.02.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2004, 01:29:20 am »

I have ceased losing, mainly because I haven't been eating well lately (actually, I've been eating too well, if you follow me...).  Been holding steady.  Down about 25 pounds from the first of the year.  I don't expect to stop exercising in the foreseeable future (or ever, as long as I'm able).  My workouts have become fully integrated in my routine and I don't feel well at all (physically or emotionally) if I don't get them.

I gotta quit doing buffets for lunch.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2004, 01:43:46 am »

You'll never stop losing - keep your head up and repeat:

I AM a loser
I AM a loser
I AM a loser.

I mostly started changing my diet and behavior for a health reason; I fell off the wagon after my trip to Atlanta and don't you know I was sick as hell last night, so back on the wagon I go.

dammit.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2004, 02:05:31 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Cheater! Look at your hair/clothes in the before picture compared to after.


Actually, I did this on purpose.  (Sort of.  I couldn't find any full-body "fat" pictures, probably for a good reason.)  I always laugh at the "before" and "after" shots that seem to indicate that dieting also makes your hair lie down, causes makeup to spontaneously appear on your face, and fills your closet with designer clothes.  But the difference in how I look and feel really is this dramatic -- I've dropped from a size 14 to a size 8 since January and I've had to buy all new clothes.  

Not that I'm complaining ;)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Watching the Weight
« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2004, 07:23:00 am »

Well, I am eating better now because all of my lousy food has gone away DUE TO PUNISHMENT.

I didn't really have anything more to contribute to this thread, but I love the phrase "DUE TO PUNISHMENT" and have been working it into conversations with people who have no idea what it means.  

One of my offline friends has actually started using it.

THERE'S A WAVE, AND IT'S CATCHING ON... DUE TO PUNISHMENT.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2004, 06:08:26 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "linnea"

I am sort of at a plateau, ever since I got laid off from my job. :~( We had THE BEST workout facility there, and it was free.


Christ, I thought MY job had perks. All the bacon I can eat can't hold a candle to a f'in WORKOUT facility.


Oh man. The equipment was choice. Everything was brand-spankin' new and top of the line. *sniffle* I tried to work out at the sad little room that my apartment complex has. Talk about frustrating.

I lost my job on the week of June 7th. That same week, my fiance, who returned from Iraq in April, broke things off. Ouch. Talk about a shitty week.

I had a routine set up at my previous job... I would run one mile on the treadmill, and then do three more on the elliptical machine. Running really burns calories fast, but I have to be careful about my knees. Hence the elliptical goodness.

I applied for a job at the 24 hour fitness that is near my house. I can work nights and weekends, and hopefully I'll get reduced membership. Heh--then, who knows? Maybe I'll  meet the sugar daddy of my dreams, and I can stay home and not have to work and just play on the intarweb all day. ^_^
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2004, 06:20:13 pm »

Quote from: "linnea"
I lost my job on the week of June 7th. That same week, my fiance, who returned from Iraq in April, broke things off. Ouch. Talk about a shitty week.


Holy crap!  You should invest in a punching bag.  Put your ex's face on it.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2004, 06:42:21 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "linnea"
I lost my job on the week of June 7th. That same week, my fiance, who returned from Iraq in April, broke things off. Ouch. Talk about a shitty week.


Holy crap!  You should invest in a punching bag.  Put your ex's face on it.


Dude. It gets better. He broke up with me... ON THE PHONE... WHILE I WAS AT WORK.

We were together for four and a half years prior to his yearlong deployment in Iraq. I wrote him letters SIX TIMES A WEEK for the entire year that he was there. WTF?

He was hyper-aggressive ever since he got back. One of his Army buddies, his best friend in his platoon, came to visit that weekend. So I think that had a lot to do with it.

At any rate, it's for the best. I've just gotta live my own life, and if he doesn't want to be a part of it, there's not much I can do *shrugs*
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Watching the Weight
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2004, 07:07:59 pm »

Dude, that is low.

On the phone?  Your fiancé?  I wouldn't even break up with a girl I'd been casually dating on the phone*.

Dang.  Did you lose your job because you were exercising four hours a day?

What a sucky week.  If Karma teaches us anything, it's that you must now have an equally GOOD week, an ecstatic fuck*ng week, ahead in your future.

Hopefully not too far in the future.




* I did, however, once break up with a girl in the parking lot of a restaurant - but since she was driving I could just LEAVE afterwards and not have to worry about taking her home so that we'd have to, you know, talk about it on the way.

But I also had not previously pledged to spend the rest of my life with her, so I guess that's different.

I guess I really have nothing useful to say so I am just rambling about something sorta relevant, but not really.

/digression

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2004, 07:13:37 pm »

Yeah, I investigated the blog you posted below for the full, sordid saga.  Yowch.

It probably is for the best, if after all that he wanted to go back to being friends.   Choad.  Besides, you've burned off so much bad karma in one month that the next few years should be smooth sailing.  In the meantime, I wish you well.

ETA: karma!  great minds think alike. and so do jough and me.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Watching the Weight
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2004, 07:25:25 pm »

Words cannot describe the general rage I feel at hearing about a guy breaking up with his fiancee via a phone call while she's at work. If you didn't rearrange his face, Linnea, you're a far better person than I am.

May the next week find good karma returning.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2004, 07:37:36 pm »

Yeah. The day that it happened, I was surprised at how well I was handling it. I finished out the day at work. As soon as I left I just fuck*ng had a meltdown. I called all our friends and they were just as shocked as I was. It was really hard for me to give up all the dreams that I had for the future with him. You know, getting married, having children, etc. Shit, I'm getting all choked up even just typing this.

Heh... and of course, I was sitting there saying, "Well, I've got my friends and my cats and I have an AWESOME JOB THAT I LOVE...things will work out."

And then like three days later I got laid off. I honestly thought that I was doing a good job. I was keeping very busy, working 40 hours a week consistently, and getting work from lots of people in my department. I had JUST started working with a lady in another business group on a CERCLA/Superfund project. It honestly hit me out of nowhere.

P.S. I wrote to Ray asking for advice. He put a "Confidential To Somebody nice" at the bottom of last week's advice column. <3
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2004, 08:13:04 pm »

Yeah, dang, that is LOW. The worst I had heard of before was when my brother and his girlfriend broke up (mutually, actually) WHILE HAVING SEX. But that is sad. However, as they all said, KARMA.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Watching the Weight
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2004, 08:36:44 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Yeah, dang, that is LOW. The worst I had heard of before was when my brother and his girlfriend broke up (mutually, actually) WHILE HAVING SEX. But that is sad. However, as they all said, KARMA.

Quote from: "Gil Hicks"
So did he come or what?
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up