shitty landlords make me hate humanity. Seriously, how do you justify this? How much more do I have to pay a month for this guy to put some foam around the pipes or whatever?
ash and wombat responded to something silly I tweeted, and it only reminded me of the fact that you can get stuck in an internet bubble. There are things that I assume everyone knows about and is talking about, and then I realize literally no one I know in real life has that experience. Even people who ostensibly have some of the same interests as me are not clued into the exact same sources as me, and may have never heard about that thing that I think is a huge deal. I spend too much of my time reading what academics and journalists have to say about things, and i forget that almost nobody in real life is either of those things.
The internet consistently makes me feel like every person is somehow involved with writing or reporting. I honestly at one point felt anxiety about the fact that as a planner I would have to somehow be involved in journalism or book-writing. And then I caught myself and realized that no, actually, those people are not urban planners. They are urban affairs writers. The real urban planners on twitter are mostly people like me, tweeting random thoughts or reading other people's feeds. Most of the people in my classes have never heard of the things that I thought were really important, but they do know a lot more than me about technical things. Actually, yeah, there are certain concepts that it is troubling how few of my classmates have heard, and they are certainly not being taught in class.
In my grad classes I am really coming to appreciate the value of 1. my liberal arts education and 2. the four years I spent after college learning about random shit that interested me. Also realizing how much of "being smart" can be taking something you learned elsewhere and applying it in a new context. Especially with regards to "critical thinking," I literally think to myself "what would that snarky guy on twitter think about this" or even "what would Ash think about this" and it leads me to insights.
PS:
Where have you gone?/
J-L-D-ee-ee/
a lonely TOUAMB turns its eyes to you/
oo-oo-oo