Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Do we have a "Random" thread?  (Read 90418 times)

0 Members and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2014, 06:31:41 am »

I just realized that Aioli is foodie douchespeak for mayonnaise.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #166 on: August 02, 2014, 12:11:32 pm »

To be fair, aioli is mayo with a shit-ton of garlic in it, and it's probably not a bad idea to have a different word for that.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2014, 01:19:26 pm »

Reloading road flares now, are you?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #168 on: August 21, 2014, 05:04:53 am »

Reloading road flares now, are you?

I was all like, well that's never crossed my mind, but sure why not, but then I was like now wait a minute, that's not possible. You tricked me counselor.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #169 on: August 26, 2014, 05:20:44 am »

My old roommate (the one that went to Wombat's old school) wrote this fantastic thing at some point in the past and I just now read it. It's about Brooklyn, but I think it captures a lot of what I think about urban issues in general. Theoretically about public libraries, it really addresses the question of who a city ought to serve. I am also a big fan of this publication, started by a friend of his, the purpose of which is basically "write in-depth articles about Brooklyn that do not mention trendy cafes or hip bands. And pay the writers."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #170 on: August 26, 2014, 11:33:35 am »

That reminds me that I have been wishing I could find someone else who would appreciate this thing I stumbled upon. Inev, don't you watch anime?
http://likeagiraffeinwater.com/category/weekly-review-of-transit-place-and-culture-in-anime/

edit: Ugh. De-filterify that link as needed.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:38:02 am by wombat »
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2014, 04:31:08 pm »

whaaaat this is great!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2014, 04:47:27 pm »

It is pretty amazing. I am glad that it actually doesn't tempt me to watch the anime, because it's going to take enough time just to read all the blog entries. But I feel like this is a perfect extraction of just the things I would like in those anime, without me having to sit through them.

The non-anime posts are good too, but maybe you need to have been there... You should go to Tokyo, it would be very educational. Do you write a thesis in the program you're in? Surely you can think of a topic that you could research there.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2014, 08:31:18 pm »

No thesis. We have to do two "studio" classes which are big group projects for real clients (usually local municipalities that need help with some kind of planning issue), but no thesis. I will definitely try to get to Tokyo, several of my friends went last year and rave about it.

When I moved in my roommate surveyed my stuff and asked if I'm "one of those people who is really into Japanese stuff." Oh nooooo.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2014, 11:11:05 pm »

Maybe after graduation I can get a fancy NYC real estate job and fly to Tokyo for fun.

The gagging sensation I felt when reading the Real Estate section of the NYT might suggest I don't have it in me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2014, 12:27:16 am »

When I moved in my roommate surveyed my stuff and asked if I'm "one of those people who is really into Japanese stuff."

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Is this one of those people who said it was normal for bugs to get in the window screens?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2014, 03:54:16 am »

Today I am reading about Austria, because I met an Austrian woman yesterday and was very confused. Somehow this whole time I thought Austria was like Bavaria or Prussia, just another part of Germany. I am not an ignorant person about geography, I just thought that they never became independent again after WWII? I follow international news, follow the EU, and have not heard a single mention of Austria in a modern context. How is their economy doing? Did they have problems during the recession, when EU countries were mentioned on the news constantly?
Maybe I recently slid into a different parallel timeline, and in my original timeline Austria didn't exist anymore.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2014, 11:59:53 am »

I think this is a normal thing to happen to an educated American because we just don't learn much about the outside world in school and you end up with weird gaps in your knowledge. I like to think so anyway because something similar happened to me the first time I heard of Russia invading Afghanistan. This seemed inexplicable because I had totally the wrong idea of where Afghanistan is - I thought it was in Africa somewhere maybe? Instead of having, like, a common border.

I know that story dates me - given more recent history everyone should know where Afghanistan is - but that wasn't true at the time.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2014, 12:59:41 pm »

Dude, Winter Olympics in 1964 and 1976?  Julie Andrews prancing through the promontories?  Arnold Schwarzenegger?  Those disgusting little sausages that come in cans?  Nothing?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2014, 03:14:36 pm »

Dude, Winter Olympics in 1964 and 1976? 

I don't think Inev was even alive in 1976.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32   Go Up